Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New Pioneer Sets

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
New Pioneer Sets

Figured this would get more love in here than the HT section. Plus they are all 1080p. Apparently the black levels are 5x improved over the previous Kuro line.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...09&newsLang=en

Elite KURO HDTVs:
PRO-111FD 50-inch Class
(49.85-inch Diagonal)
1080p June $5,000

PRO-151FD 60-inch Class
(59.58-inch Diagonal)
1080p June $6,500

Elite Signature Series Monitor:
PRO-101FD 50-inch Class
(49.85-inch Diagonal)
1080p October TBA

PRO-141FD 60-inch Class
(59.58-inch Diagonal)
1080p August TBA

Last edited by Superman07; 05-07-08 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-07-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Impressive to be sure.

Personally for that money I would upgrade my projector but I realize that not everyone can do that.
Old 05-07-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're in luck. They also announced a $9k Kuro projector!
Old 05-07-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
You're in luck. They also announced a $9k Kuro projector!
Now that gets my interest.

Another side benefit of having waited out the stupid format was buying time before I have to upgrade everything.

I will eventually need to upgrade both my receiver and projector to take full advantage of blu-ray. The question now becomes do I bother or wait for blu-ray's replacement. And before anyone jumps on me may I remind everyone that dvd has only been around for about 13 years.
Old 05-07-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I will eventually need to upgrade both my receiver and projector to take full advantage of blu-ray. The question now becomes do I bother or wait for blu-ray's replacement. And before anyone jumps on me may I remind everyone that dvd has only been around for about 13 years.
No jumping here. Even though HD-DVD may have lost, I'm not convinced that Blu-ray will "win". With some new titles and old HD-DVD tiles being ported over I'm tempted to move. However, I'm not convinced that the current slate of VOD isn't at the same level of quality (e.g. Apple TV).

As for your projector.

Designed for dedicated home cinema rooms, the Elite KURO projector incorporates LCoS 1080p technology which produces one of the highest native contrast ratios and superlative picture performance. These attributes include deep blacks, rich colors and the unmistakable look of film. Pioneer’s first consumer projector introduction, the Elite KURO Projector features a wide lens shift capacity, dual HDMI 1.3 support, and a wide range of other precise adjustments to produce the finest picture possible.

Pioneer’s Elite KURO projector will begin shipping in June 2008 for a suggested price of $9,000 and will be available via Pioneer’s Elite dealer channel.
Old 05-07-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the additional info. To get me to spend that kind of money would require alot more content both on disc and over satellite.

By the time I built my theater, dvd was already 8 years old and I had a good idea of what I would be getting into in terms of performance. With a new format and all the bickering, blathering, mis-information etc., I am more than content to wait. I am getting alot of mileage out of my system and my Oppo upconverting player.

When the industry wants to get its act together, complete the standards and have both hardware and titles on the shelves, then I will pay more attention.

For now, I have a hard time getting revved up over what is basically a niche format.
Old 05-07-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I suppose DVD is the only common benchmark possible, but I'm having a hard time comparing the following 3 (the first of which I never plan on buying for the "feature"):

1) Upconverting
2) High End DVD Players ($300 Denons, etc.)
3) Blu-ray
Old 05-07-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Denon 2900 is a workhorse and still gives my Oppo a run for the money.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 05-07-08 at 01:02 PM.