Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : anyone ever buy a side of beef?

chino77
04-29-08, 06:09 AM
i always hear its cheaper to buy a side or 1/2 or 1/4. im looking online and i dont see any places that have cheap prices. i guess if you eat alot of t-bones and fillets. than maybe its a good deal. has anyone here ever done it? know of a good place that ships to chicago? or is close to chicago?

mostly l eat ground beef, rib eyes and roasts so if their are good places online to buy that in bulk for cheap it would be cool too.

jonw9
04-29-08, 07:05 AM
We have before, as a family when I was younger. Our family and our Uncles would split a whole cow. It was more of a direct thing, either from the farmer or butcher, probably the latter.

Ordering online and having it shipped may defeat the purpose of the bargain.

FiveO
04-29-08, 07:48 AM
Just bought a 1/4 2 weeks ago. I have a chest freezer in the garage that stores it.

It usually lasts me about 6-8 months and I buy it from a co-worker who farms part time. I know the quality of the beef which is key and why I do it this way. It costs me like $400 for 75 pounds of ground beef and a bunch of steaks, stew meat and roasts....but its worth it if you ask me.

And I apologize...don't know any areas around Chicago to purchase a whole or part.

monkey42
04-29-08, 07:57 AM
I'm buying a 1/4 cow in a few weeks here. My co-worker just emailed me a pic of the one I'll be getting.

Krayzie
04-30-08, 11:01 AM
about the size of an alternator?

tasha99
04-30-08, 11:11 AM
I bought 1/4 when I lived in Hawaii years ago because food was so expensive there. It was a pretty good deal--I got the beef and a whole bunch of free add ons, so our freezer was packed with all kinds of meat that lasted for many, many months. We had to go to the butcher shop though and they loaded our car up. Shipping a bunch of frozen beef just seems like it would be a waste of money.

kvrdave
04-30-08, 11:33 AM
We buy 1/2 every year. I love steak. Just had some with some morel mushrooms my boys found on our property. :drool:

What price are you seeing? I generally pay around $1.75-$2 a pound cut and wrapped, but that includes T-bones, etc.

Tracer Bullet
04-30-08, 11:34 AM
Doesn't anyone else find it hilarious that it's difficult to buy a side of beef in Chicago?

chino77
04-30-08, 12:11 PM
i never said it was difficult. i was just looking online and all i saw were prices of around 4 bucks a pound.

Sean O'Hara
04-30-08, 01:45 PM
Doesn't anyone else find it hilarious that it's difficult to buy a side of beef in Chicago?

One does not ask too many questions at Chicago slaughter houses if one knows what's good for him. Capice?

mndtrp
05-01-08, 09:28 PM
I used to buy 1/4 cow each year, with this year being the first time I've bought 1/2. The best part of it is knowing where the beef came from, and how it was raised. The next best part, is getting the cuts exactly how you want them.

I can't recall how much the 1/2 cost, but I think it was around $800, maybe a bit more. Finding a local butcher is relatively easy, especially if you ask around. Try a couple of their steaks before purchasing an entire 1/2.

domino harvey
05-01-08, 10:08 PM
Sometimes I don't finish my burger at the restaurant and I put it in a little Styrofoam box and that goes in my fridge.