Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bones---"The Pain in the Heart"---SEASON FINALE---5/19/08

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Bones---"The Pain in the Heart"---SEASON FINALE---5/19/08

Bones doesn't really get alot of attention here, but hell it's the season finale.

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

In the third-season finale, the arrival of a human jawbone at the Jeffersonian looks like the work of the Gormogon, while the disappearance of the silver skeleton from the lab suggests one of their own may be working as the serial killer's apprentice.

Old 05-19-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Next season is going to feel really weird, not sure how the cast chemistry will hold up.
Old 05-19-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things might be a little awkward at first. They're going to need to replace Zack, and with the introduction of Bones' grad students helping out this episode, there might be a Survivor-esque whittling down before a permanent replacement is found.

I do realize that that was House's plotline this season, but I imagine Bones could adapt it in a less cynical fashion.

Spoiler:
As far as guessing the apprentice, every time someone accused someone, I immediately jumped on them as the guilty one. So, of course, I was wrong at every turn. Having Zack get injured of course took him out of my mind... which I guess should have put him squarely as the frontrunner
Old 05-19-08, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there will be any cast changes. This doesn't mean anyone's leaving the show. The actor himself confirmed no one was leaving.

Loved the opening, but VERY saddened by the ending.
Old 05-20-08, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I don't think there will be any cast changes. This doesn't mean anyone's leaving the show. The actor himself confirmed no one was leaving.

Loved the opening, but VERY saddened by the ending.
Spoiler:
Definitely will be cast changes. Zach is 100% gone. He is not on any of fox's press releases (see the link http://thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7648) for the show for next season. Where did he confirm no one was leaving?
Old 05-20-08, 12:27 AM

I was pretty sure it was Zach, and it was confirmed when he didn't want the drugs. It was even foreshadowed when he said they shouldn't stay with him.
Old 05-20-08, 01:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
Spoiler:
Definitely will be cast changes. Zach is 100% gone. He is not on any of fox's press releases (see the link http://thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7648) for the show for next season. Where did he confirm no one was leaving?
I caught that during the press release to and knew he was either going to be killed, or be the killer.
Old 05-20-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, that is too bad. I enjoyed Zach. Great episode. I thought it was Sweets.
Old 05-20-08, 06:06 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Zach was a nice character, but in the overall scheme of things, he was the weakest willed, seeking approval from everyone. Upon reflection, it is sort of logical that he would be the one swayed to the dark side.
Old 05-20-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by N2DVD
Zach was a nice character, but in the overall scheme of things, he was the weakest willed, seeking approval from everyone. Upon reflection, it is sort of logical that he would be the one swayed to the dark side.
I agree... thought the exact same thing at the end of the episode. Strange to write the character out now and this way though. They could have dispensed with him in a much more friendly way when he went to Iraq.

Not sure where this show is going. Also was a little annoyed with the Boothe bugaboo where he's recovered from being shot 5 minutes into the second part of the finale... Overall the whole Gormagon plot was a weak seasonal arc (I'd pretty much forgotten almost everything about it between the few episodes they centered on it and the strike) seemingly structured only to eliminate Zach. Bones' father's storyline was the central arc for me this season.
Old 05-20-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think the Gormagon arc is over. I think it is a ploy. The guy they killed was the apprentice, Zach was a stooge. And I think Sweets is the man. He still didn't account for where he was during the explosion. The skeleton went missing and the other guy wouldn't have had access. Zach said he was approached 3 months earlier so it was too soon for him to really be too into the whole deal.

We will just have to see what happens, but I would bet that it is not over.
Old 05-20-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Weak, they took what could have been a great season arc and gave us 3 to 4 episodes focused on it and for the most part forgot about it the entire season.

Still doesn't explain why Hodgens thought the dentures were made of acrylic or whatever he said. And then to make the big bad a no name that gets taken out in a montage? I would blame it on the writers strike but weren't all of the episodes done even before the strike?
Old 05-20-08, 09:37 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was hoping Gormagon was going to be the black guy who was in charge of the Jeffersonian in season one.
Old 05-20-08, 09:44 AM

Apparently he really is leaving the show, but may be back in a recurring role. I'm wondering if they'll use him in sort of a Silence of the Lambs way that they visit him in the asylum and use him to help solve cases. This sucks, I always liked the Zach character and I really don't think the show needed the shakeup.

TVGuide.com: OK, so I have to say this out loud. Zack is the Gormogon apprentice.
Millegan: Yup.

TVGuide.com: I'm still cringing. How far in advance did you know about it?
Millegan: Two months ago. They met with me and told me and I was like, "What? Zack eats people?" And they told me that I don't eat people, I kill them — I never reached the eating stage. And I was like, "Oh, My god." But I was kind of excited because I knew it was going to be an exciting send-off.

TVGuide.com: So you're leaving the show?
Millegan: Yeah. But they said, "You know, you're not going to get killed, so we'll still have the option of bringing you back." It was shocking, and I just had to follow it and know that this is what's happening. Zack ends up carted away to a psychiatric facility, but there is the possibility that the others may come visit me.

TVGuide.com: So we might see you next season then?
Millegan: Well, I'm not a series regular anymore, but it's possible that I'll be back from time to time. I can't say much more than that, unfortunately.

TVGuide.com: Was this all written for you because you wanted to leave the show, or are you simply following the fate of your character?
Millegan: Oh, I'm following the fate of my character. It wasn't my choice — it was a creative decision to shake things up and make a good season finale.

TVGuide.com: So you only found out you were the apprentice after the strike?
Millegan: That's right. About a couple weeks before we resumed shooting.

TVGuide.com: Were there more Zack storylines that would have been pursued, had there not been a strike?
Millegan: Yes. As you know, at the end of Season 2, I went off to Iraq. They wanted to address it all in Season 3, but because of the strike they never got to it.

TVGuide.com: I was wondering when the show was going to address Zack's post-traumatic stress. I kept waiting to see how he was going to deal with it.
Millegan: Yeah, I'm sad that we never got to go there.

TVGuide.com: When you first heard about the Gormogon storyline, who did you think the culprit might end up being?
Millegan: You know, I didn't think about it. People on the board started saying they thought it was Sweets, the psychiatrist. But that didn't even dawn on me. And it never dawned on me that it might be one of us, either.

TVGuide.com: When did the rest of the cast know that it was going to be you?
Millegan: Not until I knew. After they told me, they told everyone else.

TVGuide.com: Was it hard to keep it a secret form the rest of the world?
Millegan: Yes. But it's my job to keep it a secret. And one thing that was hard was that Mike Ausiello did an interview with me at TV Guide's Sexiest Stars party, and he asked if I was leaving the show. I said no, and I didn't say I was leaving because I wasn't allowed to. But then everybody on the message boards ran with that, saying, "Nobody's leaving the show!" And I just thought, "Oh no, people are going to be mad at me when they find out."

TVGuide.com: The actor who plays the master Gormogon, we haven't seen him on the show before, right?
Millegan: No.

TVGuide.com: So was it strange playing Zack as a bad guy?
Millegan: He's not so much a bad guy. He's more a victim of brainwashing. It's Zack's intelligence that got in the way, because Gormogon rationalized [his cause] with him.

TVGuide.com: Do you think by the end of the episode, Zack really understood how he'd been used by the Gormogon master?
Millegan: Yeah, I think it really hit him hard. And actually, there was a moment that was cut out of the episode of Zack saying he's sorry right after he explains how to catch Gormogon. Just an "I'm sorry." I saw the cut, and realized they'd cut that out and was like, "No! Zack has to say he's sorry!"

TVGuide.com: What have you've enjoyed most about working on this show?
Millegan: Working with the people. David [Boreanaz], Emily [Deschanel], T.J.[Thyne], Michaela[Conlin] and Tamara [Taylor] have been just wonderful to work with, and we really bonded very closely. Emily and I are even going to be singing "I Got You Babe" together at an AIDS benefit in August. So I'm still going to be bonded to them.

TVGuide.com: I think fans are going to feel like there's an important chunk of the family missing.
Millegan: I hope so. I hope people miss me.
Old 05-20-08, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
[QUOTE=rfduncan Also was a little annoyed with the Boothe bugaboo where he's recovered from being shot 5 minutes into the second part of the finale... [/QUOTE]

IIRC, his "funeral" was 2 weeks after he was shot. So he could have recovered i that time.
Old 05-20-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

More I have thought about it, the more it just doesn't sit right. I don't mind them finding a way to get rid of someone, but this is too cheap. Zach was not a weak personality, and the idea that he could end up murdering someone is laughable. Then you have him spouting "the logic of the master" and stuff like that?

Bah, the more I have thought about it, the more this was just a weak attempt to make something interesting.
Old 05-20-08, 11:27 AM

From Eric Millegan himself, posted on the official FOX Bones forum:

Hello wonderful members of the Boneyard,

Now that you've seen tonight's episode, you've found out what I found out two months ago. I will no longer be a series regular on "Bones." Creatively, they decided to carry out this storyline in which my character, Zack, was the apprentice to the Gormogon serial killer. The storyline landed Zack in a psychiatric facility and so he is no longer working at the Jeffersonian. This wasn't my choice, but I embraced the challenge as an actor.

Over the last two months, I have been auditioning for some very interesting projects and I will keep you informed as to how it all goes. I'm also planning on bringing my cabaret show to NYC before the year is over. Once the date is set, I will let you know. I want to apologize to all of you for the times, over the last two months, in which I've had to be vague about still working on the show. I know that I told TV Guide that no one was leaving the show and well, you never know, my character is alive and there's always the chance that he could return. Maybe they'll have to visit Zack to help solve a case! I couldn't tell you the whole truth because I was sworn to secrecy by the producers to tell no one about my leaving the show until now. I hated not being able to tell you (it really really sucked) but well, unfortunately, it was my job to keep the secret. There you go. I will really miss being on the show and I will really miss working with my friends David, Emily, Michaela, TJ, John, Tamara, Patricia and company. I loved working with Hart, Stephen, Barry and all the other producers, writers, and directors. I enjoyed working with the crew and it was an honor to be a member of the FOX family for 3 years. From day one, I have read all of your comments every night after every show and it's meant so much to me. You have been my live audience. Thank you.

Eric Millegan
http://forums.fox.com/n/mb/message.a...es&msg=10994.1

Terrible choice, they did nothing with his character and now they never will.
Old 05-20-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by fallfan
TVGuide.com: Were there more Zack storylines that would have been pursued, had there not been a strike?
Millegan: Yes. As you know, at the end of Season 2, I went off to Iraq. They wanted to address it all in Season 3, but because of the strike they never got to it.

TVGuide.com: I was wondering when the show was going to address Zack's post-traumatic stress. I kept waiting to see how he was going to deal with it.
Millegan: Yeah, I'm sad that we never got to go there.
I think it would've been interesting if they had tied Zack's time in Iraq with his reveal as the apprentice. Maybe Zack saw/did things in Iraq that shook him and his sense of morality, and the Gormogon stepped in at the vulnerable time and exploited it. He could've convince Zack that the wars like that in Iraq were caused by these secret societies. That would've been slightly more credible than just saying Zack was a "weak mind."
Old 05-20-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think this is entirely out of character, but it needed more build-up. If they'd delved more into his Iraq experiences, it could've made sense, but this felt like they put the names of the supporting cast in a hat and pulled one at random.
Old 05-20-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

He couldn't even lie about stuff. He was nearly 100% analytical. More analytical than Bones. I still think that if they wanted to do it this way, they should have waited for next season and built it around his time in Iraq, etc.
Old 05-20-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
Weak, they took what could have been a great season arc and gave us 3 to 4 episodes focused on it and for the most part forgot about it the entire season.

Still doesn't explain why Hodgens thought the dentures were made of acrylic or whatever he said. And then to make the big bad a no name that gets taken out in a montage? I would blame it on the writers strike but weren't all of the episodes done even before the strike?
Yeah, one of my biggest gripes after the finale was that the big bad (so to speak) of the season was a completely anonymous guy, someone we had never seen before. Granted, I realize the big shock was the apprentice reveal, but it also would have made more sense for Zach to have been so influenced by someone he actually knew.

I'm betting that guy who testified at the trial of Bones' father, the one who cross-examined Zach, will be the guy who takes over Zach. I can see the transition done pretty seamlessly if it's handled like that. Not sure if I would care for an arc over a few episodes trying to find Zach's replacement.

I'll give the show credit, though. I may not be completely happy with the result, but damn was I invested in the episode while I was watching it! A shame, though, because I remember reading that they had planned to spend a few more episodes setting up the finale. That would have been much better.
Old 05-20-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm betting that guy who testified at the trial of Bones' father, the one who cross-examined Zach, will be the guy who takes over Zach. I can see the transition done pretty seamlessly if it's handled like that. Not sure if I would care for an arc over a few episodes trying to find Zach's replacement.
That character, Clark Edison, also appeared at the beginning of the season as Zack's likely replacement until Zack suddenly came back from Iraq. So it does make sense for him to be re-recruited as Zack's replacement this time. I'm thinking his appearance in the trial episode was to refresh the audience's memory.
Old 05-20-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the other hand, the two grad students with speaking lines would be logical choices for interns.
Old 05-20-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
That character, Clark Edison, also appeared at the beginning of the season as Zack's likely replacement until Zack suddenly came back from Iraq. So it does make sense for him to be re-recruited as Zack's replacement this time. I'm thinking his appearance in the trial episode was to refresh the audience's memory.
Yeah, I thought we had seen him before, but for some reason I thought maybe it was from another show because he almost seemed to treated like a new character. I don't know, probably just me.

But I could see the interns getting some more screen time as well, maybe recurring roles.
Old 05-20-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, this is awesome, I thought the gunshot at the end of last week's ep. was the finale...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.