Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'They Filmed the War in Color: Victory in Europe and The Pacific War'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'They Filmed the War in Color: Victory in Europe and The Pacific War'

Old 05-11-08, 03:02 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of They Filmed the War in Color: Victory in Europe and The Pacific War at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33189 and...It may interest you to know that With The Marines At Tarawa was produced under the direction of actor Louis Hayward, who received a Bronze Star and Presidential Citation. The film won the Academy Award in its catogory. Derrick Wright wrote a pretty great book on this episode about ten years ago, Tarawa A Hell Of A Way To Die. I was Hayward's Personal Manager throughout the 1960's, from shortly after his appearance as King Arthur in Camelot opposite Kathryn Grayson up to his work on the television series, The Survivors. I enjoy reading your work and almost always like your take.

Best.

Barry Lane
Old 05-11-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry Lane
I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of They Filmed the War in Color: Victory in Europe and The Pacific War at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=33189 and...It may interest you to know that With The Marines At Tarawa was produced under the direction of actor Louis Hayward, who received a Bronze Star and Presidential Citation. The film won the Academy Award in its catogory. Derrick Wright wrote a pretty great book on this episode about ten years ago, Tarawa A Hell Of A Way To Die. I was Hayward's Personal Manager throughout the 1960's, from shortly after his appearance as King Arthur in Camelot opposite Kathryn Grayson up to his work on the television series, The Survivors. I enjoy reading your work and almost always like your take.

Best.

Barry Lane
Hi, Barry - thanks for writing, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I am aware of that title, but I've never seen it. Is it available on disc, or even VHS? I'd like to see it. Sounds like you might have some interesting stories about your work with Hayward -- ever think about putting them down?

And I'll take "almost always" liking my take on films any day!

Thanks again, Barry.