Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Secret Music of the Movies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-30-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread is for those of you, like myself, that have a passion for both films and music. It is also self-serving as I’m writing a book on the subject. So if that bothers you, please read no further.

The subject of my book is: the music that inspired filmmakers and the films that inspired musicians. Inspired is putting it somewhat mildly as I will be showing how the shooting script to a film is inspired by music. Virtually a who’s who of directors create their films this way.

I’ll also be presenting many songs and albums that were written to scenes in films. Some of the most popular musicians in history (and therefore some of the top songs) wrote their music so that the lyrics match the action in film scenes.

I’ve created some videos to help illustrate this. For the doubting Thomases among us (and I would be squarely in that group), I’d suggest starting with the Hitchcock post. I also have some Bond film examples, a Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest example and I just posted some examples from the film, The Matrix.

Armed with this info, you should be able to find syncs to your favorite films. It’s a lot of fun as well as being part of our popular culture.

My Blog:

My Blog with Video Examples
Old 04-30-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ctyankee
Some of the most popular musicians in history (and therefore some of the top songs) wrote their music so that the lyrics match the action in film scenes.
Do you have verifiable sources for that information?
Old 04-30-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Heart Goes On was written for Titanic. Anything other than the artist being commissioned by a studio to write a song for a movie is like trying to read minds. I think you're onto something but it's a longshot to say the least.
Old 04-30-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I can pair No Strings Attached to L'Avventura and probably find things that synch.

It's a cool idea, but don't try reading too much into it.