Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Robyn - "Robyn" (2008)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Robyn - "Robyn" (2008)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robyn - "Robyn" (2008)

im so glad i tuned in to see robyn on letterman last week. some may remember her from the 90s hit "Show me love"... she is now set to release her (somewhat) new cd in the USA titled "robyn"...

here is the letterman performance that blew me away and made me a fan (i went out and bought the cd the next morning)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UiXnstxTG_Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UiXnstxTG_Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 05-08-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Did Letterman ever let go of her hand?
Old 05-09-08, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard a dance remix in the clubs of one cut from the album. I didn't care for it.

"Show me love" from way back is still a good song. Overplayed on the radio though.
Old 05-09-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Honestly, what the hell did I just watch?

"I push button"
"Bow da bangy dingy"

Huh?
Old 05-09-08, 03:45 PM

After hearing so much about it for what seems like forever, I picked it up at Best Buy last night with some rewards coupons. 'Who's That Girl' is friggin hot - moreso because of The Knife that Robyn, but still. 'With Every Heartbeat' is intriguing and quite pretty, but I have no idea how the hell it was a #1 single in the UK. The rest I really just cannot get into - too much bad girl posing over weak beats.

I just don't get it.
Old 05-09-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I pulled out her album from however long ago, when she became "popular", and found that I like quite a bit of it. I don't really have much interest in her new album, though.
Old 05-11-08, 12:21 AM

I just bought it and love it. The first intro track is pure crap but I liked the rest of the thing. I wouldn't judge the CD by her Letterman performance. It might just be the audio off of that clip but I wasn't impressed.

It's the fist full CD I've bought in a while. It's become so peicemeal since iTunes.
Old 05-11-08, 09:35 AM

It's too bad that Trentemoller's remix of "Konichiwa Bitches" wasn't included on the album (or the single, from what I can tell) because I think it's quite a bit better than the album version: remix
Old 05-11-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like the synth beat and percussion for the song she played on Letterman.

Not so sure about the African Anteater Dance she does at the end, that reminds me of Ronald Miller in Can't Buy Me Love.
Old 05-15-08, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brokenhanger
'With Every Heartbeat' is intriguing and quite pretty,
I like that song. I'd have never been curious about this recording if not for some good reviews, but I think it's a fairly weak album. There were times I wanted to wash her mouth out with soap and send her to her room.
Old 05-15-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the heads up on this! always a sucker for some swedish pop even if it sounds like a lady sovereign or MIA wanna-be.
Old 05-16-08, 10:55 AM

Why 2 drum sets? It looked like they were playing in unison, so what benefit is there to having 2? Even if they weren't playing in unison, shouldn't 1 really great drummer be able to accomplish what 2 mediocre drummers can?

The song was ok, but I'm not going to rush out and get the album.