Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Up to Date RCE list

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up to Date RCE list

Hi all, does anyone know where I can get an up to date list of all Region 1 titles that have RCE?

EDIT: I live in Ireland, and I have a Philips DVDR3480, which is a Region 2 player, but last night I looked up an unlock code on the net and changed it to Region 0, which I've since found out won't work with RCE Region 1 titles, but changing it to Region 1 instead should. I was wondering if anyone knew how many times I could change the region back and forth, from Region 2 to Region 1. Does it ever lock on one region after a certain number of changes, or are you free to change it back and forth indefinitely? What I'd most like to know is, does Warner Home Video (WHV) currently implement RCE? I read somewhere that online retailers like Amazon place RCE warnings on their product description pages. I looked up a couple of Region 1 DVDs from WHV on Amazon.com, one didn't have an RCE warning, the other did, but I was confused by the fact that, instead of saying very clearly "This DVD has RCE on it", the warning said "Some DVDs may have RCE." Well, if one DVD doesn't have an RCE warning on Amazon, and another does, surely the one that does has RCE on it. Why then would the warning say "Some DVDs may have RCE."?

Last edited by Bruce Banner; 04-20-08 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hi,

I don't think there is any limit on how many times you could change the region-coding on your player. I sent a Cyberhome to a colleague who lives overseas and he's done it a number of times. As to a complete RCE list, frankly, I have not looked up for one as I never needed the info it provides. If ever in doubt however perhaps you could look up www.thedvdforums.com where the majority of the posters are from your neck of the woods.

Pro-B
Old 04-20-08, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Hi,

I don't think there is any limit on how many times you could change the region-coding on your player. I sent a Cyberhome to a colleague who lives overseas and he's done it a number of times. As to a complete RCE list, frankly, I have not looked up for one as I never needed the info it provides. If ever in doubt however perhaps you could look up www.thedvdforums.com where the majority of the posters are from your neck of the woods.

Pro-B
Thanks for the help, will do, .
Old 04-20-08, 08:20 PM

Quote from http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm

"Although your DVD player can read a disc from another region you still have to be concerned with the video format used to create the DVD. For example, Region 1 discs are made with NTSC while Region 2 and some region 4 use PAL. You will also need either a video format convert or a DVD player with a converter built in to make sure you can play discs from other regions."

Does anyone know if the Philips DVDR3480 has a video format converter built in?
Old 04-20-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The isn't a limit to the number of times a standalone DVD player can have its region switched since, technically, this ability shouldn't be available to the end consumer. That's why it's a "hack" you look up in the internet instead of a "feature" mentioned in the manual.

As for NTSC playback, this site mentions that it'll play NTSC, but not whether it will convert it:
http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/dvd...dr3480_05.html

Note that it's possible, since you're in the UK, that your TV may be able to display NTSC, which would negate the need for conversion.
Old 04-21-08, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The isn't a limit to the number of times a standalone DVD player can have its region switched since, technically, this ability shouldn't be available to the end consumer. That's why it's a "hack" you look up in the internet instead of a "feature" mentioned in the manual.

As for NTSC playback, this site mentions that it'll play NTSC, but not whether it will convert it:
http://www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/dvd...dr3480_05.html

Note that it's possible, since you're in the UK, that your TV may be able to display NTSC, which would negate the need for conversion.
That's great, thanks a lot for your help, . So, basically, it's SUPPOSED to only be able to play PAL if it's Region 2, and NTSC if it's All-Region, but because I've hacked into it, if I change the code to Region 1, and insert a Region 1 disc, it should be able to play no problem, right? Does the title under your name mean you're a mod here? And I'm not in the UK by the way, I'm in the Republic of Ireland.
Old 04-21-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
That's great, thanks a lot for your help, . So, basically, it's SUPPOSED to only be able to play PAL if it's Region 2, and NTSC if it's All-Region, but because I've hacked into it, if I change the code to Region 1, and insert a Region 1 disc, it should be able to play no problem, right?
Your DVD player will definitely play the disc, the problem is that I'm not certain if you'll be able to display the video from the disc. The DVD player either has to convert the NTSC signal to PAL, or your TV has to be able to display NTSC. If you can borrow or rent an NTSC (any region) disc and test it that'd be best.

Does the title under your name mean you're a mod here?
Nope, the title moderator indicates that ones a mod. My current title, DVD Talk Platinum Edition, just means I've been on this site long enough to have made a lot of posts. Your New Member title will change as soon as you've made the requisite number of posts to be awarded the next title.

And I'm not in the UK by the way, I'm in the Republic of Ireland.
My bad. Googling your player's model (which is also a recorder, right?) brought up a lot of .uk sites, hence the confusion.
Old 04-21-08, 09:11 AM

Your DVD player will definitely play the disc, the problem is that I'm not certain if you'll be able to display the video from the disc. The DVD player either has to convert the NTSC signal to PAL, or your TV has to be able to display NTSC. If you can borrow or rent an NTSC (any region) disc and test it that'd be best.
Thanks, . My TV, a Panasonic TX-28DK1L, definitely, as far as I can remember, does display NTSC. I had a multi-regional VCR hooked up to it several years ago and could play NTSC tapes.

Nope, the title moderator indicates that ones a mod. My current title, DVD Talk Platinum Edition, just means I've been on this site long enough to have made a lot of posts. Your New Member title will change as soon as you've made the requisite number of posts to be awarded the next title.
Thanks for the info, .

My bad. Googling your player's model (which is also a recorder, right?) brought up a lot of .uk sites, hence the confusion.
No probs, .