Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Man 2 - April 2010 (Favreau is directing)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Iron Man 2 - April 2010 (Favreau is directing)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what's going to happen in the IRON MAN sequel?

I like that the IRON MAN movie is sort of reality-based and not too fantastical, at the same realism level as Batman. What worries me is that Iron Man's most famous villain is the Mandarin, who is as fantastical as it gets. So when Mandarin appears in the sequel, how are they going to interpret this villain? Is he going to be the typical Asian magician/sorcerer, as has been the typical villain in all the sword & sorcery movies. Think of the Ghengis Khan villain from The Shadow. That's how I see The Mandarin - sort of corny and a type of villain that's been overused in cinema. But he's got to be used since he is Iron Man's most famous villain. Maybe the filmmakers will work the magic aspect of The Mandarin, after all, magicians are pretty amazing geniuses that can fool people's eyes. But if they are going to use the "magic 10 rings" that give him power, then the movie is going to turn all fantastical, which may not even be a problem if Iron Man is eventually going to team up with other superheroes who do have fantastical powers (Thor, Hulk).

The good thing about Iron Monger, who was a great villain, is that they can continue using villains taking advantage of Stark's designs, as in the comic. In the sequel, they can use Iron Man's other villains, which don't really need focus, as they do on The Mandarin, such as Crimson Dynamo (Russian villain) and The Beetle (an actual plot in the Iron Man cartoon - villains who steal Stark's armor technology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor_Wars). Just like Iron Monger, someone like Crimson Dynamo can just be one of Mandarin's goons.

This is how I see the chain of command of villainy in the sequel:
1. The Mandarin
2. Fin Fang Foom (Mandarin's sidekick)
3. Crimson Dynamo
4. terrorists

Since Iron Man is sort of like a James Bond superhero that actually deals with world problems, the sequel can start off with him fighting in Russia versus Russian rebels/terrorists, then faces and defeats Crimson Dynamo, Iron Man is then exposed to The Mandarin who turns out to be the baddie running the show even in the first movie, goes back to USA, recruits Rhodes as War Machine, or even having SHIELD along with with Nick Fury or Guardsman, join in the fight against The Mandarin and Fin Fang Foom in Asia. End of movie.

So I think that the sequel can easily have War Machine, Shield, The Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom, and Crimson Dynamo without the film being packed with too much going on. I don't even think a third film would be necessary.
Old 05-03-08, 11:00 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Its been reported that the cast signed a three-movie deal, so we might get 3... unless they use the potential "The Avengers" movie as one of them.

I really think that they would use The Mandarin next film (the bad guys were referred to as "The Warriors of the 10 Rings" (which just screams for The Mandarin).

I would also welcome War Machine and a cameo from
Spoiler:
... Nick Fury.
Old 05-03-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It better have War Machine.
Old 05-03-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Nick Fury DID have a cameo in this film, and that Samuel L. Jackson filmed it? (Haven't seen the movie yet, but I KNOW I read that.)
Old 05-03-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see Fin Fang Foom, one of the best names for a villian.
Old 05-03-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I kind of hope they DON'T go the whole "Demon in the Bottle" Tony Stark alcoholism plotline in Part II, while it's a great story one of the thing I love about the first movie is that's a bit lighthearted compared to the super-dark heroes we've had lately, that Tony Stark actually loves being Iron Man. Having him get drunk and give it up in the second part would be a bummer I think and lose a lot of the movie's charm.

Also, hearing people say "the second one is going to be a lot darker" is becoming one of the biggest cliche in comic book movies anyway.
Old 05-03-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you guys watch AFTER the credits of Iron Man? If so, you would have seen the cameo by
Spoiler:
Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, confronting Tony Stark in his home at night.
Old 05-03-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It better have the line "I AM IRON MAN" in it and have more Iron Man action.
Old 05-03-08, 04:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Did you guys watch AFTER the credits of Iron Man? If so, you would have seen the cameo by
Spoiler:
Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, confronting Tony Stark in his home at night.
and talking to him about
Spoiler:
"The Avengers Initiative".
Old 05-03-08, 05:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I have never read the comics, so forgive this ignorant question... does Iron Man ever fight War Machine in the comics?
Old 05-03-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
and talking to him about
Spoiler:
"The Avengers Initiative".
Yeah, that got my blood pumping after the credits finished.
Spoiler:
If it doesn't happen though, kind of a wasted cameo, no?
Old 05-03-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sucks I didn't wait after the credits. But if it doesn't happen the majority of us didn't see it anyway.
Old 05-03-08, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
Yeah, that got my blood pumping after the credits finished.
Spoiler:
If it doesn't happen though, kind of a wasted cameo, no?
i think that is why it was tacked on, the majority didn't see it and wouldn't go anywhere to find out about it, so if it doesn't happen there wouldn't be too much boo hoo, i know i wouldn't boo hoo. but, it was cool for those of us that saw it.
Old 05-03-08, 10:03 PM
Banned

An AVENGERS movie sounds good.
But IRON MAN is going to have a bit part in this year's HULK movie.
Old 05-03-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd hope they don't dump in all that stuff listed by the OP. Seems like too much to throw into the film. Personally, I'd like to see it concentrate on Mandarin, with some more developments with Stark, maybe allude to the alcoholism, and get War Machine in there.
Old 05-03-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
What's the soonest you think a sequel would be ready to hit theatres? My guess would be 2010 or 2011 at the earliest.
Old 05-03-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
2011 is set up for the Avengers movie. But there's going to be a sequel for Iron Man before that.

Between now and then you need a Thor, Cap and Ant-man film.

As for sequels, we'll see Tony spiral out of control in his drinking problem more than likely.
Old 05-03-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Reading Wikipedia, it looked like the goal was 2010.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tony hit by alcoholism forcing Rhodes to wear the Iron Man suit.
Old 05-04-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure what is going to happen for the next Iron Man movie but...

Spoiler:
He makes a cameo along with Nick Fury in the next Hulk movie, they are setting up for a Avenger Franchise obviously
Old 05-04-08, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I kind of hope they DON'T go the whole "Demon in the Bottle" Tony Stark alcoholism plotline in Part II, while it's a great story one of the thing I love about the first movie is that's a bit lighthearted compared to the super-dark heroes we've had lately, that Tony Stark actually loves being Iron Man. Having him get drunk and give it up in the second part would be a bummer I think and lose a lot of the movie's charm.

Also, hearing people say "the second one is going to be a lot darker" is becoming one of the biggest cliche in comic book movies anyway.
Here's part of an interview with RDJ

If there's another story, what do you do with this character? This is an origin story that sets the stage for sequels.

Robert Downey Jr: If you ask me, the next one is about what do you do with the rest of your life now that you're completely changed. You have created this thing that has the power to take life. Essentially you have been made into a god. A human being, metaphorically, who's been made into a God, is not going to turn out so well. I think he should do something, release the demon out of the bottle. I think the drinking will be a way to confront his age, his doubts, to confront the fact that Pepper maybe gets a boyfriend.
Happy, maybe? Is that why Favreau cast himself in the role? He also mentions how he and Jon consulted with Shane Black. Anyways, I could definitely see them doing the "Demon" story and having Rhodey come in to "battle" him or something. But, yeah, the second/darker cliche is almost as annoying as "jump the shark"...
Old 05-04-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like Thor but the nature of his powers seem harder to rationalize that most of the other Avengers. Also, I don't want to see a movie filled with back stories more than quick clips or one liners.
Old 05-04-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
The problem with Iron Man is that he has such a poor rogues gallery. He doesn't have and Magneto, or a Green Goblin or a Joker. I mean Fin Fang Foom? Seriously? I don't want to see them make the next one dark and make Tony and alcoholic but IM vs War Machine would probably be the best thing for the movie but that would be a little to similar to Iron Monger. IF they do Mandarin similar to the way Nolan did Raz Al Gul then I could see that working.
Old 05-04-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mandarin is an obvious choice, but I'd really like to see an Armor Wars type scenario. You could set up cameos from so many of the armored bad guys with that (like Crimson Dynamo, Titanium Man, or Controller). Of course, fighting a bunch of big armored guys would be a lot like the finale to this first movie, so my second choice would be Justin Hammer, with his trio of Blacklash, Blizzard, and Beetle.

Then you've also got guys like Living Laser, Ghost, or Spymaster. The Ghost would be really aweome. Lots of good material to choose from. Hell, since they've introduced SHIELD in this one, they could do AIM in part two, and have MODOK show up.

Old 05-04-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Just go back to issues 110-150 of The Invincible Iron Man and look for a good villain. There were plenty of great stories during that run, there's got to be someone.... (My comics are boxed up, so I don't have quick access to them right now to look.)
Old 05-05-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although an Avengers villian, maybe Kang the Conqueror could be the villian in a more terrorist way and set him up to be the big bad in the supposed Avengers movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.