Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

what happens to film prints?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-07-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since there are over a thousand made for each movie, what happens to them? Are they recycled, or stored away? You would think there would be a market for collectors, with people able to buy full 35 mm prints of their favorites like Godfather, Forrest Gump, even modern ones like Lord of the Rings. I know you can rent them for showings, they send out catalogues you pick from, even that is fairly expensive and the selection isn't enorous... I imagine buying a full 35 mm movie would cost thousands... but are they even available? I am talking mainstream movies as opposed to classic cartoons / obscure stuff you might find on ebay.
Old 05-07-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a good question. I've always wondered that. They are expensive though. 35mm trailers alone go for upwards of $50, so I can only imagine what a full film would cost.
Old 05-07-08, 05:22 PM

Used film prints are recycled.
Old 05-07-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Most go back to the studios to be destroyed. Some are kept for archiving. There is one forum on the internet that specifically deals with people buying and selling film prints they have obtained. The more popular films are not cheap or easy to obtain! I remember Alien going for like $2500.

Here is the link 35mmfilmforum

Last edited by DthRdrX; 05-07-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Most go back to the studios to be destroyed. Some are kept for archiving. There is one forum on the internet that specifically deals with people buying and selling film prints they have obtained. The more popular films are not cheap or easy to obtain! I remember Alien going for like $2500.

Here is the link 35mmfilmforum
Just a word of warning, these 35mm film prints are almost always stolen/ reported lost/etc. Studios do not allow prints to be purchased by collectors.
Old 05-07-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott Varney
Just a word of warning, these 35mm film prints are almost always stolen/ reported lost/etc. Studios do not allow prints to be purchased by collectors.
I'm sure most are considered stolen as they came from smaller movie theaters. Many of the people on that forum are very rich and have alternate methods of getting prints.
Old 05-08-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.ironmountain.com
Old 05-08-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the first 4 reels of DC Cab .. not sure what I'm going to do with them. One problem is that older films breakdown quickly, and the ammonia smell is horrid.
Old 05-09-08, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy