Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Phillip Law dies at 70

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John Phillip Law, angel in 'Barbarella,' dies at 70

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- John Phillip Law, the strikingly handsome 1960s movie actor who portrayed an angel in the futuristic "Barbarella" and a lovesick Russian seaman in "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming," died Tuesday. He was 70.

Law died at his Los Angeles home, his former wife, Shawn Ryan, told the Los Angeles Times. The cause of death was not announced.

With vivid eyes, blond hair and imposing physique, Law was much in demand by filmmakers in the late 1960s and early '70s.

He gained wide notice in 1966 with Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner and Theo Bikel in "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming," Norman Jewison's Cold War comedy in which a Soviet submarine runs aground off a peaceful New England island town.

He played the sweet Russian youth who falls in love with a local American girl in the film, which was nominated for four Oscars including best picture, actor (Arkin) and director.

French director Roger Vadim put Law's looks to good use in his 1968 science fiction film, "Barbarella," which starred Vadim's then-wife, Jane Fonda, as a sexy space traveler in the faraway future. Law wore wings to portray Pygar, a blind angel.

"I've had more kicks out of playing far-out things," Law told the Los Angeles Times in 1966. "It's like putting on a funny face and going out in front of people and going, 'yaaaaaa.' "

Messages left Thursday for Fonda's New York publicist were not immediately returned.

Law was World War I ace Baron Manfred von Richtofen in the 1971 "The Red Baron" and Charlton Heston's son in "The Hawaiians," a 1970 sequel to "Hawaii," based on James Michener's sprawling novel.

In Otto Preminger's 1967 film, "Hurry Sundown," he was a war veteran struggling to preserve his farm against a land speculator played by Michael Caine. Fonda played Caine's wife.

He continued his career in a variety of U.S. and foreign films and television over the past 30 years, including appearances in "The Young and the Restless" and "Murder, She Wrote."

Law was a California native, born in 1937 to actress Phyllis Sallee and her husband, a police officer. He told the Los Angeles Times he did some extra work in films as a child. He said he put acting ambitions aside in his teens, but his interest was renewed in a college drama class.

He worked in the theater in New York for a while before breaking into the movies, spending some time in the Repertory Theater of Lincoln Center, whose directors included the great Elia Kazan.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

I always liked John, even though he wasn't much of an actor.

Last edited by Numanoid; 05-15-08 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh no! Very sad news. Barbarella is probably my favorite of all his movies, with Danger: Diabolik next.

Farewell Pygar, you will be missed.
Old 05-16-08, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP

I'm very fond of Danger: Diabolik. And I know JPL would do lots of appearances around LA whenever it was played.
Old 05-16-08, 02:51 AM
Suspended

I really have no idea who this guy is but he was 70.
Old 05-16-08, 04:12 AM

He was in one of my favourite movies - Attack Force Z - with Mel Gibson and Sam Neill. A very sensitive and effective actor when he wanted to be.
Old 05-16-08, 09:11 AM

RIP

Old 05-16-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
R.I.P.

Danger: Diabolik is one of my favorites. I think he was awesome in it. 70 is pretty young these days, so it's a shame he went so soon. I never got a chance to meet him.
Old 05-18-08, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kalgan in Space Mutiny! He was being undermined by his own disciples!

RIP
Old 05-18-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Ever since he was a little boy, there was one thing he always wanted to do. Find four men. And kill them!