Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Proper nutrition for losing fat and gaining muscle?

slateef
05-07-08, 11:07 PM
I've been on an exercice regimen for about a month. Weight training on M-W-F and cardio (treadmill) on T-Th. Seeing nice gains in muscle mass, but not much in the way of fat loss (around the waist).

I think I have about 10 lbs. of flab to lose from the gut, I'm ok everywhere else.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of optimizing nutrition to maximize muscle gain and at the same time lose fat?

Any links or articles would be appreciated. I'd like scientific data/analysis, rather than just "Here's what I do" kinda anecdotal stuff.

Thanks in advance...

benh911
05-08-08, 12:55 AM
I'm actually starting this at tomorrow, since I'll be done with school and be able to cook for myself. It's had a lot of success, and allows you to pretty much eat things you probably like..

Abs Diet (http://www.amazon.com/Abs-Diet-Six-Week-Flatten-Stomach/dp/1594862168/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210226007&sr=8-1)

Gunde
05-08-08, 01:38 AM
^ Yep, that's the way to go

Superman07
05-08-08, 07:06 AM
It's not just about the doing generic cardio. Are you doing any exercises to target your stomach region? Specifically, what are you doing to work your obliques? The more you work those muscles it will target the fat in that region.

Strafe
05-08-08, 07:41 AM
It's not just about the doing generic cardio. Are you doing any exercises to target your stomach region? Specifically, what are you doing to work your obliques? The more you work those muscles it will target the fat in that region.

I have heard that you cannot target fat in a specific region. It is affected universally.

FantasticVSDoom
05-08-08, 07:56 AM
Well, you want to look at your protein intake... It can be frustrating putting on muscle mass and trying to lose body fat. First off, if you are doing "lsd" type cardio, you are really spinning your wheels in the muscle gaining aspects. Make sure to get good clean sources of protein ( I am not a huge fan of shakes and what not because they are so processed, but sometimes you have no choice). Try to keep your insulin levels from spiking and dropping throughout the day. This means watching you carb intake by trying to get most of your carbs from fruits and veggies. Whole grains are ok, but too much can have the same effects as the bad stuff. Sugar of course is a big no-no so if you have a sweet tooth, make sure you limit that as much as you can.

Tracer Bullet
05-08-08, 08:58 AM
Well, you want to look at your protein intake... It can be frustrating putting on muscle mass and trying to lose body fat. First off, if you are doing "lsd" type cardio, you are really spinning your wheels in the muscle gaining aspects. Make sure to get good clean sources of protein ( I am not a huge fan of shakes and what not because they are so processed, but sometimes you have no choice). Try to keep your insulin levels from spiking and dropping throughout the day. This means watching you carb intake by trying to get most of your carbs from fruits and veggies. Whole grains are ok, but too much can have the same effects as the bad stuff. Sugar of course is a big no-no so if you have a sweet tooth, make sure you limit that as much as you can.

I dunno, the last time I took LSD I felt lighter.

DVD Josh
05-08-08, 09:32 AM
Try this for a month and see if you don't start really losing fat:

On M-W-F, lift as usual, THEN do cardio. Take off T-Th.

orangecrush
05-08-08, 09:35 AM
Do 138 sit-ups a day. No more, no less.

grrrah
05-08-08, 10:05 AM
not sure if my sarcasm detector is off or not, but this is 100% false.

To the OP, there have been dozens of threads on this topic, try a search. But yeah, Diet and burning calories is the best combo for burning fat. You are on the right track for muscle gains, but can probably improve your workout as you gain more experience. I won't repeat the details here, but in the other threads, there is are great tips from a variety of approaches.

dork
05-08-08, 10:18 AM
I think I have about 10 lbs. of flab to lose from the gut, I'm ok everywhere else.

You should seriously consider a LAP BAND.

SFranke
05-08-08, 11:22 AM
I've been on an exercice regimen for about a month. Weight training on M-W-F and cardio (treadmill) on T-Th. Seeing nice gains in muscle mass, but not much in the way of fat loss (around the waist).

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of optimizing nutrition to maximize muscle gain and at the same time lose fat?

Any links or articles would be appreciated. I'd like scientific data/analysis, rather than just "Here's what I do" kinda anecdotal stuff.

Thanks in advance...
You're having success gaining muscle. Now you want to switch gears now after only a month of your current routine? This is a recipe for failure.

Continue with your muscle gains. When you stop gaining, then consider losing weight.

al_bundy
05-08-08, 11:26 AM
i think it's nutrisystem that makes you eat good carbs

i don't buy their stuff, but i do what they preach. no white rice, no white bread, no processed any grains. i eat mostly long grain brown rice and quinoa with whatever meat i want.

and i try to stay away from anything that has artificial ingredients, HFCS or anything similar.

Shazam
05-08-08, 11:53 AM
I recommend liposuction. Tha's why we have doctors.

grrrah
05-08-08, 12:10 PM
You should seriously consider a LAP DANCE.

My favorite way to gain about 110 lbs around my gut!

rehmus
05-08-08, 12:41 PM
i came up with this really good diet. i basically go into the bathroom and throw up after every meal. i eat the most obnoxiously bad foods and am the best looking human being i've ever met. the only downer is that people at work are always asking me if im sick and my breath smells like dead raw fish.

other great diets: mono, not eating, and taking lots and lots of laxitives.

my nsfw diet that i'd hide under a spoiler tag if i had any idea how to do that:
chronic masturbation. think about it.

NIMH Rat
05-08-08, 12:46 PM
Your body is going to decide when it's good and ready to get rid of your mid-section fat.

It has been trained for YEARS to store fat in that specific area, and no six-week diet is going to get rid of it all. Ever. Face it: you will always have fat in your midsection. That is where your body wants to put fat, and that's where it will always go.

Only way to keep it to a minimum is to burn more calories than you consume, and to cut down on processed foods.

If you need a scientific set of numbers to follow, do it via a specific workout plan, that you can gradually increase in intensity as the weeks go on.

And most important, make it a part of your lifestyle. As important to you as, well, eating.

T-bone22
05-08-08, 12:52 PM

Ummmm.... wrong

twikoff
05-08-08, 01:00 PM
Your body is going to decide when it's good and ready to get rid of your mid-section fat.

and it will always be the last to go

Alien189
05-08-08, 01:25 PM
High Protein low fat diet. MORE Cardio!! Two days is not enough cardio. No junk food and no eating out. Make all your meals at home. Oh ya MORE cardio!

Make your own protein shakes... Don't use those the kind that come in a can.. Buy some whey or soy protein powder. Get the kind that has not been sweetened. Get some Odwalla Super Protein Drink. Mix in blender with the powder. Add some berries. Any kind. Whatever you like. Add a banana. Mix in blender until smooth! Simple healthy and you know what went in it.

slateef
05-08-08, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies, except for the smarty pants....you know who you are :)

Anyway, I posted this on another forum, and the responses I got from there have all pretty much said that it's difficult (if not impossible) to both gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. They said that I should concentrate on gaining muscle first, which would require extra protein intake and excess calories than my body is burning in order to build muscle (approx. 500 extra calories a day to build muscle).

Then, when I've gained muscle and reached my goal, THEN I should concentrate on fat loss, with cutting out 500 calories a day and doing lots of cardio.

Make sense to me...how about to you?

joeblow69
05-08-08, 02:09 PM
lots of cardio.
I don't know jack shit about losing fat, but the free advice a trainer friend of mine gave me was it's not just "lots of cardio", it's "lots of the correct kind of cardio".

Meaning, 40-50 minutes of fast walking, NOT running. He said for me, my target is to get my heart rate around 135, and do that multiple times a week.

FantasticVSDoom
05-08-08, 03:12 PM
Its frustrating like I said, but not nearly as impossible as it seems (or as others make it out to be) to build muscle and burn fat... And the build muscle first, then lean out method is great for body builders, but very difficult for people who dont have the discipline or knowledge on how to do it properly. Also, telling you to do lots of cardio isnt the best advice because you could go out and do a ton of running, and guess what, you will lose fat, but all that muscle you built will go bye bye as well. Lift heavy weights, keep your sets and reps low, but really make sure these are heavy weights. Do compound movements. Squats, deadlifts, presses, power cleans (if you cant do these then do rows), pull-ups, dips (weight the pull-ups and dips when you can do these fairly easy) 3 days a week (not all in one day but vary them up). 2 days a week do intense cardio (think intervals). Eat clean protein sources, dont be afraid of good fats (just dont eat a shit load of it) and clean carb sources, mainly from fruit and veggies. Get rest. Again, make sure to get your rest. If you are lifting heavy weights, your CNS is going to get fried really quick without rest. Losing fat and gaining muscle is more than calories in/calories out. If you are just interested in losing weight, thats an easy enough method. For what you want, it takes a little more "effort".

Superman07
05-08-08, 05:27 PM
I stand corrected. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.

I had a conversation at the office based on the thread. The response I received was to focus on muscle building since that will raise your metabolism for a longer period of time rather than cardio - not that you shouldn't do cardio as well.

Sure enough, Abs Diet was recommended as well.

The Bus
05-08-08, 06:08 PM

False. There is no such thing as spot reduction where fat is concerned.

However, doing exercises where the abs come into play (not just situps) will make your six-pack more noticeable. I'd also love to lose some of the body fat I have without losing any muscle.

grrrah
05-08-08, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies, except for the smarty pants....you know who you are :)

Anyway, I posted this on another forum, and the responses I got from there have all pretty much said that it's difficult (if not impossible) to both gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. They said that I should concentrate on gaining muscle first, which would require extra protein intake and excess calories than my body is burning in order to build muscle (approx. 500 extra calories a day to build muscle).

Then, when I've gained muscle and reached my goal, THEN I should concentrate on fat loss, with cutting out 500 calories a day and doing lots of cardio.

Make sense to me...how about to you?
not entirely true.. thats a common method for body builders. Were you on a body building site?

It is possible to burn fat and build muscle at the same time, and for most people trying to build a nice toned physique is the way to go. Sure you aren't gonna have bulging biceps and pecs, but thats for the competetive body builders. When I was first learning more, that was a pretty common suggestion among the heavy lifters.

95% of people DO NOT need to supplement protein. You can get plenty enough by focusing your meals on higher protein meats, etc. Spent/wasted many years and $$ going through protein shakes.

I posted before and after pics in the Feb biggest loser for my results of 2 months of very had work (weights, cardio and diet). Lost about 20lbs of fat, and put on some muscle in the 2 months. Just saying its possible. Oh, and did it without any protein shakes.

FantasticVSDoom
05-08-08, 07:47 PM
Im just coming off trying to do the bulk up-lean out routine and its something I wont ever do again. Im not or never want to be a body builder, but I thought I would try it just to "black box" it. I got up to 250 lbs lifting and eating a ton. I felt like absolute shit. Sure my lifts were through the roof, but everything else pretty much sucked. Now Im in "leaning out mode" and down to 235 (need to get to about 200-210). I've dropped 15 lbs of fat in around a month (Im lucky that I tend to drop fat pretty quickly) and should hit my goal by the end of June. So again, you can do that method, I just don't recommend it. Stick to what your doing tweaking here and there with the advice given, and you will be doing fine.