Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need your opinions on these older XB360 titles

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need your opinions on these older XB360 titles

Picked these up at a Toys R Us clearance sale for $50 total. All for XB360.

Perfect Dark Zero CE
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Stranglehold
Dead Rising

Could have also gotten Prey and F.E.A.R.

I didn't have a chance to play the demos before the sale ended so I bought blindly with the intention of playing the demos later. Well, I've played the demos and now think I want to either take back some or exchange for the other two I didn't get.

I need your help deciding on what I may not know or should know about these games. Mainly, which ones have the best single player experience, how long to complete, replayability, attainable achievements, etc. Note, I don't play much multiplayer especially in an FPS. Also, I think the MP for these older games may be non-existant? I also like to get as many SP achievements as possible so keep that in mind too.

Dead Rising - Keeper
The demo was really fun. Simple concept but I like how you can pretty much use anything in the environment to bash the sh*t out of zombies.

Perfect Dark Zero - Undecided
Not sure how I feel about the demo. I know this was a launch title so it is showing some of its age now when compared to newer titles. However, seemed like there is some substance to it. I need help on this one folks. Also, the majority of achievements are MP.

Stranglehold - Undecided
Liked the demo. Again, a simple concept. Just shoot everything that moves. Has a Max Payne feel to it. Seems like it has a good SP experience.

F.E.A.R. - Undecided
I liked the demo. Probably will exchange Far Cry for this one. Very creepy, great atmosphere, smart AI. Worried about length of SP.

Prey - Undecided
Demo was ok. Graphics were decent but seemed the same, e.g. the organic metal vibe. Story so far seemed very interesting. I liked the Native American feel to it. However, I'm not sure how long the SP campaign is.

Far Cry Instincts - Return
Didn't care for this one at all. The graphics seem dated and the controls sluggish. I got it because I thought it had a long, single player campaign and you could drive vehicles. Am I missing anything? How is the SP?

Again, would appreciate your comments/opinions above.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Rising is one of the best 360 games I've played. Endless replay value and fun to engage the story. I can pick that up anytime and have a blast, probably my most played non-sports title.

Stranglehold - Really fun, but short, as I said in the Amazon thread. I've played through 3 times just because I think it's fun, but if you don't see yourself playing through again it's probably a good rental.

Far Cry - Completely agree with you, I couldn't even get through the second level. Just boring and frustrating, graphics were hit or miss.

Perfect Dark Zero - I really liked this one, but I'm in the minority. If you're not comparing it to the old PD, you'll be in better shape. It's fun but forgettable.

Prey - I HATED this game. It's probably the most frustrating and boring game I've completed on 360. I know a lot of people like this, but the stupid wall walking and hooooorrible story made me want to throw my 360 out the window.

I really liked F.E.A.R. a lot. Somewhat short, but still a good 7+ hours or so if you're not running through it. Second only to Condemned for creepy atmosphere, I'd keep it.

My rankings of your games: 1. Dead Rising. 2. P.R.E.Y. 3. Stranglehold. 4. Perfect Dark Zero. 5. Far Cry Instincts. 6. Prey.
Old 04-28-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a nice haul for $50
Old 04-28-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You should've just gotten Dead Rising.
Old 04-28-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by BravesMG

Prey - I HATED this game. It's probably the most frustrating and boring game I've completed on 360. I know a lot of people like this, but the stupid wall walking and hooooorrible story made me want to throw my 360 out the window.

My rankings of your games: 1. Dead Rising. 2. P.R.E.Y. 3. Stranglehold. 4. Perfect Dark Zero. 5. Far Cry Instincts. 6. Prey.

Dead Rising is definitely the creme of the crop of what you got. I'll just address the game lengths since you asked:

Dead Rising is about a 6 hour game. Sounds short, but unless you are very determined you won't beat it on your first try. There are also 6 different endings. If you like achievements this game has them in spades. There are multiple achievements that require their own play-through to get. If you are going for all of them you are looking at, at least 6 times through up to a dozen.

Stranglehold: Great game but a bit redundant. Definitely not worth full price but a steal on clearance. It's only about an 8-10 hour game. The best level though is the first which is what the demo is.

Prey: Again, 8-10 hours. Not overly difficult, especially with the Deathwalk (inability to die). Start on the hardest difficulty. I really enjoyed this one. Although like Stranglehold it is a perfect clearance game and not worth SRP. Avoid the multiplayer.

Perfect Dark Zero: I played through about half and was bored to tears. I definitely got burned on that one at launch. It got average reviews and I think those were being generous.

F.E.A.R.: I own it but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. The vibe I continually get though is that the AI is great but the level design brings the whole game down. Office after warehouse after office levels. ugh.
Old 04-28-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Holy cow, that should have been F.E.A.R. at number two. Prey would have been as low as the list went, I really couldn't stand that game.
Old 04-28-08, 01:19 PM

stranglehold - only keep if its the 2-disc (sorry i didnt read any posts, this is just a quick suggestion on the fly)

perfect dark zero - keep only if you love the series/completeing collection

dead rising - obviously keep that game is great

go back and get F.E.A.R.
Old 04-28-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I've got every one of those games sitting on my shelf waiting to be played except for Stranglehold. Found them cheap and just haven't gotten a chance to play hardly any of them yet.

What little I have played of Dead Rising was good and very cool.

I just popped in Perfect Dark Zero this past weekend and played some multiplayer with friends and did the first mission via online co-op. In a word...it was atrocious. The game is a piece of crap. I never played any of the previous incarnations but comparing it other FPS that have been released in the last 7 years, it is junk. I feel crappy that I paid 10 bucks for it new.
Old 04-28-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Stranglehold is worth the money ($15 or less), Dead Rising is okay - the demo was a blast , the actual game is passable, PREY starts off fun and creepy but dwindles as it progresses, F.E.A.R. is repetative but cool, Perfect Dark Zero sucks.

Far Cry pissed me off because there was potential there but the controls do suck. How d o you screw up FPS controls that badly.
Old 04-28-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead Rising isn't really a great game as mentioned above (IMO). I played it with demo version - had blast time beating all zombies, etc... When I got the full version, it became "work" than fun. I kept getting all annoying phone calls from stupid janitor (if I remember correct), telling me to go places to save those people. It really killed the fun.

Perfect Dark Zero is okay game, it's fun - but not the best.

I haven't tried any other games as OP mentioned.
Old 04-28-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I kept getting all annoying phone calls from stupid janitor (if I remember correct), telling me to go places to save those people. It really killed the fun.
That's kinda the point of the game. Solve the zombie outbreak mystery and save survivors. Like I said above you don't even have to save them there are various endings depending on your path.
Old 04-28-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love zombie movies and zombie-fiction, but I couldn't get into the Dead Rising game. By all accounts I should have loved it, but the swarms of zombies just made me too tense to enjoy the game. It's not even really a scary game, but I still felt on edge.

Yet, I was able to beat Resident Evil: 4. Go figure.
Old 04-28-08, 03:34 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

F.E.A.R.
Old 04-28-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Decided to keep Dead Rising and Stranglehold. Took back Far Cry and Perfect Dark Zero. I figure I'll apply the money towards GTA4 instead.
Old 04-28-08, 06:49 PM
Banned

If you have a decent PC, get Far Cry for it. It is MUCH better. In fact, it is almost a completely different game.
Old 04-28-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's kinda the point of the game. Solve the zombie outbreak mystery and save survivors. Like I said above you don't even have to save them there are various endings depending on your path.
Yeah, I KNOW that. It's just that the phone calls getting on my nerve.
Old 04-28-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gotcha. Yea, Otis can be a bitch. Especially when you are achievement hunting and you gotta take his call in an inopportune time. The concept is good, but for a sequel they better give Frank and damn bluetooth headset.
Old 04-28-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh oh. Hope you don't play GTA IV
Old 04-29-08, 06:56 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Perfect Dark Zero - I personally think it's underrated. It's far from being perfect or anything close to as good as the original Perfect Dark, but it's still pretty fun both online and in SP. I still need to go back and play through this game myself - I only got a couple of missions in, but I played a bunch of MP.

Dead Rising - It's somewhat overrated, but it's good. The main problem is the save system. You really need to watch when you save because you can screw yourself over by saving when you've missed a major plot point, and then you'll have to start all over again. It's happened to me twice thus far. It is quite a bit of fun, but it's nothing too incredible.

I played the Far Cry sequel on the original XBOX and it was pretty good. I know that Predator has both of the games, so it's most-likely a good buy. I heard the original is phenomenal.
Old 04-29-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Well to chime in on the prospect of other games, with GTA just out I have a feeling some other good deals are around the corner. I was in B.B today and saw a few more titles in that $39 and under than normal. Granted not your high ranking and mega demanded ones but beats the heck out of $59!

Kenny J - B4EvrYng