Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone own any arcade machines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone own any arcade machines?

If all goes well and I end up landing the house I want, I'd like to pick up 1-2 for my game room. Really looking at NBA Jam Tournament Edition. Anyone know good places to buy these, and the logistics that come with shipping such a large item?
Old 04-27-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I own a Darkstalkers arcade game. Bought it off of Ebay many years ago. Shipping was pretty expensive, but that is to be expected with an item such as this. And to be honest the novelty of owning an arcade machine wore off fast for me.
Old 04-27-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
start looking on ebay and craigslist for local machines. shipping games sucks. I paid $500 to ship a star wars cockpit from St. Louis to WA state. $1,000 to ship a playchoice 10 from NY to WA and other prices in between.

Another thing to consider is getting the NFL Blitz/NBA Showtime cabinet. Showtime is basically the same game as NBA Jam. I just posted the link to my game room pics in my sig if you're interested. The configuration in the room changed and my home theater is now in place - I've been lazy on taking/posting new pics.
Old 04-27-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, from checking eBay, they only have five listings total for NBA Jam TE, so I'm not sure how much of an option that will be. I've never bought anything over Craigslist before.

Cool looking room.
Old 04-27-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dan30oly
start looking on ebay and craigslist for local machines. shipping games sucks. I paid $500 to ship a star wars cockpit from St. Louis to WA state. $1,000 to ship a playchoice 10 from NY to WA and other prices in between.

Another thing to consider is getting the NFL Blitz/NBA Showtime cabinet. Showtime is basically the same game as NBA Jam. I just posted the link to my game room pics in my sig if you're interested. The configuration in the room changed and my home theater is now in place - I've been lazy on taking/posting new pics.

DVD talk party at Dans!. Great game room
Old 04-27-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I just posted the link to my game room pics in my sig if you're interested.
That baby blue wall is begging for an 8 bit Mario, some coin blocks, bricks and clouds.
Old 04-27-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have Missile Command in my kitchen. It is really good shape. I never use it, but just think it looks cool.
Old 04-27-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Just curious, what are those things on the left above the N.E.S. games?

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSC00223.jpg
And what's that with the BOA logo, a replica ATM?
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSC00222.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-27-08 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-27-08, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Costco sells arcade machines during the Christmas season for around $1500 and it includes more or less 100 games from Capcom.
Old 04-27-08, 09:32 AM

Why don't you look into buying/building a MAME cabinet
Old 04-27-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because I have no idea what that is.

Seriously, as of now, the only one I really want is NBA Jam TE.
Old 04-27-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The BoA sign is on a project screen tv.
Old 04-27-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aren't there prefab cabinets you can buy to just plug a MAME PC into? I just did a quick search and only found instructions on how to build cabinets from scratch. I think that is beyond me, but I would love to have a MAME cabinet someday. That and a pinball machine.
Old 04-27-08, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Just curious, what are those things on the left above the N.E.S. games?

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSC00223.jpg
And what's that with the BOA logo, a replica ATM?
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSC00222.jpg

Thanks!
Those are game pcb's (basically game cartridges without the cartridge) for the Nintendo Playchoice 10.
The Playchoice 10 is a system that you can select one of 10 games and in arcades you would typically get 300 seconds of play for 25cents. Right now I have Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3, Duck Hunt, The Goonies, Kung Fu, Rush 'n Attack, Mike Tysons Punch Out...I can't remember the others loaded in. When I get bored with that selection I can put the other pcb's in.

Here is a better description of the Playchoice 10
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9043
Old 04-27-08, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Aren't there prefab cabinets you can buy to just plug a MAME PC into? I just did a quick search and only found instructions on how to build cabinets from scratch. I think that is beyond me, but I would love to have a MAME cabinet someday. That and a pinball machine.
There are, many of them. There are also tons of plans available for free too. If you don't think your woodworking skills are up to it, it's not terribly involved. The biggest hurdle is finding the time and space to do the work. You can buy all the tools you need to do it for under $100 if you're starting from scratch.

To the OP. There was a pretty big thread on this a long time ago, a search may reveal it if it hasn't been pruned. I suggest looking for an arcade auction in your area. That's where I got both of my cabinets, cheap.
Old 04-27-08, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
http://www.arcadeshop.com/cabinets/cabinets.htm
Old 04-28-08, 06:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Craigs & eBay are expensive. MAME is nice, but time intensive. If yo ujust want to buy then you want to find a coin-op auction.

There's some at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. I picked up a nice 23" SmashTv is perfect condition for $500.

Watch this page: http://usamusement.com/calendar.html

If you google around you can find past auction listings from other attendees which should give you a price range for what you want.
Old 04-28-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.superauctions.com is another site to check out for coin-op auctions.
Old 05-15-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gcbrowni
Craigs & eBay are expensive. MAME is nice, but time intensive. If yo ujust want to buy then you want to find a coin-op auction.

There's some at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. I picked up a nice 23" SmashTv is perfect condition for $500.

Watch this page: http://usamusement.com/calendar.html

If you google around you can find past auction listings from other attendees which should give you a price range for what you want.
Is this just during the state fair, or can I swing up there anytime to look? The link you gave doesn't have anything listed past April of this year.

Tried googling, but didn't see much.
Old 05-16-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Because I have no idea what that is.

Seriously, as of now, the only one I really want is NBA Jam TE.
MAME = Emulator for classic arcade machines (I'd say almost every arcade machine through the early to mid 90s). Runs on PCs and modified Xbox consoles.

http://www.amazon.com/Gargantugame-P.../dp/B000X0RC62

Is the full set, I'd personally recommend getting a cabinet and building your own system (as it'd save a boatload on that price).

I actually want to get myself a Pinball machine. To my amazement, there is a local shop that sells a large variety of em. Now I just need money. Nobody happens to know a good place to find a reasonably priced Jukebox, would they?

Last edited by RichC2; 05-16-08 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I get a house, I'm going to get the X-Men 6 player.
Old 05-16-08, 10:57 AM

i bought a mortal kombat 2 machine off ebay for $450 a few years ago. me and my buddy made a 2 day road trip out of it driving to pick it up. we loaded it in the pickup truck and it immediatly started raining. we bought some tarp for the machine but it was kind of a nightmare. The machine was in OK condition. ended up reselling it for $600 on ebay to a local buyer.

a couple months later, i bought a great Ultimate MK3 machine, for $700 shipped. It was shipped in a crate and I had to pick it up at a location about an hour from my home. I had tons of fun with that machine and started buying jamma boards that I could easilly switch out (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mortal Kombat 1,2,3, and 4, etc.) ... Then I got sick of looking at it, and sold it w/ the boards for about $1500.

Now I have a HP Media Center PC hooked up to my basement HD projector and my upstairs LCD tv. I can play all my MAME,SNES,NES, etc through that and watch all my HD and BluRay movies, divx,mkv, cable, etc.

still, nothing compares to playing Mortal Kombat games while standing up and using real arcade buttons. i will never buy another arcade machine again though as the novelty really does wear off.
Old 05-17-08, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
i bought a mortal kombat 2 machine off ebay for $450 a few years ago. me and my buddy made a 2 day road trip out of it driving to pick it up. we loaded it in the pickup truck and it immediatly started raining. we bought some tarp for the machine but it was kind of a nightmare. The machine was in OK condition. ended up reselling it for $600 on ebay to a local buyer.

a couple months later, i bought a great Ultimate MK3 machine, for $700 shipped. It was shipped in a crate and I had to pick it up at a location about an hour from my home. I had tons of fun with that machine and started buying jamma boards that I could easilly switch out (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mortal Kombat 1,2,3, and 4, etc.) ... Then I got sick of looking at it, and sold it w/ the boards for about $1500.

Now I have a HP Media Center PC hooked up to my basement HD projector and my upstairs LCD tv. I can play all my MAME,SNES,NES, etc through that and watch all my HD and BluRay movies, divx,mkv, cable, etc.

still, nothing compares to playing Mortal Kombat games while standing up and using real arcade buttons. i will never buy another arcade machine again though as the novelty really does wear off.
Your current system (PC media hub) sounds really cool. How's that working out?
Old 05-17-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! Those aren't unreasonable at all. Once I get some space...it's on!
Old 05-17-08, 03:48 PM

Dan, or anyone else who has a pinball machine...
What kind of maintenance do they require? I would like to get a few eventually but I'm unsure about the amount of work/time required to keep them going.

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.