Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me find a screen and a projector on the cheap

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here goes:

I'm looking for a projector and a screen. A screen isn't a must because my walls are a lighter color (darker beige) and I don't need a SS system, because I've already got a cheap one.

I'm looking for the cheapest projector out there. It doesn't have to be HD. It can be regular old SD for all I care (even though I do collect Blu-ray discs). I just want something quick, dirt cheap and it works. The picture doesn't have to be outstanding in the least, because I'm just looking for something temporary.

I know I probably won't find something for these low price ranges, but anything between $200-$300 would be best. I'd even go up to $500 at the very most.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Old 04-18-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are probably looking at a business 800x600 in that price range. Or used. Or refurb. Business models tend to favor brightness over picture quality, but if that doesn't bother you, you should be fine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&Sku=V18-5110
Old 04-19-08, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
You are probably looking at a business 800x600 in that price range. Or used. Or refurb. Business models tend to favor brightness over picture quality, but if that doesn't bother you, you should be fine.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&Sku=V18-5110
Thanks for the help Spiky, I'll look into that. $379.99 is a pretty good price for 1080i.
Old 04-19-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Personally I'd build your own screen. You an build a decent one for less then $100 for about 100".
Old 04-19-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uh, that isn't 1080, it's 600. And no digital projector is interlaced.
Old 04-20-08, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Personally I'd build your own screen. You an build a decent one for less then $100 for about 100".
I was thinking about building my own screen. I'm not paying $200+ for a glorified sheet.

Originally Posted by Spiky
Uh, that isn't 1080, it's 600. And no digital projector is interlaced.
Video Signals: NTSC4.43
PAL
SECAM
NTSCM, HDTV (480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i)
Old 04-20-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That just means it will accept those signals. But it will down rez (convert them) them to the projector's native resolution.

Not so much now, but in the past some displays would not even show certain signals. This is saying it will show the signal, but it will not be 1080i that you are seeing. You will see whatever the native resolution of the pj is.

OH, and don't get me wrong. There are some awesome screens out there for purchase. Any they are far more then "glorified" sheets. But you said you were on a budget. So on a budget I typically recommend builing your own. Very nice results. Not much money.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-20-08 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-23-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm shopping around for a projector myself. Between the tax refund and Uncle Bush's bonus gift, I've got a pretty good head start so it doesn't hurt the wallet as much.

While picking up a couple of dvds at B.B. today, I checked out what they had. The info thingy suggested that you want a minimum of 2000:1 contrast when it comes to viewing movies (if not more), and a minimum of 2000 lumens as far as brightness is concerned. Does this seem fairly accurate?

Also, just wondering where I can "test drive" any of them...
Old 04-23-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well typically you cannot "test drive" from local stores. Tho some higher end places will let you so long as you don't put to many hours on them. Also some on line places will let you return the unit, again so long as not to many hours on the bulb.

But people end up buying without ever seeing. How? Lots and lot of research. Then come up with a plan that usually starts with setting a budget. But be sure and include in your budget, screen (you can make one but it will still cost at least $100 or so), ceiling mount (tho again you could build on) or shelf, long wire(s), curtains or other light control, etc. Couple of good site to get you started.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm
http://www.projectorreviews.com/

Be sure and check out AVS, but read there a lot before posting. Can get a little testy over there, but excellent, excellent information.
Old 04-23-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you need a cheap pull-down screen rather than building a fixed screen, I picked up an Elite Screens 106" gray screen from newegg for (IIRC) ~$130 shipped.

It's got some waves and is a bit squeaky, but it does the job OK for now.

Keep an eye on the woot (woot.com - daily deal site) for a cheap 480p projector. They occasionally have one like the Infocus IN74 for pretty cheap.
Old 04-23-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking around at fixed screens, but I'm confused about the shipping. I'm assuming that there's assembly required for a fixed screen, but is that something that I can reasonably assemble to the best specifications myself?

I'm debating looking around locally, but I assume I'll run into the same assembly problems.
Old 04-23-08, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I'm looking around at fixed screens, but I'm confused about the shipping. I'm assuming that there's assembly required for a fixed screen, but is that something that I can reasonably assemble to the best specifications myself?

I'm debating looking around locally, but I assume I'll run into the same assembly problems.
I'd try a place that has a free or really cheap installation service. Something like the Geek Squad, that'll do it for free or very, very cheaply.
Old 04-23-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well typically you cannot "test drive" from local stores. Tho some higher end places will let you so long as you don't put to many hours on them. Also some on line places will let you return the unit, again so long as not to many hours on the bulb.

But people end up buying without ever seeing. How? Lots and lot of research. Then come up with a plan that usually starts with setting a budget. But be sure and include in your budget, screen (you can make one but it will still cost at least $100 or so), ceiling mount (tho again you could build on) or shelf, long wire(s), curtains or other light control, etc. Couple of good site to get you started.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm
http://www.projectorreviews.com/

Be sure and check out AVS, but read there a lot before posting. Can get a little testy over there, but excellent, excellent information.
Thanks for the feedback and recommended sites...I'll definitely check them out.

I guess I wasn't too clear on one point, though. What I meant by test-drive was just to see it in action with a movie or a sampler disk or something like that, but something in store. I didn't mean taking it home. I'm stunned anyone would allow you to take it home for a test-drive!

Seeing it in action will help clarify a few things. What's the brightness difference between 1000 lumens and 2000 lumens? How can you explain that without a visual presentation? Or contrast differences between 1000:1 as opposed to 3000:1?

I'd think within a few minutes, I'd be able to say "not bright enough," or something like that. Are such things even readily obvious?
Old 04-23-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
If you need a cheap pull-down screen rather than building a fixed screen, I picked up an Elite Screens 106" gray screen from newegg for (IIRC) ~$130 shipped.

It's got some waves and is a bit squeaky, but it does the job OK for now.

Keep an eye on the woot (woot.com - daily deal site) for a cheap 480p projector. They occasionally have one like the Infocus IN74 for pretty cheap.

Here's another thing I'm sort of oblivious to at the moment; what's the 480p all about? As far as screens, are they a huge necessity? You might have seen a photo or two of my place this post, and wonder if I need a screen (at least immediately) with white walls (no problem taking things down) and the room measuring roughly 22 feet by 27 feet, I believe...
Old 04-23-08, 03:43 PM

Try Epson's official online store and look at refurbs. These should be pretty good quality and fit your budget.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/B...yes&oid=-13264
Old 04-23-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool suggestion westerbergrules....thanks! The two that are available under a thousand dollars are 480 p, which if I read correctly, is the lowest end of quality. Is that quality good for watching dvds? That's essentially all I want to do with the projector. I have no plans on watching tv on it casually, hell, I'd burn the bulb out in no time!
Old 04-23-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by harpo787
Thanks for the feedback and recommended sites...I'll definitely check them out.

I guess I wasn't too clear on one point, though. What I meant by test-drive was just to see it in action with a movie or a sampler disk or something like that, but something in store. I didn't mean taking it home. I'm stunned anyone would allow you to take it home for a test-drive!

Seeing it in action will help clarify a few things. What's the brightness difference between 1000 lumens and 2000 lumens? How can you explain that without a visual presentation? Or contrast differences between 1000:1 as opposed to 3000:1?

I'd think within a few minutes, I'd be able to say "not bright enough," or something like that. Are such things even readily obvious?
Well there are few stores I know of that you can see the pj we are talking about SET UP WELL. Best buy sometimes has them but typically I'm not impressed with the set up or calibration. And high end stores that have everything set up well, typically only have the high end expensive projectors.

Personally, I'm not a "statistics" guy. Look at the pj's that have the best reviews. Many don't have great stats. You rarely if ever can pull out a single stat and say "good pj or bad pj". Now if you have a specific need, like you want a super bright projector, then look for that. But then you may be sacrificing something else, like black levels.
Old 04-23-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by harpo787
Here's another thing I'm sort of oblivious to at the moment; what's the 480p all about? As far as screens, are they a huge necessity? You might have seen a photo or two of my place this post, and wonder if I need a screen (at least immediately) with white walls (no problem taking things down) and the room measuring roughly 22 feet by 27 feet, I believe...
480p means it is progressive scan 480 lines of resolution. This can display a very nice image, but no high def. Look for 720p or 1080p (on digital pj's) if you want HD.

Typically showing on a plain painted wall is not optimum. Would you like it and make due? Perhaps. Typically screens are not solid white. And also typically walls aren't smooth. On a budget, I'd build a fixed screen with a nice black boarder (see my signature, built the screen in less then 3 hours for less then $150 and it works well).
Old 04-23-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sdallnct, again, that is an awesome job with that room you've got there. Do you have anything behind those red curtains and how do they do during the day? My wife is concerned about what kind of curtains she'll need to keep the light out as much as possible.
Old 04-25-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

480p means it is progressive scan 480 lines of resolution. This can display a very nice image, but no high def. Look for 720p or 1080p (on digital pj's) if you want HD.

Typically showing on a plain painted wall is not optimum. Would you like it and make due? Perhaps. Typically screens are not solid white. And also typically walls aren't smooth. On a budget, I'd build a fixed screen with a nice black boarder (see my signature, built the screen in less then 3 hours for less then $150 and it works well).
So if you're watching non HD dvds, then the 480 should suffice? I've been looking at the Epson MovieMate, which would seem to fit right in to my budget. I WAS looking at a refurbished one at Epson's site, but it appears to be gone now. Sigh...

Well, again, it just gives me more time to weigh and consider various options.