Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wim Wenders Until the End of the World

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that there are several versions of this film, none of which are available of R1 DVD. There is a 3 hour cut of the film that was released in most European countries, but there is also a longer edition that was edited into a trilogy and released in Italy and and I think Germany as well. Has anyone seen this film, or does anyone know anything about the DVDs?
Old 04-28-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The German and Italian sets are identical (only the extras on the Italian set are added to an extra 4th disc). The German subs on the main feature are not forced. The German set currently has a great price tag here (the site has an English-interface):

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail...ie&rsk=hitlist

English interface:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail...ie/rsk/hitlist

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-29-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I would also add that neither disc has English subtitles for the French language portions of the film.

The 3-disc set is available at Xpolited:

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/un...rs-p-7436.html

Last edited by Josh Z; 04-29-08 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-29-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's funny that this thread has popped up, because I was just thinking about this film.

That's a great price at JPC. However, with shipping to the US factored in, the cost is only a few dollars cheaper than ordering from Xploited. And the JPC site says the item will ship in 1-2 weeks if the distributor has the iem in stock.

I've never ordered from Xploited before, but there was another DVD on their site that I wanted to give as a birthday gift to a friend. I went ahead and placed my order this afternoon and already received a shipping notification!
Old 04-30-08, 02:42 PM

That is good price for the 3-disc set. I bought it years ago from Xpolited.

The only issue is, I belive there is PAL speed-up issue. I can tell right from begining of the movie, Sam Neill's voice (the voice over) sounds high-pitch.
Old 04-30-08, 02:58 PM

I got the German set from XPloited, the French portion is confusing at the time but shortly afterwards you figure out what was happening. The movie's not great but at least it's finally available in the length Wenders intended for those who might enjoy it.
And 4% speed-up isn't enough difference to be distracting, I don't care what people claim.
Old 05-03-08, 10:12 PM
Cool New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I am planning on ordering this shortly, it seems like it will ultimately be about $40-45 no matter where I get it. For a 3 disc set, I suppose its not bad, I just hope I like it. I do like Wim Wenders other films, and I love sci fi, so it seems like a safe bet.

So it sounds like the film is not subtitled? How much of the film is in French with no subs? I don't know anything about French (although the more I look around for international DVDs, the more I wish I spoke it, France seems to have a lot, just with no English subs) though if it's a small part I might know someone who could translate it for me.
Old 05-04-08, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Abserd360
So it sounds like the film is not subtitled? How much of the film is in French with no subs? I don't know anything about French (although the more I look around for international DVDs, the more I wish I spoke it, France seems to have a lot, just with no English subs) though if it's a small part I might know someone who could translate it for me.
There's an extended sequence in French, about 15-20 minutes (of a, remember, 5 hour film) and then there's a brief Japanese sequence that contains (presumably?) non-vital dialog for a minute or two. If memory serves, the French scene is fairly beguiling while you're watching it, but it begins to make sense near the end of the sequence and also later because characters refer in English to what was being portrayed. I could "spoiler text" what is happening if you're really worried about understanding it the first time around.