Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hayao Miyazaki Fans, is this legit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hayao Miyazaki Fans, is this legit?

so im a big fan of spirited away, castle in the sky, howls, etc and i wanted to buy the whole collection so i was searching and came across these two sites.

the first site is selling the Studio Ghibli DVD Collection which contains 14 of miyazaki's films including spirited away etc. but i wasn't sure if i could trust this site because they were selling the collection for $42.00. isn't that a little too cheap for all those movies? heres the link:
http://www.shopanimedvd.com/product_...roducts_id=643

the 2nd site had the same collection minus 2 movies and everything else but was $59.99. this site seemed more reliable because it had comments and feedback at the bottom. what are you guys' take? heres the link to this:
http://www.discountanimedvd.com/Prod...-Dubbed-FX.asp

why are these collections so cheap. spirited away goes alone for $20+ any ideas?
Old 04-27-08, 03:29 AM

bootlegs
Old 04-27-08, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That would be my guess, but I'm not familiar with either site.
Old 04-27-08, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not really into Anime like that, save for Speed Racer and Cowboy Bebop, but Amazon has a 28 DVD Gift Set listed: http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Ghibli-...286993&sr=8-12
Old 04-27-08, 04:22 AM

While I can't say for sure, the 28 disc set also appears to be a bootleg (not being sold by amazon directly, but rather a 3rd party seller).

While it's strange for one to have that many discs (it seems they usually try to make it as cheaply as possible and cram numerous movies or episodes onto a single disc, like with the first 2 links), the Region 0/Chinese subtitles included are usually a good giveaway (not always a sure way to tell, but from my experience most legitimate discs will not contain chinese subtitles, and most will have a region code attached). The price is also very low for what would normally cost $10-20+ per film unless this is a legitimate Chinese product (which I'm a bit doubtful of), I'd have to give my best guess that its a boot. Some of the titles listed don't have any sort of english subtitles/audio either.
Old 04-27-08, 04:23 AM

Bootlegs, all of them. Only one official Studio Ghibli Collection set was ever released, and that's been out of print for years. Pictures and info at The Import Forums
Old 04-27-08, 04:46 AM

The region 0/Chinese thing alone is not really indicative of bootlegs. Basically 90% of releases in HK are R0 with Chinese subs. What is indicative is the Japanese writing on the packaging in conjunction with the Chinese subs. Japanese DVDs usually only come with Japanese subs, if that. Legit Chinese DVDs come with Chinese writing on the box (the Legit HK set has Japanese, but it's the studio name, everything else is in Chinese).

Small/unknown companies (FX??) releasing big movies is also another sign. Never trust Amazon for bit sets like that, especially when PAL and NTSC formats are mixed in together. A legit release would NEVER have that. The HK release is from IVL, which is a very, very good HK company. It also cost about US$225.
Old 04-27-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Borders has an exclusive Miyazaki Collection that contains 7 films: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle at a price of $202.99.

That's about $29 per DVD. If you have a Borders Rewards card (they're free) you could wait until they offer a 30% off coupon and get it for around $142- about $20 per DVD. With tax, that'd be just about enough for $5 in Borders Bucks (issued the next month for future purchases).
Old 04-27-08, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a 30% off coupon:

BORDERS REWARDS
EXCLUSIVE OFFER VALID THROUGH
4/27/08
30% Off
the List Price of One Item
with Purchase of $10 or More
http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon30100424.htm

You can check the weekly 30% off coupons here: