Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Bewitched: The Complete Sixth Season'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Bewitched: The Complethttp://dvdtalk.com/forum/register.php?s=&action=signup
registerede Sixth Season
at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32968 and...

There are several statements that are wrong.The idea that Dick Sargent was supposed to be the original Darrin is a piece of TV lore that Sargent started himself in an interview done after the series closed. Dick Sargent was never signed nor ever asked to be the first Darrin Stephens. Bill Asher is on record saying that Dick York was "just too perfect in his audition to consider anyone else." Asher has made it clear in numerous interviews that Dick York was the first choice. Sargent's name had merely been submitted for consideration, but was dropped because he was under contract.Sargent never had to "come back" to the show, because he was never part of it to begin with.

Secondly, Montgomery and Asher marital problems did not begin until the end of the 7th season. They were fine through the 6th season.

Montgomery technically did not want out after season 5 and Bill Asher never wanted out. He knew a cash cow when he saw one. Montgomery threatened to leave if York's contract was extended. Montgomery did not like York and had been trying to get him off the show since season 2. She was continually vetoed by producers who recognized York's perfection in the role. When contracts came up for renewal and after York had missed so many episodes, she simply said "York or me." The lucrative contract was just normal business as Montgomery and Asher recognized the dollar potential of the series.

Producers for the show wanted to continue for another three years after season 8, but Montgomery refused and walked away.
Old 04-21-08, 03:18 PM
Suspended

york>sargent

fin
Old 04-21-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard and read different on those subjects, Andy (in interviews and articles from the time period), but these kinds of recollections from actors and producers involved in a series are always subject to Rashomon-like takes on what "really" happened, and they can change over time, too (I've heard at least four "official" versions of what happened with York, so go figure), so....

But I've certainly never conducted any intense scholarly research on Montgomery and the show, so I'll include your comments at the end of the review if you'd like, Andy, and thanks for writing!
Old 04-21-08, 07:18 PM

Thanks, Paul for your consideration. A recent biography on Elizabeth Montgomery included interviews with the Associate Producer of the show who cleared up a lot of questions.

Andy
Old 04-21-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet -- I'll definitely check that out; I think she was a most underrated actress, particularly when she abandoned the Samantha character, and moved back into drama on TV.