Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Cliff Davies (Ted Nugent Drummer from the 70's)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

From KNAC.com &
From Wsbtv.com:

Police are investigating the apparent suicide of a former drummer for rocker Ted Nugent. Corporal Brandon Gurley with the Paulding County Sheriff's department says 59-year-old Clifford Davies was found dead from a gunshot wound in his suburban Atlanta home Sunday. Gurley said Tuesday authorities are awaiting the results of an autopsy.

A woman who answered the phone at Davies' home said she wanted to check with her family before commenting.

Reed Beaver, who owns Equametric Studio in Marietta where Davies was a chief engineer, confirmed Davies was a drummer for Nugent and played on the recording of his trademark song 'Cat Scratch Fever'. Beaver says Davies called him Saturday "extremely distraught" over money for medical bills.

Dallas is about 35 miles west of Atlanta.

Davies was credited with drums, percussion, producer, vocals (background) on some of Nugent's classic output: Ted Nugent (1975), Free For All (1977), Cat Scratch Fever (1977), Double Live Gonzo (1978), Weekend Warriors (1978), State Of Shock (1979), Scream Dream (1980).
From melodicrock.com

R.I.P. NUGENT DRUMMER CLIFF DAVIES:
"Sunday Morning, April 13, 2008, Ted Nugent's drummer/producer, Cliff Davies, passed away in Dallas, Georgia. He was 59 years old.
Cliff was best known as the drummer and producer for Ted Nugent in the 1970's and early 1980's when Ted was at his peak. This wasn't a surprise. As those closest to him know, and Ted himself admitted many times during that period, Cliff is the man responsible for making Ted Nugent a household name.
Originally brought in to produce Ted by Lew Futterman in 1975 and eventually, taking over duties behind the drums. his contributions to Ted Nugent's career cannot be ignored. He was an Unknown Hero of Rock a man who did his job but is often overlooked beyond being a name on an album jacket. However, beyond just his production credits, for example, there are many little known pieces of trivia, Cliff was the voice on the studio version of the song Stormtroopin. Derek St. Holmes who always sung the song live, didn't particularly like the song and so Cliff stepped in to provide the studio vocal. He also co-wrote and/or arranged all of Ted Nugent's biggest hits though given little or no credit. He didn't need that. That was the way he was. The ultimate team player. For example, the "Bolero" section of Stranglehold was created by Cliff. He also co-wrote the songs "Together" and "I Love You So I Told You A Lie" from Free-For-All. Again, all of this behind the scenes and never was there any complaints about who should get credit.
After leaving Ted Nugent in the early 1980's, Cliff spent time working as a producer for various projects including the final Grand Funk album, "What's Funk". Eventually, however, he walked away from the industry.
In recent years, Cliff lived in the Atlanta, Georgia area. In 2005, after a brief reunion with former band mates Rob Grange and Derek St. Holmes, he began work on the development of the Rock and Roll Remembers Foundation, a charity close to his heart. The foundation, in Cliff's words, was a long time in coming as there was a need that needed to be filled. And so Rock and Roll Remembers was created specifically targeting those within the rock and roll industry. It's mission was and is to aid and assist those within the rock and roll community who fall on hard times. Even though he was not financially secure himself, he generously donated his time to help this cause, something that will never be forgotten by those whom we are able to help in the future. That was the way Cliff lived. He always had time for others. His work will not be for naught and the foundation will move forward in the hopes of being able to truly help those in need the way Cliff wanted. However, there is a giant void that may never be filled.
His final production credit and recorded appearances were all to benefit Rock and Roll Remembers. As a member of the Unknown Heroes of Rock, Cliff produced a studio EP featuring himself on drums and an assortment of friends lending a hand to help raise money for the foundation. It is currently available exclusively through the foundation. (If you would like a copy, please contact Rock and Roll Remembers.) He also made his final public appearance at a benefit concert on April 5, 2008 in Fresno, California as part of the Unknown Heroes.
Bummer.

Cliff was a really good drummer. I saw him play on Ted's World Penetration Tour in 1984 (for the Penetrator album). That was one hell of a show. Cliff played his ass off (and Ted put 3 or 4 miles on that stage). It was the last tour he ever played with Nugent (he had returned to the band just for that one tour).

I always wondered what had happened to him. After the 1984 tour he just seemed to drop off the map. A sad ending to a great career and a tragic end for someone who seemed like a good guy.
Old 04-19-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad that he's dead, but as you point out he hasn't done anything in 24 years.

But those were some classic songs he worked on in the '70s.