Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (Hurwitz/Schlossberg, 2008) — Reviews

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

IMDB | RT: 54% | April 25, 2008

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle is probably one of my favorite comedies of this decade and I'm glad that it got at least some renown after its theatrical release. The sequel is one of my most awaited movies of the year (seriously!) and I can't wait to see it tonight.

Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes have been mixed, but it's gotten a good review from the NY Times for example. I'll be seeing this and reporting back later.
Old 04-25-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick review as I'm heading to class:

I caught a sold-out midnight showing and everyone dug it. It's non-stop hilarity for it's fast-paced 100-minute running time, but it's not as fresh or original as the first film. It replaces some of it's smart, satirical humor from the original with a lot more low-brow bathroom gags.

I'm happy that my friend (Amir Talai, who plays Raza) has one of the biggest laughs in the entire film.

STAY for the scene after the end credits. Trust me.
Old 04-25-08, 04:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also saw it with a sold out midnight crowd and we all loved it. As Matthew said, it's pretty much non-stop laughs, but no, it doesn't have the fresh spontaneity of the first one. Still, there are some brilliant sequences in it, and Christopher Meloni had me in stitches.
Old 04-25-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I also saw it with a sold out midnight crowd and we all loved it. As Matthew said, it's pretty much non-stop laughs, but no, it doesn't have the fresh spontaneity of the first one. Still, there are some brilliant sequences in it, and Christopher Meloni had me in stitches.
I honestly wish Christopher Meloni's character had more screen-time. I thought his role as the KKK leader was a lot funnier than Freakshow.

The only three things that I disliked about the sequel:

1) Rob Corddry is a hack and needs to be banned from Hollywood. If it wasn't for the actors around him on screen, his scenes could've been borderline awful. For the third feature film in a row, I wonder how the hell he has a career.

2) The romantic subplot with Kumar and Danneel Harris' character brings the film to a screeching halt whenever it's brought into play. I realize it is a driving force for how the film gets to it's third act and eventual climax, but it's just boring and there's no fun to be had at all when those scenes take place.

3) The supporting cast doesn't get enough time to shine unlike the last outing. NPH, David Krumholtz, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Ed Helms, and Meloni all deserved more time to let rip. Roger Bart was sadly wasted, but my God, Beverly D'Angelo's cameo came the fuck out of nowhere and was amazing.

I really like the film and was laughing my ass off for a majority of the time, but compared to the last one, it could've been tweaked a bit for the best.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 04-25-08 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This felt like an epic comedy. It didn't drag, but it didn't have the out-of-left-field jokes that the first movie had, with one exception:

Spoiler:

the NPH shrooming / unicorn bit

I agree with Matthew, it would've helped to have the characters "do" a little bit more but at the same time I didn't want this dragged into 2+ hour Apatow territory. This was a great movie and it won't disappoint. My friend who saw it with me said it was one of the rare cases where the sequel topped the original. The audience loved. I did too, but thought it could've had just a few more tweaks. Highly recommended if you liked the first one.

If you haven't seen the first one, I recommend you watch it before seeing the sequel.
Old 04-26-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Can't believe the positive reception this thing is getting around here. After all the shit that movies like "Meet the Spartans" gets people would give this lowbrow, pro-pot smoking, anti-American POS of like this a pass.....and an endorsement. Blech.

Now bring on all the "Whoa, dude, like...lighten up." responses.

Last edited by Wolf359; 04-26-08 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-26-08, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Can't believe the positive reception this thing is getting around here. After all the shit that movies like "Meet the Spartans" gets people would give this lowbrow, pro-pot smoking, anti-American POS of like this a pass.....and an endorsement. Blech.

More like "quit your damn threadcrapping" responses.

Sure it's a review thread, but if you haven't seen it, there's nothing to review.

I, a non-pot smoking Canadian who doesn't give a shit about patriotism regardless of country and would never use the word "dude", loved the first one (and would NEVER see "Meet The Spartans" or "Superhero Movie" or any of that horseshit) because the characters were so good, and will gladly see this one.
Old 04-26-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This movie is actually pro-America. But wait, you didn't bother to see it. You're just making an assumption.
Old 04-26-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

You have been a member of this forum for over a year, YOU know how it works and your comments are aimed at people who like the movie and you are trying to insult them.
Do you get some sort of silly fascination commenting on a movie you have never seen?

As others have pointed out you are clearly threadcrapping, no need to ask you to lighten up, we will just tell you to go away and ignore you.
Old 04-26-08, 10:54 AM

I saw this last night with a pretty full crowd, and there was a constant flow of laughs throughout the movie. I was dissapointed it wasn't as fresh like previous posters mentioned, but as low brow as it was, I enjoyed it a alot. But, yea, more Meloni, more supporting, and, besides Raza....best party ever.
Old 04-26-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
it didn't have the out-of-left-field jokes that the first movie had
You know what, I didn't pick up on that when I saw the movie.

So you're saying it needed more Jamie Kennedy?
Old 04-26-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I agree I would have like to see more out-of-left-field jokes. It could have used more rabid raccoons, Jamie Kennedy, & Ryan Reynolds

I'm a big fan of the original, and felt that this one was a bit dumbed-down and also lost some of the heart. Overall I did enjoy it (and most of my friends thought it was funnier than the first), but I would have liked to see less "laugh because you're shocked" moments and more real comedy. Sadly, shock moments tend to not hold up over repeated viewings.
Old 04-26-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. But you missed one thing. HAROLD AND KUMAR is funny.

Dur.
Old 04-26-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shilex
Yeah, I agree I would have like to see more out-of-left-field jokes. It could have used more rabid raccoons, Jamie Kennedy, & Ryan Reynolds
NPH riding a Unicorn going off into a different dimension? A bottomless party? A boat full of Cubans?

The out-of-left field jokes are there (and just like the first one, help serve to move the story along), but I don't think they're as funny or insane as the first go-around.
Old 04-26-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Those were the highlights for me...but I couldn't help but come away disappointed. I thought it was funny, but not nearly as funny as the first flick. I thought the 'cyclops' was a pretty weak joke and totally unnecessary (kind of off-putting). I think they had some decent supporting characters and situations that got shortchanged for the unfunny Rob Corddry stuff. I actually like RC but he dragged the movie to a screeching halt...

I also felt that Harold & Kumar didn't get as much funny material for themselves as the last film... some really great moments, but I think this was a rewrite away from being a worthy follow-up. Something just felt off to me... still, funny enough for fans to see, but won't be getting the repeating viewings I had anticipated (looks like I'll see Forgetting Sarah Marshall with my other friends this weekend instead).
Old 04-26-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, the first 2/3 of the film were so-so to average, but the last 3rd of the film almost salvages what came before it, but not quite. I am really tiring of Rob Corddry, he basically ruins any scene he is in (for pretty much any film he appears in).

If you're a fan of the original, this is an average sequel, so temper your expectations.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 04-26-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
A boat full of Cubans?
They could've done so much more with that though.
Old 04-26-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't gone yet, I was going to last night but the latest shows are around here are at 10:30 even on Fridays.. I'm going to try and catch it tonight. I've been waiting forever for this to come out..

Glad to hear it delivers!!
Old 04-26-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So stupid. There is nothing of substance or anything redeeming about this movie.

But I laughed my ass off. I was actually dizzy during the KKK scene.
Old 04-27-08, 01:11 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny movie, but not as good as the first one.
Old 04-27-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
They could've done so much more with that though.
As I said with my #3, the entire supporting cast is nearly wasted and not given more to do.
Old 04-27-08, 11:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I also thought Corddry was the weak link here although I did laugh at his wild insensitivity. But overall that character reminded me too much of Will Ferrell's character from Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, which to me was the weakest part of *that* movie.
Old 04-27-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I've never seen any H&K flicks but this one has me interested.
Old 04-27-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
BUY the new release that just came out. Sets you back $12-14 and includes a free ticket for the sequel.
Old 04-27-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Do not start with this one. See the first one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.