Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Moore making '9/11' sequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Documentary to be released in 2009
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK, ANNE THOMPSON
Michael Moore is making a sequel to "Fahrenheit 9/11" for Paramount Vantage and Overture Films, who will shop the project to international buyers when the Cannes Film Festival and market get under way today.

The two companies are co-financing and co-producing the untitled documentary, which will be released in 2009. Overture will distribute the film domestically, while Vantage will handle international.

Moore may be leaving the Weinstein Co. -- where he made his last two films, including "Fahrenheit" -- but Overture and Vantage are no strangers to the filmmaker. Overture CEO Chris McGurk and COO Danny Rosett were both at MGM and United Artists, home of Moore's "Bowling for Columbine."

Moore also knows Vantage topper Nick Meyer, former president of Lionsgate's international arm. Lionsgate teamed with Bob and Harvey Weinstein and distributed Fahrenheit after Disney refused to let Miramax to do so. Lionsgate again teamed with the Weinstein's to distribute Moore's last docu, "Sicko."

Also, Moore is no stranger to the Croisette. "Fahrenheit," a scathing indictment of George W. Bush's war on terrorism and a hit at the worldwide box office, won the coveted Palm d'Or in 2004. "Bowling for Columbine" also played at Cannes, while "Sicko" premed here last year.

It's possible that his new docu could play at Cannes next year, if it isn't released earlier in the Spring. He's already at work on the docu.

"Clearly, we have a movie of global appeal here. Michael Moore is a very talented filmmaker, and this is a branded property," Meyer said.

Sequel will pick up where "Fahrenheit" left off. In the time since, President Bush's popularity has plummeted, while the Iraq war continues and the economy falters.

"It's a vote of confidence on Michael's part, and a great partnership for all of us," Rosett said. "There is a voracious appetite for this kind of commentary."

All in all, Moore has made three of the top five grossing documentaries of all time. "Fahrenheit" is the highest grossing docu ever domestically, earning $119.1 million. It grossed another $100 million at the international box office.

Moore's decision not to make his next film with the Weinstein Co. comes after "Sicko" failed to ignite the box office. Film, which took on the U.S. health care system, grossed $24.5 million domestically and $11.2 million internationally. Topically, the film didn't resonate with overseas auds.

Landing the "Fahrenheit" sequel is a high-profile score for Overture and Vantage, and a likely blow for the Weinstein Co.

Deal strengthens the already established relationship between Vantage and Overture. Last year, the two entered into an exclusive international distribution deal that gives Overture access to Vantage's international sales division, as well as the distrib arm of Paramount Pictures Intl.

Vantage will likely keep distribution rights to certain overseas territories, after selling off the rest.
Source

I think Moore's a tool. Just sharing the info.
Old 05-13-08, 02:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, this seals the deal. No way Bush will get re-elected this time!
Old 05-13-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank

Just sharing the info.
bullshit
Old 05-13-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bring it on. I find it hard to fault him for his obvious slant since that's where I tend to lean. I enjoyed Fahrenheit 9/11 and look forward to a similar follow-up.
Old 05-13-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of all the movies that needed a sequel, Fahrenheit 9/11 wasnt one of them.
Old 05-13-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Moore's a tool.
Understatement of the year.
Old 05-13-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a shame, since he's right more often than he's not, and some of these messages deserve to be out there... unfortunately he is just such a goddamned tool.

If a liberal like me can't stand the guy, others must hate him with the burning intensity of a thousand suns. Documentaries should speak for themselves, not be drowned out by the windbag making them.

-Doc
Old 05-13-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

he doesnt look at both sides... but oh well who cares what michael moore thinks... the rich snitch doesnt live like the poor or help anyone...
Old 05-13-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
It's a shame, since he's right more often than he's not, and some of these messages deserve to be out there... unfortunately he is just such a goddamned tool.

If a liberal like me can't stand the guy, others must hate him with the burning intensity of a thousand suns. Documentaries should speak for themselves, not be drowned out by the windbag making them.

-Doc
The problem then is that nobody wil see it, love him or hate him, MM makes entertaining documentaries that actually get people to talk. He turned a doc on the health care industry into the third highest grossing doc of all time.
Old 05-13-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
bullshit
Ok.....?

Somebody was eventually gonna post it. It was either going to be someone gushing over the brilliance of Moore OR someone whining about liberal Hollywood. I just posted it. Thanks for the kind words though. Very mature
Old 05-13-08, 03:40 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Ok.....?

Somebody was eventually gonna post it. It was either going to be someone gushing over the brilliance of Moore OR someone whining about liberal Hollywood. I just posted it. Thanks for the kind words though. Very mature
Just sharing wouldn't include "I think Moore's a tool." Not that I care what you think of the guy, but don't play dumb like you didn't have a motive after you write something like that.
Old 05-13-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is news? Moore stated he was going to make a sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11 shortly after the first film came out back in 2004.
Old 05-13-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
This is news? Moore stated he was going to make a sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11 shortly after the first film came out back in 2004.
Well, wouldn't it be news since nothing has been said since? Four years later.
Old 05-13-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome. This will be Fahrenheit 9/11 times 100.
Old 05-13-08, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Calculon
Awesome. This will be Fahrenheit 9/11 times 100.

81.8181818181818181818181818181.... ?
Old 05-13-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is like when Kevin Smith decided to do Clerks 2.
Old 05-13-08, 08:21 PM

If there's a donkey scene in it, there's no way anyone will see it.
Old 05-13-08, 08:39 PM

Speaking of Bullshit, I'd prefer watching new episodes of Penn and Teller's Bullshit over a MM documentary. They make me laugh a lot more, usually show boobies and, more often than not, shed more light on subjects in 30 minutes than a full-length doc. A lot of their topics I'm not that educated about or haven't really formed an opinion on because they don't specifically concern me. For instance, I just watched their Boy Scouts episode and had no idea the Mormon Church played such a large part in the organization today. I learned a bit and laughed a lot.
Old 05-13-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Uhhhh...

What's the point of a sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11?

Bush is going to be out of office by the time it comes out, the whole Iraq thing has been beaten to death (and pretty much everyone has made up their minds already), and no one expects this to be at all balanced (Moore will do his magic again with the editing to "prove" his points and to leave out facts that point at all to the contrary).

So why is he bothering? Isn't this just a colossal waste of time?

Is this just a desperate attempt to get back in the spotlight? A money grab? (I'm sure Moore's gonna make a shitload of money off of this one.)

Is there a point at all, or is this just a chance for the anti-war crowd to gather and celebrate the end of W's time in office? (And make Michael Moore another $10 million to put in his Swiss bank account...)
Old 05-13-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

... and here I figured that he'd have something out by November ... though that didn't help too much last time, did it?

I don't mind the guy having an opinion, but his "documentaries" and the hype surrounding them are more about him than the topic.
Old 05-14-08, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
It's a shame cause Moore's movies have merits, as I have enjoyed many in the past, but they are so damn one sided, and never gets any opposing opinions to balance it out. It is not a documentary, it is a propoganda tool to get democrats elected.
Old 05-14-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone needs to remind Moore his 15 minutes are up.
Old 05-14-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FiveO
15 minutes that have lasted since 1989? That's a pretty long 15 minutes.
Old 05-14-08, 11:40 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
It's a shame cause Moore's movies have merits, as I have enjoyed many in the past, but they are so damn one sided, and never gets any opposing opinions to balance it out. It is not a documentary, it is a propoganda tool to get democrats elected.
watch Fox News, and there you have it.
Old 05-14-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by FiveO

I don't know....SICKO was pretty entertaining and you can't say it didn't impact politics (both Obama and Clinton's biggest stump proposals are for Universal Health Care).

And say what you want about the original 9/11...Moore was one of the first ones out there ranting against the war - long before it was popular to do so.

But I agree we don't need another anti-Bush movie at this point (that ship has sailed). But if Moore is going to use this movie to tackle our oil dependency or how we've sold our soul to China, I'm in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.