Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix "Very Long Wait"......again

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I've had "The Mist" and "State of Play" in my queue weeks before they were released, and they've both been out for a long long time now and both still are in "Very Long Wait" status. WTF Netflix!??
Old 05-20-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I think The Mist is a Blockbuster exclusive. Have to wait until BB's exclusive window ends.
Old 05-20-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
I think The Mist is a Blockbuster exclusive. Have to wait until BB's exclusive window ends.

Well BALLS!

But thanks for letting me know.
Old 05-20-08, 01:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
In addition to the Mist, these current DVDs are also Blockbuster exclusives: Diary of the Dead, Teeth, Awake, and The Great Debaters. I signed up for the free two week Blockbuster trial just to catch up on recent releases. It's easy to cancel before the trial is up.
Old 05-20-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that explains it. Geez, I thought The Mist was setting a record for the most requested movie in history or something.
Old 05-20-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Yeah I've been waiting on The Mist as well. Got Diary of the Dead today from them, though.
Old 05-20-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Yeah I've been waiting on The Mist as well. Got Diary of the Dead today from them, though.
Was going to say glad I'm not the only one. But I'm not really. All of us should have had this by now. So how do you explain "State of Play"? A British mini-series. Which is being made into an American film.
Old 05-20-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

State of Play has been on Long Wait for a while as well.

EDIT: Just checked my queue. Says it is available now.
Old 05-20-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
State of Play has been on Long Wait for a while as well.

EDIT: Just checked my queue. Says it is available now.
Just checked my queue. Still "Very long wait". What's so fucked up is that Disc 2 has always been available "Now".
Old 05-22-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, just checked it. State of PLay is back to Very Long Wait. Weird. And apparently Wall Street was moved to my Saved section.
Old 05-22-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
I've had "The Mist" and "State of Play" in my queue weeks before they were released, and they've both been out for a long long time now and both still are in "Very Long Wait" status. WTF Netflix!??
That's odd ... I got "The Mist" from Netflix right after it came out. Maybe just lucky?
Old 05-30-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I always thought the "Blockbuster Exclusives" only meant in-store rentals, not online.

I remember in the past when I was with Netflix, I got Weinstein movies fairly easily.
Old 05-30-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
That's odd ... I got "The Mist" from Netflix right after it came out. Maybe just lucky?
I'd have to look it up to get a better grasp of the law, but my understanding is that as a copyright owner, you can't put restrictions on the item after you sell it (ditto for patents). A copyright owner can certainly license its rights, but if you sell the goods themselves (in this case the movie), you can't put added restictions on the item. Which makes the whole exclusive rental thing a mysterty to me. Nothing stops Netflix from going to Walmart and buying a ton of copies for rental.

I suppose the studios offer better prices to rental outlets, which in the case of Weinstein and their exclusive deal means only offering that to Blockbuster. Maybe Netflix doesn't want to shell out a ton of cash for retail copies of the movie, but may acquire a few copies.
Old 05-30-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just an FYI. Both titles still in a "Very long wait" status. Ridiculous. Especially "State of Play". No way this DVD has the same interest as any Hollywood film. Hit or minor hit.
Old 05-30-08, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having really bad luck with Netflix right now, as well - I have 35 DVDs in my queue and 26 of them have some sort of "Wait" status, from short to very long. I haven't had a delayed shipment yet because of it, but I suspect that I may next week if some there isn't a status change on some of them ("Mist" and "State of Play" are two on "Very Long Wait" for me, as well).
Old 05-31-08, 06:17 PM

For me I mail my movies back Friday around 2pm. Netflix gets'em Monday and mails out that weeks new releases. If I don't hit this just right the new movies are "very long waits" it took me a couple of weeks to get my system down. Yours might be different depending on how close your center is.

this last week Memorial day messed me up.

my old queue is
I am legend 2nd disc vlw
the mist vlw
vexille vlw
rambo vlw
cleaner vlw
Old 06-02-08, 01:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had "La Vie en Rose" as Long Wait or worse for almost two months. It's not an issue of exclusivitiy (with that particular title, at least) because it's in their Play Now system.

Having been a Netflix subscriber for years, it's only been recently that I've seen anything beyond Short Wait and even then I only saw it rarely and never on more than one of my queued items at a time. Now I've got about half a dozen. Granted, my queue is bigger, but I have no doubt they've trimmed somewhere to get cost savings and we pay for it in decreased service.
Old 06-04-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nycbrent
I'm having really bad luck with Netflix right now, as well - I have 35 DVDs in my queue and 26 of them have some sort of "Wait" status, from short to very long. I haven't had a delayed shipment yet because of it, but I suspect that I may next week if some there isn't a status change on some of them ("Mist" and "State of Play" are two on "Very Long Wait" for me, as well).
Going on 10 weeks now since "The Mist" was released on DVD, and 14 weeks (!!!) since "State of Play", and they are STILL in "a very long wait" status in my queue. I've had them both in there since mid-Febuary. Fed up, I just called Netflix customer service and I told them this was ridiculous and unacceptible. I also told the agent either they don't have enough copies of each to distribute or they don't exist in their library. Especially on the latter title. Because you can't tell me "State of Play" is in that high demand. I also told her I know my comments would go no where, but thought it was a lousy way to treat a customer that had been with them since the beginning. If you're having the same problems, please call and let them know. 1-877-638-3549
Old 06-04-08, 11:43 PM

I remember some one posted that Mist was a Blockbuster Exclusive. Mist is also not at the redbox.com locations.