Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Doctor Who - Timelash'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Doctor Who - Timelash at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32992 and...

What can you say about one of the most universally reviled Doctor Who adventures?... I was fairly surprised when the Restoration Team announced that it was coming to DVD as a stand alone disc. I figured they'd try to slip that one by us by packaging it with some more popular stories, possibly as a season set.
Back in 2002, when I reviewed the "Ark in Space" I made the minor grumble about this aspect of Who on DVD.

...the world of Doctor Who is so huge, these single story releases will become very wallet draining. When broadcast, Ark in Space was followed, in cliffhanger form no less, by a short two episode adventure, The Sontaran Experiment. Why on Earth they didn't go ahead and include that tale is beyond me. Sontaran is probably too short as a stand alone release; it would either have to be combined with Ark or the episode that follows it, Genesis of The Daleks. Assuming they keep to this single release policy with hundreds of Who episodes, its certainly going to be difficult to cram extras on every one. So, why not put extras on the fan favorites (BBC did a poll, after all) and release the rest bare but in seasonal box sets? I mean, I love the extras on this disc, but I am realistic. I would rather have entire seasons (please, season 13), even if that meant sacrificing extras on some tales.
The Restoration Team actually replied to me and said that according to their feedback, Who fans only wanted releases with lots of extras, thus they were staying away from expensive box sets and barebones releases. They have since packaged the "Key to Time" season and the Baker-Davison changeover, but lo' and behold, even "Sonatron Experiment" got a standalone (though price-reduced) release and wasn't packaged with "Genesis..."

My opinion still hasn't changed and "Timelash" is a good example of a lesser Who that could be a bare release. Yeah the extras addressing that it isn't good are novel but wont that kind of thing wear out its welcome on every pissy Who arc?

So, me and Mr. Sinnott agree. I wish they would concede and quit with the trickle of releases. Restore what really needs it, produce their high standard extras with the faves, and just get the rest out there already.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-21-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 05:02 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey John,

I really thought the BBC had changed their philosophy of single-story releases when they released the Beginnings set. I would have thought that the first story and the first Dalek adventure would have both sold very well on their own. At least as well as The Aztecs (which I enjoyed) or The Web Planet (that was a bit silly.) Alas that wasn't the case.

The whole of Tom Baker's first season would have made a killer set too. The episodes are all linked (though the link between Robot and Ark in Space is tenuous) and they're a lot of fun too. I would think a set like that would make a lot of Who converts.