Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What other bands/music sound like this? (BARR's The Song is the Single)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Alright, I've really enjoyed listening to Brendan Fowler's song: BARR - "The Song is the Single"

Here it is for your listening pleasure.*

The song is pretty simple musically and there's not really any singing, just talking. But there's something about it and I like it. So, knowing full well that nothing new is really new, I'd like recommendations for stuff like this.

I don't wan't spoken word (Gil Scott Heron, etc.). but something that sounds like the above.

* Pleasure may vary and is not guaranteed.
Old 04-19-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BARR's a pretty unique act and you're going to have a tough time finding more in this specific vein. There's a track (here) on the new Shit & Shine album, Cherry, that's along these lines, although it's definitely not representative of the rest of the disc. Also of possible interest if you're feeling adventurous: Text's self-titled album.

The closest thing I can recommend would be Tim Kinsella's brilliant Field Recordings of Dreams from last year (review). Again, this isn't a 'to the letter' replication of BARR's style, but the same general concept is at work and in the proper state of mind, I think you may be completely captivated by it.

Of course, you could always just look into the previous BARR album, Beyond Reinforced Jewel Case. I preferred it over the album "Song Is the Single" comes off of and it'd be the most obvious, direct way to get more of what you're looking for. "My List of Demands" has been one of my favorite things to include on mixes over the past few years.
Old 04-20-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks, Cosmic Bus!