Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : YAET: Insurance - Optional to the Buyer?

j123vt_99
04-18-08, 06:41 PM
Can someone explain to me why insurance is optional to the buyer and not mandatory to the seller? I just 'won' a ps3 game on ebay... $16 + 5 for shipping and then I had the option of insurance for $2 more.. If I pay for the game ($21) and the shipper doesn't get it to me or it arrives damaged, I don't understand how it would be my fault that I didn't pay for insurance.. Am I missing something?

tasha99
04-18-08, 07:11 PM
If you use Paypal, you're covered. Dumb sellers make insurance optional thinking they'll get the buyer to pay for it. They're really just making it free for those who opt out. I always make it mandatory--buyer still pays for it.

Jacoby Ellsbury
04-18-08, 07:17 PM
I never use insurance or delivery confirmation. Well I had about 100 auctions ending this past month, mostly cd's, dvd's, video games and comics, small priced stuff. One box of comics was "delivered without contents" as stamped by the post office. I had to refund the guy his money. The comics didnt basically cost me anything, it was a $25 auction for about 30 Hulk comics, the comics were left overs from a huge lot I bought off someone for $200. So I was out the shipping cost of $6. Basically someone at the post office tore open my box en route and delivered an empty box. Nothing I can do about this, post office F'd me.

Now I have a pair of pants I sold someone in canada with an unconfirmed address, total cost of the auction was $25, the pants were a gift and only cost the person like $8 and the $5 or so it cost me to ship em. Well this person is saying they never received the pants. They paid through paypal and I dont think you can do delivery confirmation on international shipments. Is there anything I can do about this, its been about 20 days since the end of auction on this one. Should I not do business with people with unconfirmed paypal addresses?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
04-18-08, 08:15 PM
some sellers do not ship to unconfirmed paypal addresses. just put that in your auction.

Heat
04-18-08, 11:26 PM
You're right, it's the responsibilty of the seller to get the product to you whether or not you pay for insurance.

Some sellers include insurance in the price, that is fine if they include it in the selling price. What irks me are the sellers who list a shipping price, then say in the fine print of their auction that the bidder must pay an extra $2 (or whatever) for insurance. I never bid on those auctions.

Jacoby Ellsbury
04-19-08, 10:26 AM
Im going to start buying a bunch of stuff using paypal and every single auction that doesnt have delivery confirmation Im saying I never received it. I think half these people are scamming me. I had the guy who received his box "shipped w/o contents" take a photo of the box before I sent him a check back.