Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Art is best served as shock value?

Save Ferris
04-17-08, 11:50 AM
'Hmm lets see, im an art student and I want to market myself. I have to think of the most offensive and bizarre project I can!'

"For senior, abortion a medium for art, political discourse

Art major Aliza Shvarts '08 wants to make a statement.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.

The goal in creating the art exhibition, Shvarts said, was to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body. But her project has already provoked more than just debate, inciting, for instance, outcry at a forum for fellow senior art majors held last week. And when told about Shvarts' project, students on both ends of the abortion debate have expressed shock saying the project does everything from violate moral code to trivialize abortion.

But Shvarts insists her concept was not designed for "shock value."

"I hope it inspires some sort of discourse," Shvarts said. "Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

The "fabricators," or donors, of the sperm were not paid for their services, but Shvarts required them to periodically take tests for sexually transmitted diseases. She said she was not concerned about any medical effects the forced miscarriages may have had on her body. The abortifacient drugs she took were legal and herbal, she said, and she did not feel the need to consult a doctor about her repeated miscarriages.

Shvarts declined to specify the number of sperm donors she used, as well as the number of times she inseminated herself.

Art major Juan Castillo '08 said that although he was intrigued by the creativity and beauty of her senior project, not everyone was as thrilled as he was by the concept and the means by which she attained the result.

"I really loved the idea of this project, but a lot other people didn't," Castillo said. "I think that most people were very resistant to thinking about what the project was really about. [The senior-art-project forum] stopped being a conversation on the work itself."

Although Shvarts said she does not remember the class being quite as hostile as Castillo described, she said she believes it is the nature of her piece to "provoke inquiry."

"I believe strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity," Shvarts said. "I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."

The display of Schvarts' project will feature a large cube suspended from the ceiling of a room in the gallery of Green Hall. Schvarts will wrap hundreds of feet of plastic sheeting around this cube; lined between layers of the sheeting will be the blood from Schvarts' self-induced miscarriages mixed with Vaseline in order to prevent the blood from drying and to extend the blood throughout the plastic sheeting.

Schvarts will then project recorded videos onto the four sides of the cube. These videos, captured on a VHS camcorder, will show her experiencing miscarriages in her bathrooom tub, she said. Similar videos will be projected onto the walls of the room.

School of Art lecturer Pia Lindman, Schvarts' senior-project advisor, could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Few people outside of Yale's undergraduate art department have heard about Shvarts' exhibition. Members of two campus abortion-activist groups Choose Life at Yale, a pro-life group, and the Reproductive Rights Action League of Yale, a pro-choice group said they were not previously aware of Schvarts' project.

Alice Buttrick '10, an officer of RALY, said the group was in no way involved with the art exhibition and had no official opinion on the matter.

Sara Rahman '09 said, in her opinion, Shvarts is abusing her constitutional right to do what she chooses with her body.

"[Shvarts' exhibit] turns what is a serious decision for women into an absurdism," Rahman said. "It discounts the gravity of the situation that is abortion."

CLAY member Jonathan Serrato '09 said he does not think CLAY has an official response to Schvarts' exhibition. But personally, Serrato said he found the concept of the senior art project "surprising" and unethical.

"I feel that she's manipulating life for the benefit of her art, and I definitely don't support it," Serrato said. "I think it's morally wrong."

Shvarts emphasized that she is not ashamed of her exhibition, and she has become increasingly comfortable discussing her miscarriage experiences with her peers.

"It was a private and personal endeavor, but also a transparent one for the most part," Shvarts said. "This isn't something I've been hiding."

The official reception for the Undergraduate Senior Art Show will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 25. The exhibition will be on public display from April 22 to May 1. The art exhibition is set to premiere alongside the projects of other art seniors this Tuesday, April 22 at the gallery of Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall on Chapel Street."

http://yaledailynews.com/story.html

She did this to 'inspire conversation and discourse' on abortion, because um yeah, theres not enough talk, opinion and information about this rare practice.

jonw9
04-17-08, 11:53 AM
Needs more man-on-man action, and bolding!

Bandoman
04-17-08, 11:55 AM
I think "Shvartz" should mean "induced miscarriage."

"Hey Suzy, I heard Brad got you preggers!"

"It's okay, I took a Shvartz last night. Let's party!"

melbatoast
04-17-08, 12:54 PM

Agreed.

What a f'n jackass this girl is! I can't believe it!

Dr Mabuse
04-17-08, 01:15 PM
that guy who freeze dried his stool and put it in a can?... his 'Artists Shit' goes for $50,000 a pop and is in some major museums...

shock value and gimmicks are the methods of the talentless hack... who simply cannot make art with the traditional methods...

if you can't mix colors on a palette and create something wonderful on canvas... take a chisel and make a sculpture... then you do something with Jesus or crap in a can, or something like this moron is doing...

the culture wars are making celebrities out of artists that history will soon forget... history is, after all, the only art critic worth listening to...

kvrdave
04-17-08, 01:21 PM
People (hippies) will call anything art. That generally means that they don't have any talent, but can think up stupid shit to do.

Rockmjd23
04-17-08, 01:36 PM
Give her government money, now!

Nifty03
04-17-08, 01:39 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/stussygirl_photos/hippies.jpg

TheNightFlier
04-17-08, 01:51 PM
Hopefully all those miscarriages will prevent her from spawning her own idiot children.

Mrs. Danger
04-17-08, 01:59 PM
Yah. So what is she going to do for her next exhibit?

Mrs. Danger
04-17-08, 02:01 PM
I will admit having been tempted to do something that will get me lots of free publicity...

maxfisher
04-17-08, 02:04 PM
Yah. So what is she going to do for her next exhibit?

Same basic thing, but wait on the miscarriages until they look like babies and then paint them in blackface. It'll be a startling exhibit that really forces people to realize that racism still exists.

Save Ferris
04-17-08, 02:08 PM
It really takes no talent to conjure up 'artistic ideas' that will provoke reactions out of people. Still, there is no shortage of these marketing types that try to one-up each other for $$$$$

Sean O'Hara
04-17-08, 02:15 PM
http://static.flickr.com/43/105481916_ed5fb1774d_o.jpg

Bronkster
04-17-08, 02:20 PM
I'm going to nail chihuahuas to an inverted cross to artistically show that PETA is the devil. Art is fun!

Save Ferris
04-17-08, 02:24 PM
{artist} :mad: Its not art when YOU do it!!! {artist}

Mrs. Danger
04-17-08, 02:25 PM
I've just been drawing elves being gang-raped by orcs.

Maybe I could make more of a splash by using the old-fashioned childlike elves.

wishbone
04-17-08, 02:36 PM
that guy who freeze dried his stool and put it in a can?... his 'Artists Shit' goes for $50,000 a pop and is in some major museums...

shock value and gimmicks are the methods of the talentless hack... who simply cannot make art with the traditional methods...

if you can't mix colors on a palette and create something wonderful on canvas... take a chisel and make a sculpture... then you do something with Jesus or crap in a can, or something like this moron is doing...

the culture wars are making celebrities out of artists that history will soon forget... history is, after all, the only art critic worth listening to...Here is a sculpture:

http://www.yale.edu/dimensions/sculpt1.jpg
Disarticulation. 12 in. x 12 in. x 24in. Plaster, vaseline, towels, rubber bands, latex gloves
http://www.yale.edu/dimensions/contact.html

Pic (http://soapboxevent.blogspot.com/) of the artiste.

AGuyNamedMike
04-17-08, 02:46 PM
Sigh.

Bless her heart.

Mrs. Danger
04-17-08, 03:03 PM
Let's bring back a word that has not been used enough in the Art world lately.

"Tacky"

Numanoid
04-17-08, 03:12 PM
I've just been drawing elves being gang-raped by orcs.

Maybe I could make more of a splash by using the old-fashioned childlike elves.
Let's bring back a word that has not been used enough in the Art world lately.

"Tacky"Were these supposed to be in the same post?

The Bus
04-17-08, 03:17 PM
Were these supposed to be in the same post?

I rate this a 7.8 on the Zing! scale.

(A Zing! this powerful is enough to debilitate small aircraft and cause severe skeletomuscular injuries in most mammals).

Rockmjd23
04-17-08, 03:21 PM
What about that guy who supposedly starved a dog to death and called it art? Snopes still has it as "undetermined."

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/vargas.asp

Save Ferris
04-17-08, 03:26 PM
The starving dog art has sparked conversation and emotion as well as causing awareness that starvation exists.

Art!

Mrs. Danger
04-17-08, 03:33 PM
I never said my art wasn't tacky. It's just that I know how to use tacky.

DRG
04-17-08, 03:36 PM
Here's another article with a picture of her...
http://jezebel.com/380897/yale-senior-undergoes-multiple-self+induced-miscarriages-in-the-name-of-art

Pretty much what I expected...

Rockmjd23
04-17-08, 03:46 PM
http://jezebel.com/380897/yale-senior-undergoes-multiple-self+induced-miscarriages-in-the-name-of-art
lol @ the comments. "Nice anti-establishment boots, bitch" :lol:

beesonosu
04-17-08, 03:54 PM
From DRG's link:
"I believe strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity," Shvarts tells the Yale Daily News. "I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."

I feel like Seth and Amy on Weekend Update: "Really? Really?"

Shoveler
04-17-08, 03:54 PM

Except it should be used as a verb, not a noun.

"It's okay, I Shvartzed last night. Let's party! I can always Schvartz again tomorrow if I have to!"

Shoveler
04-17-08, 03:55 PM
From DRG's link:
"I believe strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity," Shvarts tells the Yale Daily News. "I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."

I feel like Seth and Amy on Weekend Update: "Really? Really?"

And then Amy would reach down and pull out a bloody towel, hand it to Seth, and say "Oops! I just had a miscarraige, you can put it on your fridge, it's art!"

Sean O'Hara
04-17-08, 04:24 PM

http://jezebel.com/assets/resources/2008/04/alizashvarts41708.jpg

No wonder she had to use artificial insemination. Who'd wanna fuck a crazy bitch who looks like she's playing the annoying New Yawka in a bad '80s movie starring Andrew McCarthy.

mhg83
04-17-08, 04:31 PM
And then Amy would reach down and pull out a bloody towel, hand it to Seth, and say "Oops! I just had a miscarraige, you can put it on your fridge, it's art!"

LOL. We need you on the writing staff of SNL

Hank Ringworm
04-17-08, 10:36 PM
F.W. Ruckstull was a sculptor and art critic in the early 20th century. His books are hilarious. His criticisms can be as quaint as "This could only have been created by a lunatic Eskimo" and as damning as his critique of a Rodin sculpture: "A more or less vulgar, sensation-seeking 'stunt in the marble,'...an example of silly 'Art for Art's sake.'"

God, I wish the good man Ruckstull were alive today.

The cycle of art has been this: emphasis on beauty, emphasis on meaning, and, finally, emphasis on originality. Great art combines all three. Today's "art"--which is Ruckstull's "silly" taken to the next level--relies only on originality, and we all suffer for it.

In short, what a stupid bitch.

The Bus
04-17-08, 10:53 PM
BTW, it's not real:

http://www.yale.edu/opa/

Sean O'Hara
04-17-08, 11:02 PM
So she's not a crazy attention-grabbing whore, just a regular attention-grabbing whore.
Good to know.

Hank Ringworm
04-17-08, 11:07 PM
Most crazy, talentless assclowns would just write a short story.

Nick Danger
04-18-08, 06:23 AM
But another gross short story wouldn't have made her world famous.

Save Ferris
04-18-08, 08:34 AM
is she a marketing student or actually interested in art?

DJLinus
04-18-08, 09:11 AM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7241/spankpy9.gif

The only artist out there worth a damn is Spank.

Mrs. Danger
04-18-08, 09:28 AM
Hm. Her false press release presents her as a clueless freak.

She had better come up with a really good presentation if she wants a good grade.

Sean O'Hara
04-18-08, 01:56 PM
Huh? What? Who? (http://yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24530)

But in an interview later Thursday afternoon, Shvarts defended her work and called the University.s statement .ultimately inaccurate.. She reiterated that she engaged in the nine-month process she publicized on Wednesday in a press release that was first reported in the News: repeatedly using a needleless syringe to insert semen into herself, then taking abortifacient herbs at the end of her menstrual cycle to induce bleeding. Thursday evening, in a tour of her art studio, she shared with the News video footage she claimed depicted her attempts at self-induced miscarriages.

.No one can say with 100-percent certainty that anything in the piece did or did not happen,. Shvarts said, adding that she does not know whether she was ever pregnant. .The nature of the piece is that it did not consist of certainties..

Told of Shvarts. comments, the University fired back. In a statement issued just before midnight on Thursday, Klasky told the News that Shvarts had vowed that if the University revealed her admission, .she would deny it..

.Her denial is part of her performance,. Klasky wrote in an e-mail message. .We are disappointed that she would deliberately lie to the press in the name of art..

Maybe her art project is to raise questions about sanity and psychosis by confusing people about whether she's a crazy bitch or not.

melbatoast
04-18-08, 02:17 PM

rotfl Nice.

melbatoast
04-18-08, 02:19 PM
Huh? What? Who? (http://yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24530)

Maybe her art project is to raise questions about sanity and psychosis by confusing people about whether she's a crazy bitch or not.

Well I for one, am thoroughly confused!

Maybe we should hook her up with Art.

Mordred
04-18-08, 03:24 PM
BTW, it's not real:

http://www.yale.edu/opa/This is the first thing I've read about this story that I believe.

My Other Self
04-18-08, 03:34 PM
Anyone else besides me find this a little ironic?

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8328/adij1.jpg

Mrs. Danger
04-18-08, 05:13 PM
"Not any more!"

orderandlaw
04-18-08, 05:52 PM
Apparently she is still saying it was not a hoax or fiction. Her intent to impregnate and abort is clear. Here is the confession....

For the past year, I performed repeated self-induced miscarriages. I created a group of fabricators from volunteers who submitted to periodic STD screenings and agreed to their complete and permanent anonymity. From the 9th to the 15th day of my menstrual cycle, the fabricators would provide me with sperm samples, which I used to privately self-inseminate. Using a needleless syringe, I would inject the sperm near my cervix within 30 minutes of its collection, so as to insure the possibility of fertilization. On the 28th day of my cycle, I would ingest an abortifacient, after which I would experience cramps and heavy bleeding.

To protect myself and others, only I know the number of fabricators who participated, the frequency and accuracy with which I inseminated and the specific abortifacient I used. Because of these measures of privacy, the piece exists only in its telling. This telling can take textual, visual, spatial, temporal and performative forms . copies of copies of which there is no original.

This piece . in its textual and sculptural forms . is meant to call into question the relationship between form and function as they converge on the body. The artwork exists as the verbal narrative you see above, as an installation that will take place in Green Hall, as a time-based performance, as a independent concept, as a myth and as a public discourse.

It creates an ambiguity that isolates the locus of ontology to an act of readership. An intentional ambiguity pervades both the act and the objects I produced in relation to it. The performance exists only as I chose to represent it. For me, the most poignant aspect of this representation . the part most meaningful in terms of its political agenda (and, incidentally, the aspect that has not been discussed thus far) . is the impossibility of accurately identifying the resulting blood. Because the miscarriages coincide with the expected date of menstruation (the 28th day of my cycle), it remains ambiguous whether the there was ever a fertilized ovum or not. The reality of the pregnancy, both for myself and for the audience, is a matter of reading.

This ambivalence makes obvious how the act of identification or naming . the act of ascribing a word to something physical . is at its heart an ideological act, an act that literally has the power to construct bodies. In a sense, the act of conception occurs when the viewer assigns the term .miscarriage. or .period. to that blood.

In some sense, neither term is exactly accurate or inaccurate; the ambiguity is not merely a matter of context, but is embodied in the physicality of the object. This central ambiguity defies a clear definition of the act. The reality of miscarriage is very much a linguistic and political reality, an act of reading constructed by an act of naming . an authorial act.

It is the intention of this piece to destabilize the locus of that authorial act, and in doing so, reclaim it from the heteronormative structures that seek to naturalize it.

As an intervention into our normative understanding of .the real. and its accompanying politics of convention, this performance piece has numerous conceptual goals. The first is to assert that often, normative understandings of biological function are a mythology imposed on form. It is this mythology that creates the sexist, racist, ableist, nationalist and homophobic perspective, distinguishing what body parts are .meant. to do from their physical capability. The myth that a certain set of functions are .natural. (while all the other potential functions are .unnatural.) undermines that sense of capability, confining lifestyle choices to the bounds of normatively defined narratives.

Just as it is a myth that women are .meant. to be feminine and men masculine, that penises and vaginas are .meant. for penetrative heterosexual sex (or that mouths, anuses, breasts, feet or leather, silicone, vinyl, rubber, or metal implements are not .meant. for sex at all), it is a myth that ovaries and a uterus are .meant. to birth a child.

When considering my own bodily form, I recognize its potential as extending beyond its ability to participate in a normative function. While my organs are capable of engaging with the narrative of reproduction . the time-based linkage of discrete events from conception to birth . the realm of capability extends beyond the bounds of that specific narrative chain. These organs can do other things, can have other purposes, and it is the prerogative of every individual to acknowledge and explore this wide realm of capability.

Source (http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24559)

beesonosu
04-19-08, 01:36 AM
So many words and so little said.

Nick Danger
04-19-08, 05:42 AM
If only she'd said that the first time. Pompous artspeak makes every hoax better. For years to come, people with an axe to grind would be presenting her story as true. But coming out with that only after she'd already been debunked is just being whiny. You're busted: move on.