Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tintin - The Crab with the Golden Claws 1947

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The never seen 1947 animated film The Crab with the Golden Claws is released on DVD today in France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cra...aws_%28film%29

Last edited by O=&=O; 05-14-08 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-14-08, 05:34 AM

Cool! Thanks for the info. I was about to say I've never seen this, before realising what a redundant comment that'd be - no, I never made it to either of the 1947 screenings

But I will try to pick this up - looks really interesting.

Dazza.
Old 05-14-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow, thanks...i'll buy it even without english subtitles..are there any?
Old 05-14-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can you please link a site that sells this dvd please?
Old 05-14-08, 11:00 AM

www.fnac.fr (currently at 15 E but I dunno their shipping cost or if they do ship to the US)

Amazon.fr should get copies. I do not know why they have none today as it was on presale earlier.
Old 05-15-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered mine for 29 euro at fnac.fr.
Old 05-15-08, 08:39 AM

Up at Amazon.fr:

http://www.amazon.fr/Tintin-crabe-au...0858715&sr=1-7
Old 05-15-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I have to get this one.

I hope Steven Spielberg does a good job on his TinTin movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983193/

Dirk
Old 05-19-08, 08:58 AM

I went into FNAC on Saturday and picked this up for 15€. It's only a DVD-5 and it has no extras whatsoever (unless you include scene selection), but is a nice looking disc and cover with a slipcase. Haven't watched it yet, but as it's only an hour long I should manage to get it seen later this week. Regardless of how good it is it probably isn't tremendous value considering its length and cost (especially if you're outside the Eurozone), but if Tintin is your thing there's probably no way you'll want to pass this up. Will post back once I've found the time to watch it...

Dazza.
Old 06-04-08, 11:22 AM

OK, took me a bit longer than I would have liked to get round to watching this (huge unwatched pile that only seems to increase...)
Anyway, I found this to be very enjoyable. Tintin fans will be familair with the story, which is good fun, and it's really interesting to see it given the stop-motion treatment. On the whole I found the animation to be nice to look at, and there are some odd little touches (such as mixing in some live action footage). Milou/Snowy is especially charming in this stop-motion guise, and very much steals the show.
As for the disc: well, as you'd expect, the quality of the print isn't terrific as regards PQ, and the audio track has a near-constant hiss present. Some of the dialogue is slightly muffled and therefore a little tricky to hear (and there are no subs of any kind included; just French audio), but in the main this isn't a problem. All in, I think none of us would expect crystal-clear sound & vision for this title; it's more of a historical document that now can be seen by a far wider audience thanks to DVD.
On the whole, I'm very pleased to see this out on DVD, and it will appeal to fans of Tintin and also those with an interest in the history of animated film. As mentioned in my previous post, I bought this in-store, and I can appreciate that the shipping to North America (for example) will no doubt be quite high, so I guess it depends on how much of a Tintin fan you are. Much as I like Tintin, I wouldn't much have liked to have bought this online as to me 15€ is more than enough to spend on a 1-hr DVD-5...

Dazza
Old 06-04-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dazza, as you said the shipping to the US is very expensive thru amazon.fr. Are you interested in anything from the US? Maybe I can buy something that you would like and we can exchange DVDs. I sometimes send a couple of DVDs to a friend in Germany and it's only around $8 to send it. Let me know if there is anything I could buy you here and you could get the Tintin DVD for me and send it. How much is it to send a DVD in a bubble envelope to the US for you?

Dirk
Old 06-05-08, 04:26 PM

Dirk - good idea, and I like the idea of an exchange (there's always R1 stuff I'm looking for)... the only thing is I'm not too sure when I'll next be at an Fnac or somewhere that sells this disc. I don't live especially close to an Fnac, but before I next go to one (or somewhere that might sell the DVD) how about if I PM you to see if you still want/need it? I should be going to somewhere that'll sell it over the course of the summer.
Sorry I can't be more help at the moment... but the disc exchange idea is a good one, as it could be sent from here to the US for a fraction of the cost that many online retailers would charge...

Best wishes

Dazza
Old 06-05-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pity about the lack of subs, love anything Tintin related here.
Old 06-06-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched this too...English subtitles aren't really that necessary, but If anything I wish it came with French subtitles, because I had trouble understanding the muffled audio of the French.