Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Lust, Caution (BR)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lust, Caution (BR)

Info courtesy of the L-man:

Ang Lee's Lust, Caution is set to receive its Korean BD premiere on June 15.

Specs:

1080p Widescreen Presentation 2.40:1
Chinese Dolby True HD 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1
English, Korean, and Chinese subs.

Pro-B
Old 05-21-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would love to get that. What region code is South Korea?
Old 05-21-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Southeast Asia.

B: Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.

C: India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central, and South Asia.
Pro-B
Old 05-21-08, 06:45 PM

Awsome news.
Old 05-21-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this movie was played at the charles at 1:85 not 2:40;1, so i think the info is wrong.
Old 05-22-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
this movie was played at the charles at 1:85 not 2:40;1, so i think the info is wrong.
I also believe that they simply did a typo, I am certain it will be in the OAR of 1.85:1. So, no worries:

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_d...%20Soon&genre=

Pro-B
Old 05-22-08, 11:38 AM

Yes! This should look amazing in HD. Do you know which distributor is releasing this in Korea?
Old 05-22-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dkny75
Do you know which distributor is releasing this in Korea?
Art Service.

Pro-B
Old 05-22-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Sweet. Glad I waited on picking up on SD.
Old 05-23-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can someone answer this question:

Why was Tang Wei banished from China, but not Tony Leung? (he's the one that had sex with her in the film, right?). It's wrong for her to have sex on screen but it's okay for Tony Leung?
Old 05-23-08, 04:29 PM

She's not banished, she's blacklisted in all the chinese media,not because of the sex scenes (most of them have been censored in the chinese theatres), but because her role.

She plays a traitor, a woman who choose love rather than her fatherland, that's why the censorship is so merciless, they refuse this idea. Ang Lee was spared because is an artistic adviser to the Beijing Olympics, Tony Leung is lucky is a famous star and born in HK.

Remember, for the Chinese Botanist Daughter, Dai Sijie the director asked Zhou Xun (Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress) to take the lead part, she accepted first, then declined because the chinese government put the pressure on her.
Old 05-29-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Given the history of (inconsistent) censorship of Korean DVDs, are we fairly certain that this will be the uncut version of the film?
Old 05-29-08, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Given the history of (inconsistent) censorship of Korean DVDs, are we fairly certain that this will be the uncut version of the film?
It's listed as the Unrated Edition, so presumably.
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6503

The regular DVD was also uncensored, apparently.
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6377
Old 05-30-08, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by dleedlee
It's listed as the Unrated Edition, so presumably.
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6503

The regular DVD was also uncensored, apparently.
http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_detail.asp?idx=6377

"unrated" does or does not mean it will be optically censored?
Old 05-30-08, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by tsetse27
"unrated" does or does not mean it will be optically censored?
I suppose that's always a possibilty. Though, the standard DVD is already out and I haven't heard that it was censored...not to say that it couldn't be. Was the theatrical screening censored? I only recall China, Malaysia and Singapore getting cut theatrical versions. I guess I'm presuming it won't be altered and others are presuming that it will be. Why is that? Has that been common practice for Korean DVDs, because I haven't noticed? But maybe I'm watching the wrong stuff.
Old 05-30-08, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by dleedlee
I suppose that's always a possibilty. Though, the standard DVD is already out and I haven't heard that it was censored...not to say that it couldn't be. Was the theatrical screening censored? I only recall China, Malaysia and Singapore getting cut theatrical versions. I guess I'm presuming it won't be altered and others are presuming that it will be. Why is that? Has that been common practice for Korean DVDs, because I haven't noticed? But maybe I'm watching the wrong stuff.
I have few Korean released DVDs (Last tempation of Christ and Beyond the Cloud,) which all "lower-body" nudity is optically censored. Seems their standard is similar to Japan. They can release movie "un-cut" but can still be optically censored in compliance with the law, if there are such "law" in Korea (I do not know for fact.)

I wonder, the word "unrated" is so widely used for marketing DVD nowadays but it usually refers to USA rating system, which may or may not have anything to do with the rating system in foreign country?
Old 05-30-08, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by tsetse27
I have few Korean released DVDs (Last tempation of Christ and Beyond the Cloud,) which all "lower-body" nudity is optically censored. Seems their standard is similar to Japan. They can release movie "un-cut" but can still be optically censored in compliance with the law, if there are such "law" in Korea (I do not know for fact.)
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that practice in Korea. Even the few Korean A/V videos I "might" have seen aren't pixelated that I can recall.
Old 05-30-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
My Korean version of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance has a very brief male frontal shot blurred, and the Korean version of Goodbye, Lenin that I saw also had a brief instance of male frontal blurred. Not sure if that's just common practice or if that's the law.
Old 05-30-08, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
My Korean version of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance has a very brief male frontal shot blurred,
Oh really? My copy's in the pile/box(es) somewhere. If I'd get around to watching it, I'd might have noticed. Thanks. Anybody else have other examples?
Old 05-30-08, 10:10 PM
Cool New Member

I have the limited edition DVD release from Korea and watched it last night, I didn't notice any blurring or pixelation..
Old 06-01-08, 08:15 AM

The japanese edition on September 16 with english subs.

Old 06-01-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd expect the Japanese release to be censored.

If the Korean release is coming out in a little over two weeks, I wonder why it isn't available for preorder yet.
Old 06-01-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The preliminary specs for the Japanese disc point only to DD tracks. I would wait for reviews before committing to it.

Pro-B
Old 06-02-08, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tutut
She's not banished, she's blacklisted in all the chinese media,not because of the sex scenes (most of them have been censored in the chinese theatres), but because her role.

She plays a traitor, a woman who choose love rather than her fatherland, that's why the censorship is so merciless, they refuse this idea. Ang Lee was spared because is an artistic adviser to the Beijing Olympics, Tony Leung is lucky is a famous star and born in HK.

Remember, for the Chinese Botanist Daughter, Dai Sijie the director asked Zhou Xun (Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress) to take the lead part, she accepted first, then declined because the chinese government put the pressure on her.
Sex is definitely one of the reason why Tang Wei was blacklisted, her traitor role is another reason....

For Chinese Botanist Daughter, Xiao Ran Li accepted that role finally. Xiao Ran Li was already a famous mainstream star in China; after Chinese Botanist Daughter, Xiao Ran Li could still star in Chinese TV series and movies (like Dragon Tiger Gate )
Old 06-02-08, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by marychan
Sex is definitely one of the reason why Tang Wei was blacklisted, her traitor role is another reason....
So why the actors from Lost in Beijing were not blacklisted for some explicit scenes ?
Is it easier with Tang Wei because she is not a famous established star ?

For Chinese Botanist Daughter, Xiao Ran Li accepted that role finally. Xiao Ran Li was already a famous mainstream star in China; after Chinese Botanist Daughter, Xiao Ran Li could still star in Chinese TV series and movies (like Dragon Tiger Gate )
The french actress Mylène Jampanoi replaced Zhou Xun for the role.

About the pressure on the actress from the Dai Sjie interview on a french site :

Qu’avez-vous pensé de l’attitude de Zhou Xun (l’actrice de Balzac et la petite tailleuse chinoise (2002)), à qui vous aviez proposé le rôle et qui l’a finalement abandonné ?

Il est vrai qu’elle a été convoquée et qu’on lui a suggéré de ne pas tourner dans ce film. Elle a fait un choix. Je le regrette beaucoup et, pour le coup, j’en suis personnellement touché car c’est une amie et j’aurais souhaité qu’elle ait un peu plus de détermination. Dongfu Lin et Li Xioran, deux très grands acteurs chinois, n’ont pas eu ces craintes, pas plus que les techniciens chinois de premier plan avec qui je souhaitais travailler. Tous ont accepté avant tout parce qu’ils avaient aimé le scénario. Pendant le tournage, ils ont été d’un grand soutien, tant moral qu’artistique.
«What did you think of Zhou Xun attitude (actress from Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (2002)), you proposed the role and who has finally quit ?»

«It's true that she has been convened and suggested not to play in this film. She made a choice. I am very sorry and, for once, I am personally touched because she is a friend and I wish she had a little more determination. Dongfu Lin and Li Xioran, two great chinese actors have not had these fears, nor top chinese technicians with whom I wanted to work. All have accepted primarily because they liked the script. During the shooting, they were a great support, both moral and artistic.»