The Don Rosa Library!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Don Rosa Library!

I was fooling around on Amazon yesterday, when I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Don-Rosa-Libra...0453886&sr=8-1

I have to say, I am incredibly excited about this series of books. I was a skeptic, but ordered Life and Times of Scrooge and was simply blown away. I haven't read many comics that infused their story with so much care and whimsy, it was just awesome. While I don't expect all of Rosa's stuff to be on that level, I'm pretty sure that the stories will be at least fun and entertaining.

I wish these were coming out in softcover, but I think this is going to be a must buy for me.

And yes, I know I should try Carl Barks as well. I'll get to that stuff someday probably.
Old 05-12-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
In the January thread, I posted

Originally Posted by davidh777
Count me as another turned on to Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and the follow-up by this board. I think the largest Barks-only collections are the two Greatest DuckTales Stories trades.

Some of the Gladstone Giant albums like Flintheart Glomgold have a lot of content in them, but still not phone book-sized.

Last year I picked up a slim volume called "Uncle Scrooge Adventures Barks/Rosa Collection Vol. 1: Land of the Pygmy Indians/War of the Wendigo," which paired an original Barks story with Rosa's follow-up story. Other than the fact that it was only two stories, I thought it was a great concept, but I have never seen a vol. 2.
Glad to say they seem to be resuming this series, alternating Donald and Scrooge adventures. #4 is going to be The Mysterious Stone Ray, which I always liked as a kid.
Old 05-13-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never read any Donald stories, but I'm betting they're good. There is just something about these comics man...they just transport you to when you were 8 years old or something. And I say that never having read these comics as a kid (thought I did dig the Ducktales show). They have that sort of appeal.

The Europeans got it right in worshiping Barks and Rosa. It's surprising those guys aren't heralded so much over here considering how big Disney is.
Old 02-04-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Don Rosa Library!

Amazon is now listing this as a December 2009 release
Old 02-05-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't there supposed to be an oversized Cal Barks series too that got cancelled?

I had limited exposure to these Scrooge McDuck comics as a kid, but I remember loving them when I read them.
Old 02-15-23, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I didn't want to start a new thread but I'm sure a few here love Don Rosa's work. This hasn't hit mainstream attention yet but apparently Disney in their infinite wisdom are pulling some of his Duck stories for good over political correctness. Disney has indicated to publishers they won't allow them to be printed again, something like Song of the South. This came out on a Don Rosa Facebook group which Don himself participates.

The banned stories are found in The Complete Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Fans say the best way to get them is in this Fantagraphics deluxe hardcover. I can only imagine how much this book will go for once it's sold out.

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-15-23, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I would have scooped that up just on the FOMO, but that price sucks.
Old 02-15-23, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ugh. I love Life and Times, and unfortunately a lot of people won’t get to experience it now. I reread it every few years and have the new Fantagraphics HC volumes and the older paperback, plus digital.
Old 02-15-23, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

It is a great book (along with the companion), and now I'm wondering what the objectionable stories are.
Old 02-15-23, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.cbr.com/disney-bans-don-...cduck-stories/

​​​​​​Disney has reportedly banned two of Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck stories from future reprints and collections.According to a tweet from DuckTalks' Twitter account, Rosa received an email explaining two of his Scrooge McDuck stories -- "The Richest Duck in the World" and "The Dream of a Lifetime" -- won't be republished or part of any collections moving forward. DuckTalks, a podcast that discusses the latest developments stemming from Disney's Ducktales, later posted "The Richest Duck in the World" ban may actually be for "The Empire-Builder from Calisota," which is oftentimes referred to as "The Richest Duck in the World." CBR has reached out to Disney directly for comment on the situation.

“As part of its ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion, The Walt Disney Company is in the process of reviewing their library of stories," the message sent to Rosa reads. "As a result, some stories that do not align with their values will no longer be published. This applies to two of your classic stories, 'The Richest Duck in the World' and 'The Dream of a Lifetime'. These stories will not be part of any reprints or new collections.”

Rosa responded to the situation in Facebook's "The Official Don Rosa Group," captured in a screenshot posted to CLZ Comics' Facebook page. "I wonder what other Duck stories are now banned?" he wrote. "Maybe only mine? Maybe not? But obviously all 12 chapters of my Life and Times of Scrooge McDuckare now banned because they can't be published without the final chapter. I won't even comment on what this will mean to the collector market."

Published in 1994, "The Empire-Builder from Calisota" follows Scrooge as he ventures to Africa in an attempt to become the richest person in the world. While there, he encounters "Bombie the Zombie," a character who was cursed by a witch doctor named Foola Zoola. Bombie the Zombie proceeds to chase Scrooge around the world before Scrooge manages to trap him on an island for multiple decades. Scrooge then dreams about Bombie the Zombie in 2002's "The Dream of a Lifetime," a story that has been widely compared to Christopher Nolan's Inception as it sees the Beagle Boys invade Scrooge's dreams to steal his belongings.
Old 02-15-23, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I would have scooped that up just on the FOMO, but that price sucks.
Yeah, but it's a huge hardcover book (18 x 14 1/2 inches and 568 pages). That's not a terrible price for a beast like that (but I'm used to buying huge ass Artist's Edition books that can cost even more).

So what about all the Barks stories that feature racial stereotypes in the Ducks' adventures to Africa, Asia and South America?

Last edited by cultshock; 02-15-23 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-15-23, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Don Rosa Lib

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, but it's a huge hardcover book (18 x 14 1/2 inches and 568 pages). That's not a terrible price for a beast like that (but I'm used to buying huge ass Artist's Edition books that can cost even more).

So what about all the Barks stories that feature racial stereotypes in the Ducks' adventures to Africa, Asia and South America?
I read that Rosa (not surprisingly) based the zombie on a Barks character. My guess is that Barks will be reviewed as well but they started with Life and Times due to its relative popularity.
Old 02-15-23, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

You don't have to get the deluxe hardcover to get these strips before they go out of print forever. There's a cheaper option for $60 which has the same stories.
Old 02-16-23, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: The Don Rosa Lib

Originally Posted by davidh777
I read that Rosa (not surprisingly) based the zombie on a Barks character. My guess is that Barks will be reviewed as well but they started with Life and Times due to its relative popularity.
Yep, I remember reading a couple Barks stories with Bombie back in the day, I looked it up and it seems that Barks created the character in 1949. So they probably started with the Rosa stories and will work their way backwards through the Barks stories trying to erase history.
Old 02-16-23, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

At least they got Don Rosa's entire library reprinted. I hope this doesn't affect any of the remaining Barks books.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-02-23)
Old 02-17-23, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I saw Don Rosa at a convention last year. I went to his booth to purchase one of his prints that spoofs classic comic book covers. I had bought some from him before at conventions five to fifteen years ago. To say that he is a complete ass would be an understatement. I picked the print I wanted to buy; it was a spoof of an EC Comics horror cover. He said he would only sell it to me if I could explain what the print was about. So, I said it was an homage to the EC title with the characters from the cover being replaced with Uncle Scrooge protecting his money bin from his three nephews. He said that I was wrong and to pick another print. It was like he wanted me to present him with a ten page term paper critiquing the print before I had the right to purchase it. I was hesitating to pick another print for fear that he was going to pose the same question regardless of which print I decided to choose; so he says "Since you don't have any idea what you want, I'll just move along to the next person until you can make up your mind".

I find it a bit ironic that for years he's probably treated people at cons as if they were unworthy of purchasing or reading his work and now Disney is basically telling him that his work is no longer worthy of being read by the general public. Part of the reason Disney may not want to publish his stuff anymore is because it was likely he had an attitude and was difficult to negotiate with and Disney just decided he wasn't worth the trouble, especially when he disses Disney every chance he gets. Duck Tales is and will always be a much more popular property than the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck or any of his other stories.

Old 02-17-23, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru
I saw Don Rosa at a convention last year. I went to his booth to purchase one of his prints that spoofs classic comic book covers. I had bought some from him before at conventions five to fifteen years ago. To say that he is a complete ass would be an understatement. I picked the print I wanted to buy; it was a spoof of an EC Comics horror cover. He said he would only sell it to me if I could explain what the print was about. So, I said it was an homage to the EC title with the characters from the cover being replaced with Uncle Scrooge protecting his money bin from his three nephews. He said that I was wrong and to pick another print. It was like he wanted me to present him with a ten page term paper critiquing the print before I had the right to purchase it. I was hesitating to pick another print for fear that he was going to pose the same question regardless of which print I decided to choose; so he says "Since you don't have any idea what you want, I'll just move along to the next person until you can make up your mind".

I find it a bit ironic that for years he's probably treated people at cons as if they were unworthy of purchasing or reading his work and now Disney is basically telling him that his work is no longer worthy of being read by the general public. Part of the reason Disney may not want to publish his stuff anymore is because it was likely he had an attitude and was difficult to negotiate with and Disney just decided he wasn't worth the trouble, especially when he disses Disney every chance he gets. Duck Tales is and will always be a much more popular property than the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck or any of his other stories.
Did you ever figure out what he wanted you to say? I can't believe he did that to every single person lined up for his autograph, was he just grumpy about Duck stuff?
Old 02-17-23, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sucks that you had that experience. I bought a print from him (a spoof on the first Legion of Superheroes cover) at a con about 10 years ago and didn’t get any attitude. He was wearing a shirt that said “Don Rosa: I’m popular in Europe!”, and I know he’s always resented that his work isn’t better known and appreciated.
Old 02-17-23, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did you ever figure out what he wanted you to say? I can't believe he did that to every single person lined up for his autograph, was he just grumpy about Duck stuff?
No, before I left I asked him what was the theme that he felt I was missing in the print and all he said was "Well, if you don't know what the print is about, i don't know why you want to buy it". I would put it up on my wall for a while with my other comic book art prints, but I guess that wasn't good enough. It was very odd. He acted very passive aggressive during the whole encounter. He didn't act like that with the family in front of me, but that kid had some kind of mental handicap. I don't know if he was confusing me with someone else or something, but I haven't even been to his booth in five years, or maybe even more. He seems to get quite a few people at his booth that have learning disabilities or cognitive handicaps and meeting him would be the highlight of their year. I just hope he doesn't behave that way towards any of them and treats them with some dignity and respect. I don't care too much for myself because I can just go and by a different print from another artist that would appreciate someone being interested in their work, but his behavior was just extremely bizarre.
Old 02-20-23, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
No, before I left I asked him what was the theme that he felt I was missing in the print and all he said was "Well, if you don't know what the print is about, i don't know why you want to buy it". I would put it up on my wall for a while with my other comic book art prints, but I guess that wasn't good enough. It was very odd. He acted very passive aggressive during the whole encounter. He didn't act like that with the family in front of me, but that kid had some kind of mental handicap. I don't know if he was confusing me with someone else or something, but I haven't even been to his booth in five years, or maybe even more. He seems to get quite a few people at his booth that have learning disabilities or cognitive handicaps and meeting him would be the highlight of their year. I just hope he doesn't behave that way towards any of them and treats them with some dignity and respect. I don't care too much for myself because I can just go and by a different print from another artist that would appreciate someone being interested in their work, but his behavior was just extremely bizarre.
That’s really bizarre behavior by him. Only seen him being kinda of an ass to people who asked him to signed Disney Ducks stuff that he had nothing to do with like Ducktales POP figures. Otherwise, he’s been one the creators who most people will have nice things to say about due to his willingness to sign books for free, do a a free sketch and take the time to talk with his fans. Really odd behavior of him but maybe he was having a bad day or confused you with someone else
Old 02-20-23, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Don Rosa has updated fans with a new post where it appears that decisions to ban those stories aren’t final

https://www.facebook.com/groups/donr...ibextid=W9rl1R
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-02-23)
Old 02-21-23, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Spectre
That’s really bizarre behavior by him. Only seen him being kinda of an ass to people who asked him to signed Disney Ducks stuff that he had nothing to do with like Ducktales POP figures. Otherwise, he’s been one the creators who most people will have nice things to say about due to his willingness to sign books for free, do a a free sketch and take the time to talk with his fans. Really odd behavior of him but maybe he was having a bad day or confused you with someone else
I've been to his booth a number of times before, but this was the first time in about five to six years. I usually just pick up a spoof cover print. The last time I saw him years ago he was fairly friendly. We talked about his home garden, Italian versions of Disney comics, and European comic conventions. This time he was just passively aggressive the moment I got to the front of the line. It seemed like he was angry with me about something or confused me with someone else he was angry with for some reason. Not sure what was up, other than he behaved like an ass. But there's plenty more artists at the convention that would be happy to have someone interested in purchasing their prints, so I can easily skip his booth next time and purchase something from others instead. Now that his books may no longer be available, people can spend their money on other books that are just as good, or better, to be entertained. He's just not as important as he seems to think he is.
Old 02-21-23, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Because of this thread, I pulled the trigger on buying the deluxe edition of Life and Times (had been putting it off for a while). Amazon has since raised the price $100 since I ordered it on Feb 16th.

Can anyone post that update, it appears the Facebook page is private
Old 02-21-23, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought I saw an update that this Disney decision is not yet final.