Search this Thread

Old 05-11-08, 05:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Brothers & Sisters *Season Finale* - "Prior Commitments" - 5/11/08

"Prior Commitments"
Spoiler:
Kevin and Scotty make a commitment to be life partners; Saul deals with his identity in a public way; the family discovers William kept another painful secret from them.
Old 05-11-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard to believe two seasons of this wonderful show have already aired! I am excited for the season finale, but, I'm also sad, because it means a few months without this great show!
Old 05-11-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOFL! The BEST line of the night:

After Saul comes out to the family, Justin saying, "My God. This is like the gayest week of my life".

I can't stop laughing!
Old 05-11-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who the heck is Ryan?! Darn William! He was a man whore!

Why did they have to go there with Rebecca and Justin? I really want this relationship to stay as a family relationship. Now, they are kissing each other.

Great episode. I am so happy that Kevin and Scotty were married. It's too bad that Scotty's parents didn't go. Scotty's Mom is a terrible person, for not wanting to see her son happy.

I can't wait for next season!
Old 05-11-08, 10:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
This was the first episode in awhile that had the humor of earlier episodes but the last ten minutes were a disaster.

Ryan? ugh

Justin and Rebecca
Old 05-11-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
This was the first episode in awhile that had the humor of earlier episodes but the last ten minutes were a disaster.

Ryan? ugh

Justin and Rebecca
I wouldn't say that the whole last ten minutes were a disaster. The only part that truly was a disaster, to me, was the whole Rebecca and Justin kissing. I agree with you, barf! I mean, couldn't they NOT have gone there? Hopefully it will be short lived.
Old 05-12-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still think they should have had Rebecca be a Walker but have Justin find out he had a different father. THAT would have been awesome if Nora had also had a dalliance.
Old 05-12-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to agree with the "last 10 minutes were a disaster" comment.

I'm just glad the R didn't turn out to be "Robert".
Old 05-12-08, 07:41 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Lord, the Justin/Rebecca storyline is a mess. And who cares about that damn baby?!

Great episode though, minus the 10 last minutes.
Old 05-12-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with the disaster votes in the last ten minutes. Just too hokey for its own good this show is. Watchable but if it weren't for the good actors, this soap opera wouldn't even last on daytime television.

Kevin remembers the picture because it just so happens that he was thinking of a meeting with his father that hints at the exact same picture/scenario - even before Sara tells the family about it? . That was just too weak for its own good. Drama is good but this was just too forced.

Last edited by conscience; 05-12-08 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought tonights episode was a return to what made me actually fall for this show in the first place, even if there wasn't enough real hyjinx.

I thought the wedding stuff as well as Rebeca/Justin was actually rather cute and happy moments. But the rest of the episode seemed like they were trying to smoosh 2/3 episodes worth of stuff into a single episode. There wasn't enough build-up/payoff for a lot of the things going on.

I'm glad where going to return to a semblence of a mystery or something overlapping like the first season. Can't wait for season 3.

Has anyone else heard the rumors of the series getting a 28-episode season 3 to make up for the strike?
Old 05-12-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd crack up if Ryan's nickname was "Sky".

The Justin/Rebecca thing didn't need to be the final shot of the season. That's just going to be weird if it doesn't work out between them, and then Rebecca or Justin will feel really awkward when Rebecca comes by at Nora's behest.

Did anyone believe the casting of Jayne Brooks as Scotty's mom?
Old 05-12-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I wasn't bothered at all by the Justine/Rebecca thing. I thought it was rather sweet.

I have to agree that the Ryan storyline was probably the weakest storyline of the season.

Overall, for a short season, I thought season 2 was quite good. You can tell they needed more episodes to flesh out a few storylines, but hopefully season 3 will get more than the usual 22-24 episodes.
Old 05-12-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Did anyone believe the casting of Jayne Brooks as Scotty's mom?
While it is always nice to see Jayne Brook in anything, I hated that she had to play such a pill character, and she is way too young to be Scotty's mom.* More like his older sister.

*Just looked up Jayne Brook on IMDB. Wow, she is 48? Ok, technically she is 20 years older than him and theoretically old enough to be his mom, but she looks much younger than her 48 years.

Last edited by Jadzia; 05-12-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonderful episode with the Union of Kevin and Scotty. Some great moments and some sad onestoo, especially with Scotty's Parents but that's the way things are.
The scene with Scotty and Nora was touching but yes the plot revelation with Ryan was pretty horrendous. Don't they have enough characters to write for already?
Are the Producers trying to get the CW audience?
Old 05-13-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
The scene with Scotty and Nora was touching but yes the plot revelation with Ryan was pretty horrendous. Don't they have enough characters to write for already?
LOL! I was thinking the same thing. "Are we going to have to track down another bastard baby every other season?"

Enjoyed it. There certainly a lot to cover/recover from in terms of this truncated season. Every character has some storyline to pursue:

Kevin & Scotty living after tying the knot
Sarah & Tommy existing as co-presidents under Holly
Kitty & Robert proceeding with baby options
Saul moving on with his coming out process
Nora proceeding with her charitable "Ronald McDonald House"-esque endeavor
Rebecca & Justin - well I wont state the obvious since it makes people here sick apparently

I agree that this "Ryan" story is a unnecessary "tack on" for a season cliffhanger, but I'm willing to see where they go with it. Kinda odd that William would leave money for Holly and nothing for Ryan if he knew Ryan was his kid...
Old 05-14-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They could easily go back to Scotty's Parents as a potential story? Reconsiliation?

From TV guide.com

Question: OK, here is the thing for me with Brothers & Sisters. I have watched every minute of every episode since the pilot, and, to me, this whole Rebecca-Justin situation smacks of lazy writing. Now, I don't throw that accusation out lightly, and I don't consider myself an "alarmist TV viewer." I let stuff play out until the finale, and I did enjoy the great acting. But as a viewer, I became so invested in the first season and in these relationships. While the overarching theme for the first season was dealing with the betrayal of William Walker on different levels, the prime example of this betrayal — and what I felt was the centerpiece of the season — was Rebecca. This last half of the second season where they have totally undone it makes me feel cheated for emotionally investing to begin with. Compound that with the fact that this is only the second season. For them to do such an about-face in plot by the end of Season 2 really makes me wonder if they know where they are going with the stories. And don't get me started on this new illegitimate Walker. Maybe I am spoiled by shows like Lost or Battlestar Galactica that have their arcs laid out by the writers and (seem to) know where they are going. Is it unreasonable for me to have this reaction? I haven't felt cheated by a show like this in awhile. — Ed

Matt Roush: This is without doubt still the most contentious and polarizing topic in my mailbag (even counting the cancellation of Moonlight, at least for now). I think the objection here is more about clumsy plotting than writing, which tends to be pretty good on Brothers & Sisters even when I don't like where the story is going (as in this case). I have been assured this twist was long in the works, almost from the time the character of Rebecca was introduced, so maybe it's a blessing of sorts that they confronted it as early as the second season, so we can eventually get over it (if that's possible). And yes, the additional twist of yet another secret Walker sibling does take the show into the realm of the hokiest soap opera.

Last edited by riley_dude; 05-16-08 at 12:31 PM.