Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Santogold - Santogold

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Santogold - Santogold

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santogold - Santogold

Yeah! This is the ticket. Tegan & Sara meet MIA with a dose of No Doubt. That doesn't entirely explain it, but this lass has a good thing going with a refreshing sense of anything is possible. A little more on the rock side of things than hip hop. This will most likely be my top summer player.

From Wiki... some collaborators:

Working with fellow Stiffed member John Hill as co-producer, she recorded her debut album, Santogold, which was originally slated for release on Downtown Records in January 2008,[5] but was pushed back to April 2008.[7][8] The album features appearances or production work from Chuck Treece of Bad Brains, Cliffored "Moonie" Pusey of Steel Pulse, Diplo, Freq Nasty, M.I.A, Naeem Juwan of Spank Rock, Radioclit, Sinden, Switch, Trouble Andrew, and XXXchange.[9] The album's first singles, "Creator" and "L.E.S. Artistes", were both well received. Rolling Stone, Spin, and BBC all named Santogold an artist to watch in 2008.[1][8][10] "Creator", along with "Lights Out",[11] has appeared in commercials for Bud Light Lime in the United States,[12][13] and VO5 hair products in the United Kingdom. Similarly, "You'll Find A Way" was featured in the EA Sports video game, FIFA 08, with "L.E.S. Artistes" featured in some versions of its sister game NHL 08. Santi has also toured with M.I.A. and Björk and worked with Lily Allen[13] and Ashlee Simpson.[14]
Old 05-05-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I keep hearing good things. Might blind buy this this week at Best Buy for $7.99.
Old 05-05-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've listened to it a couple of times and, while there are a few catchy moments, I don't really think it's a very good album overall.
Old 05-06-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I've listened to it a couple of times and, while there are a few catchy moments, I don't really think it's a very good album overall.
That's cool. Diff tastes. I'm pretty much old school and have to be smacked up by the side of the head with something that's very catchy for me to take notice. This album seems to have roots in the early 80's (bit of new wave, bit of Two Tone ska) which probably grabbed my attention. I've given the new B-52's album a few spins and I'd take this one any day over that for fun music. This is coming from a big fan of that band.
Old 05-12-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ooh...just checked this one out. I like it. And that cover is beyond cool.

= J
Old 05-12-08, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
agreed.
Old 05-12-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

diggin' the first half of this album, not so much the second. (a couple of exceptions on the second half, though.)