Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anti-Videogame Attorney Jack Thompson found guilty of 27 out of 31 misconduct charges

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anti-Videogame Attorney Jack Thompson found guilty of 27 out of 31 misconduct charges

Old 05-21-08, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly the greatest news in gaming this month, possibly this year! Next step is sentencing!

Jack Thompson Guilty on 27 of 31 Misconduct Charges, Says Bar Trial Judge... FL Supreme Court Must Now Rule

The judge who presided over Jack Thompson's Florida Bar trial late last year has recommended that the controversial attorney be found guilty on 27 of 31 professional misconduct charges. The Florida Supreme Court must now rule on those recommendations.

In a report issued last week, Judge Dava Tunis writes:
After considering the arguments presented by the Florida Bar and the Respondent (Thompson), observing the Respondent's demeanor during the nine-day trial proceedings, and carefully reviewing the record consisting of four volumes of exhibits totaling 1700 pages and approximately 2400 pages of transcribed testimony, the Court finds that the facts, circumstances and evidence presented regarding the Respondent's conduct, supports a finding of guilt as to certain Florida Bar rules...
Tunis made 21 recommendations of guilt in relation to Thompson's participation in Strickland vs. Sony, an Alabama case in which the anti-game attorney represented the families of two police officers and a police dispatcher slain by 18-year-old Grand Theft Auto player Devin Moore.

Tunis also recommended that Thompson be found guilty on four out of five counts relating to his 2006 attempt to have Rockstar's Bully declared a public nuisance in a case before Miami Judge Ronald Friedman. An additional two guilty counts stemmed from a non-video game matter.

Among the Florida Bar offenses for which Judge Tunis has recommended a guilty verdict:
  • Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
  • Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
  • Communicating the merits of the case with a judge before whom the proceeding is pending
  • Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
  • Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
  • Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
  • Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge

Judge Tunis's full report to the Florida Supreme Court is due on September 2nd. In the meantime, a disciplinary hearing regarding possible sanctions against Thompson will be held before Judge Tunis on June 4th.

For his part, Thompson has made a number of allegations concerning Judge Tunis, including a complaint that state-mandated loyalty oaths were either not signed by the judge or were signed by others. Thompson also has filed federal lawsuits against the Florida Bar and Florida Supreme Court in relation to the Bar charges and other sanctions.
For all GamePolitics coverage of the Bar Trial of Jack Thompson, including transcripts, click here.
Old 05-21-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-21-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-21-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts
First Elliott Spitzer, now this. 2008 is turning into my year!
Old 05-21-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
You'd think he'd lose his license, but he won't. He'll get suspended, and that's about it. The bar is extremely reluctant to take away a license for anything other than stealing client's money.
Old 05-21-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Mwahahahha
Old 05-21-08, 02:25 PM

Couldnt have happened to a better guy
Old 05-21-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Awesome. Now if only Uwe Boll would write & direct his life story.
Old 05-21-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Misleading thread title, but still promising news. The only way this could have been better is if it'd happened on GTAIV's release date.
Old 05-21-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great news! Now I'm going to steal and kill some hookers and blame it all on video games!!
Old 05-21-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna go do some strength training and jog around the block and blame it all on video games!!!

Oh, wait...
Old 05-22-08, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
I'm gonna go do some strength training and jog around the block and blame it all on video games!!!
I think you need to lay off the BullShark Testosterone.
Old 05-22-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
But he's doing this for the children! Won't someone please think of the CHILDREN!!!!
Old 05-22-08, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think you need to lay off the BullShark Testosterone.

A gta reference in a Jack Thomson thread....nice....very nice
Old 05-24-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Audio Alert: SCMRPG Creator Danny Ledonne, Jack Thompson on Web Radio Show Tonight

Danny Ledonne, creator of the controversial Super Columbine Massacre RPG game has posted a message on Facebook concerning a radio interview this evening:

On Saturday, May 24th at 7pm EST, Danny Ledonne will appear on Free Talk Live radio to discuss his completed documentary "Playing Columbine: a true story of videogame controversy".

Joining him during the show will be attorney and activist Jack Thompson, one of the interviewees from the film. Ledonne and Thompson have previously appeared separately on the show; Thompson was also the first FTL guest to hang up on the hosts. The upcoming program can be streamed at http://www.freetalklive.com and the archive will be available online as a free .mp3 download after the show.
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/05/...o-show-tonight

This should be funny. I hope they bring up his misconduct charges.
Old 06-04-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Jack Thompson walks out on his own hearing. Kotaku article

This guy is too much. It will be a sad day when he is gone because he's always good for a laugh.
Old 06-04-08, 03:58 PM

I couldn't even finish his objection letter. The guy doesn't even go for fact as a weapon he goes for her jugular with "here-say" information that he doesn't even know is true or not, that he claims is a cover up. This man is a whack job. He straight up just says she isn't a judge so she can't judge him . I'm confused because . . if she's on the bench. . . she's a judge. Sorry. Wouldn't walking out like that be considered a form of contempt?
Old 06-04-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would he be disbarred in Florida from practicing law or disbarred from practicing nationally?
Old 06-04-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Would he be disbarred in Florida from practicing law or disbarred from practicing nationally?
Florida.
Old 06-04-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by metalhead212
I couldn't even finish his objection letter. The guy doesn't even go for fact as a weapon he goes for her jugular with "here-say" information that he doesn't even know is true or not, that he claims is a cover up. This man is a whack job. He straight up just says she isn't a judge so she can't judge him . I'm confused because . . if she's on the bench. . . she's a judge. Sorry. Wouldn't walking out like that be considered a form of contempt?
I remeber in the radio interview posted in this thread that the reason they were going after Jack Thompson was that he basically exposed one of the judges for not having the qualifications to be called a judge or something like that. I would've just thought crazy jack was making the accusation up but it was the host that brought it up in the beginning of the show.
Old 06-06-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Penny Arcade dares an opinion:

Jack Thompson hasn't been a fixture around here for quite awhile, largely due to the Beetlejuzian notion that speaking his name might cause him to become corporeal. As is so often the case, it was all "fun and games" until someone contacted the FBI. Specifically, him. I did not want to be Investigated by a Federal Bureau. This had the effect of transforming what had been farce into genuine rage.

Eventually, though, as his behavior became more craven, more incoherent, and more contemptibly vile, it became difficult to stoke an appreciable hatred. That is to say, it was difficult to pile the hatred atop a growing bulb of genuine pity. He increasingly began to reference a divine source for his media campaigns, which made me wonder what other voices he was hearing, and what precisely they were telling him to do. In today's incomparable strip, we posit one source.

This must be entered into the record, though: walking out of your own hearing? Truly, truly epic. I hope I can represent myself with as much vigor when I'm an irascible old coot.

Last edited by DGibFen; 06-06-08 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"claps"

It was funny when he got owned on G4.

Last edited by Jedi Master 33; 06-06-08 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-25-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disbarred!

DISBARRED

In a four-page written order, the Florida Supreme Court today affirmed a referee's recommendation to permanently disbar controversial Miami attorney Jack Thompson.

The action means that Thompson is no longer licensed to practicaw and may not apply for reinstatement. Noting not only Thompson's misconduct but that he displayed a "complete lack of remorse," the Court quoted from the report of Judge Dava Tunis, who served as referee at Thompson's 2007 trial on charges brought by the Florida Bar:

In her report, the referee states: Over a very extended period of time involving a number of totally unrelated cases and individuals, [r]espondent has demonstrated a pattern of conduct to strike out harshly, extensively, repeatedly and willfully to simply try to bring as much difficulty, distraction and anguish to those he considers in opposition to his causes. He does not proceed within the guidelines of appropriate professional behavior, but rather uses other means available to intimidate, harass, or bring public disrepute to those whom he perceives oppose him.

(more to follow)
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/09/25/disbarred

Drinks on me, fellas! This is a good day!
Old 09-25-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 09-26-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His Florida Bar listing says that although he's disbarred, he's still a "member in good standing" and "eligible to practice in Flordia." What the hell?

http://www.floridabar.org/names.nsf/...B?OpenDocument

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.