CSI:Miami 5/19: "Going Ballistic" *Season Finale*

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CSI:Miami 5/19: "Going Ballistic" *Season Finale*

Wow.

Did. Not. See. That. Coming.

The ending (who was ultimately responsible for the gunshot to end all gunshots) was so far out of the blue it seemed to have been made up on the spot! Where the hell did that betrayal come from?
Old 05-19-08, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I was pretty surprised as well, even if the twist made little sense. It was good to have a surprise since what happened to Horatio was both given away in previews and very obvious even without watching the previews.

I thought for sure Horatio's ex would be revealed as the ringleader. This may be the only time this show has ever surprised me.
Old 05-19-08, 11:34 PM

I didn't see the previews, and because they build up Horatio to be so unstoppable, I didn't expect it at all.

Unless I missed something, that betrayal makes no sense at all!
Old 05-20-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, based on past experiences (Delko) CSI:Miami-universe medical science, H should be back on his feet in a couple of days.

Or has David Caruso pulled a .... David Caruso?
Old 05-20-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I assume that his death is being faked.
Old 05-20-08, 10:38 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Oh, H will just get some of Claire's blood and they'll call it good.

... oops, wrong show.
Old 05-20-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
OK, I missed part of this to take a phone call. Could someone connect the dots.

Calleigh finds the scuzzy arms dealer was selling old, degraded ammo, they take a closer look at him, he confesses, and is killed in a drive-by as they prepare to transport him (I'm not sure who killed him).

Scuzzy boyfriend/husband of Horatio's ex is "obviously" involved but I'm not sure how. They seemed to lack any proof when I left.

[phone rings, I go away, and come back confused]

Horatio is alone outside the airplane. I guess his ex and kid stood him up (or are they on the plane?). Horatio gets shot. Somebody sends message "it's done." Maybe it is supposed to be a cliff-hanger.

Who killed arms dealer?
How is scuzzy boyfriend involved?
Do we know who ordered shoot, and who carried it out?
What happened with ex and kid?
Old 05-20-08, 03:03 PM

Scuzzy boyfriend was linked to the case when he turned up on a list of the arms dealer's clients (provided by the Undercover Fed guy). He has an alibi in the shooting - he and Elizabeth Berkley were getting married at the time.

The car that was used in the shooting was found abandoned. Apparently the car's bluetooth was synched with a cell phone which belonged to the arms dealer's partner. He was brought in for questioning and confessed to Ryan and Calleigh, saying that a man put a gun to his head and told him that if he didn't kill the arms dealer, he'd be killed.

Around this time, Ryan starting looking at his phone, and told Calleigh that he had to leave to take care of something.

Meanwhile, Horatio tells his kid's mom to meet him at 5:00, and he'll get them out of the country. For no reason that I understood (seeing as they were married earlier that day), she agrees.

Just prior to the time that they are to meet at the airport, EB tells the kid there's something she needs to take care of, and leaves the hotel.

The guy that threatened the partner was the original dead guy's brother, and he also was the main distributor of the alloy bullets used to kill the dealer. He threatens H as he's being led away, and later is shown making a call from (prison?) telling an unknown person to kill Horatio and to text him when it's done.

Horatio is stood up at the airport, and it sounds like you saw the rest.

-----

Based on that timeline, I don't see any reason to think that
Spoiler:
....Ryan....
was involved at all, and the last scene was just to mislead viewers, IMO.

Also, given the number of episodes this season that have either involved Calleigh doing something wrong or appearing to others that she's done something wrong, I was surprised that nobody on the show even mentioned her causing an explosion that demolished her lab.
Old 05-20-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks.
Old 05-20-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
god, can't a crime related show get gun laws right for once
it's not illegal to sell old ammo from combloc countries, people buy surplus 7.62x54R all the time that was made in the 50s, 60s and 70s in hungary, yugoslavia and even russia
Old 05-21-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
The ending (who was ultimately responsible for the gunshot to end all gunshots) was so far out of the blue it seemed to have been made up on the spot! Where the hell did that betrayal come from?
It could've easily been the classic "bait and switch": the text message had nothing to do with the gunshot. I also like the "it's all a trick" idea too.

That final shot of the cracked sunglasses is exactly like the print ads they've been using for a while now. So either it was a clue to how the season would end all along or they decided it would've been cool to tie in with the ad. Given this is Miami, I'm going with the latter.
Old 05-21-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
No! Not the sunglasses!

Can old bullets really explode like that by hitting the ground from a few feet up?

Also, what happened to Alex? I was happy to see the new ME instead of creepy Alex - the new ME was attractive, and then she was dead within a few seconds.
Old 05-21-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Also, what happened to Alex? I was happy to see the new ME instead of creepy Alex - the new ME was attractive, and then she was dead within a few seconds.
Alexx decided to "spend more time with the living" two episodes ago. The actress has left the series.
Old 05-21-08, 10:35 AM

Unlike CSI, this show rarely changes its credit sequences. When an actor leaves the show, CSI will change its credits immediately, but not the case with Miami, which probably didn't want to bother so close to the end of the season. So to some people who missed Alexx's final episode, for her to suddenly not be there but still in the credits is understandably confusing.

The look on Ryan's face as he got the text message was the giveaway to me, like he was upset by that message, perhaps to him it wasn't a case of 'good, the bastard's gone', but instead something deeper than that, a bit of regret.
Old 05-21-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
That final shot of the cracked sunglasses is exactly like the print ads they've been using for a while now. So either it was a clue to how the season would end all along or they decided it would've been cool to tie in with the ad. Given this is Miami, I'm going with the latter.

They've been showing the sunglasses all season. This was not teh surprise that some peole were making it out to be. The ads basically told us Horatio was going ot eb shot. The final scene where they showed the sunglasses on teh tarmac was just the icing on the cake.
Old 05-21-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
No! Not the sunglasses!

Can old bullets really explode like that by hitting the ground from a few feet up?

I suppose it's possible, but primers usually need something at least slightly pointed to hit them to go off, otherwise tubular magazine guns couldn't exist
Old 05-22-08, 06:31 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Finally caught this last night and I have to say that it completely caught me offguard and wasn't expecting it at all. I think I've seen the print ad, but it was a long time ago and honestly I never put 2 + 2 together.

I don't have it on DVR now, but I do have a question. When they were interrogating that guy at the end and wanted to check his phone, is there any chance that Ryan looked at it and could have done a "switch"? Sounds like a long shot I know.

Guess we'll have to wait til next season. Any idea when that starts?
Old 05-23-08, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Next season will probably start around mid-September like previous years.

Now this was a good Miami finale and totally made up for last years piece of dog shit.

H will be fine by the season premiere, but I am curious what the deal is with Ryan.

I am once again crossing my fingers we will get more guest spots from Sofia Milos next season.
Old 05-30-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe H will lose his memory and go through next season believing he is really his drug-dealing alias Sonny Burnett.