Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Two old women kill homeless men for $$$

trubiet
04-17-08, 09:54 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12870273/

LOS ANGELES - Police are investigating two women in their 70s who they believe hatched a scheme to offer two homeless men shelter, then collect more than $2 million in insurance policies after they were killed in hit-and-run crashes.

Police also believe the women may have committed the accidents and were befriending other men to set up more insurance policies.

“Anyone would think that even though they’re making financial gains for this, that they would leave the actual dirty work to someone else or hire someone,” police Detective Dennis Kilcoyne said. “We’re not so sure about that anymore. ... This is pretty evil.” Helen Golay, 75, and Olga Rutterschmidt, 72, were arrested Thursday for investigation of insurance fraud. They allegedly paid for the men to stay in apartments for as long as two years, police said. In exchange, police say, they obtained the victims’ signatures and opened more than a dozen life insurance policies that named the women as beneficiaries.

In the November 1999 and June 2005 hit-and-runs, both victims were struck in alleys in the early morning hours and no witnesses were found, police said. In both cases, Golay and Rutterschmidt came forward claiming to be relatives or fiancees of the men.

Preying and profiting’
“These women were preying and profiting from the most vulnerable victims of our society,” said Michael Ingram, a bureau chief with the state Department of Insurance.

LAPD / AP
Kenneth McDavid, top, and Paul Vados died in unexplained hit-and-run incidents.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golay and Rutterschmidt, described by authorities as longtime friends, appeared in federal court and were ordered held without bail. They were indicted on eight counts of mail fraud for making false insurance claims, said assistant U.S. attorney Jason Gonzalez. They face up to 160 years in prison if convicted of all counts, he said.

It was not immediately clear whether the women had defense attorneys. No one answered the door at Rutterschmidt’s apartment in Hollywood.

The Los Angeles Times said neigbors described her as tempermental. “If she was a sweet old lady, I'd say she was a sweet old lady,” said neighbor Glenn Spinola. “But what can you do?”

Golay’s daughter, Kecia Golay, strongly denied the accusations when interviewed by the Times.

“That’s just not what’s going on,” she told the newspaper. “I’m too sad to talk right now. ... We have a regular life.”

The Times said a neighbor described Golay as a friendly person who drove around in a Mercedes SUV with dealer plates and put her Santa Monica home on the market 18 months ago for $1.5 million.

“I can't believe she did anything,” said Cristyne Lawson. “She seems perfectly harmless.”

The women have not been charged in the men’s deaths, but Kilcoyne said authorities are “focusing our direction directly at Helen and Olga for the murder aspect of the investigation.”

Chance recollection
Police traffic investigators discovered the alleged scam when they were looking into a fatal hit-and-run accident last fall. One investigator mentioned the case of two women who had taken out large life insurance policies on 50-year-old Kenneth McDavid when another recalled working on a similar case in 1999, in which 73-year-old Paul Vados was killed.

When they compared notes, they found the beneficiaries in both cases were Golay and Rutterschmidt, and the victims were homeless men, police said. Investigators say the women filed $3.8 million in claims, and around $2.4 million was paid out before authorities contacted the insurance companies.

The Times said police placed the women under surveillance a few weeks ago but decided to arrest them Thursday after noticing the pair had met with several older men and had them sign documents.

Pretty crazy, I saw this on CNN this morning. You would think the homeless people would wonder why someone is taking out a life policy on them???

AGuyNamedMike
04-17-08, 09:58 AM
http://www.tigersweat.com/images/arsen03.jpg

melbatoast
04-17-08, 01:28 PM
Wow! Did they run out of money in between crimes so they figured they'd do it again? Crazy old bats.

What kind of sentence do you give a woman who is that old? Prison with the rest of the crazy bat-shit women?

lotsofdvds
04-17-08, 01:34 PM
What other reason is there to kill homeless men?

True_Story1011
04-17-08, 01:50 PM

I guess a man (or woman) cant make a living off the misfortunes of others like we used to... Its a sad day. :(

GIjon213
04-17-08, 02:00 PM
Obviously they watched Arsenic and Old Lace way too many times. It is those violent old classic movies that should be regulated!

jdodd
04-17-08, 02:02 PM
Um... The sheer, heart-pounding thrill of it? Duh?

Mrs. Danger
04-17-08, 03:30 PM
You get insurance on them to pay for deodorizing and exterminating the house after they either die of liver failure, or a tragic accident.

Shoveler
04-17-08, 05:06 PM
Preying and profiting’
“These women were preying and profiting from the most vulnerable victims of our society,” said Michael Ingram, a bureau chief with the state Department of Insurance.

Homeless men are the most vulnerable victims of our society?! What kind of moran do you have to be to run a bureau at the state Dept. of Insurance? I mean, sure, homeless men are probably more vulnerable than men with homes or apartments, but are they really more vulnerable than, say, teenage girls? Or abused children? Or elderly women who fall prey to scams? Seriously, with all due respect and sympathy to the homeless, this statement just blew me away.

gilbertr76
04-17-08, 06:18 PM
Is there a ceiling for the dollar amount for which one can insure a homeless man? Trying to decide if giving this scam a try would be worthwhile...

gilbertr76
04-17-08, 06:20 PM
Um... The sheer, heart-pounding thrill of it? Duh?
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFvKjIVb6HA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFvKjIVb6HA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

trubiet
04-18-08, 01:03 PM
Is there a ceiling for the dollar amount for which one can insure a homeless man? Trying to decide if giving this scam a try would be worthwhile...

I'm in for five bucks.

mrpayroll
07-15-08, 02:58 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-olgahelen16-2008jul16,0,5422268.story

Killers of 2 homeless men for insurance get life without parole

Helen Golay, 77, and Olga Rutterschmidt, 75, were convicted of luring men off the streets of Los Angeles whom they took care of for two years before running them over to collect claims.

By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
11:44 AM PDT, July 15, 2008

A Los Angeles judge today sentenced two women to life in prison without the possibility of parole for killing homeless men in a coldblooded years-long scheme for $2.8 million in life insurance money.

Helen Golay, 77, and Olga Rutterschmidt, 75, grabbed international headlines for their slow-motion murders of two homeless men they lured off the street, housed and cared for for two years, then ran over for life insurance claims. Prosecutors said the women were abusing a law that says insurers cannot contest life policies after two years.

The septuagenarian women were each convicted in April on two counts of murder and conspiracy to murder for financial gain in the killings of Kenneth McDavid, 50, and Paul Vados, 73. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty, a move experts said was because the elderly women would most likely die in prison during the lengthy appeals process.

Superior Court Judge David S. Wesley denied a motion for new trial filed by Roger Diamond, Golay's attorney, who alleged, among other things, misconduct by Rutterschmidt's attorney, Deputy Public Defender Michael Sklar.

In closing arguments, Sklar blamed the murders on Golay, saying the evidence clearly showed she was the mastermind and kept Rutterschmidt in the dark about her intention to run over the men. Diamond also shifted his defense to point the finger at Rutterschmidt, leaving the two women accusing each other.

In 1999, Vados, the first victim, was found dead in a Hollywood alley in an apparent hit-and-run accident, after which the women collected about $600,000 in insurance claims. Authorities got suspicious when the same two women claimed the body and profited from the 2005 death of McDavid, whose mangled body showed the same upper-body injuries as Vados.

Authorities found McDavid's DNA in the undercarriage of a 1999 Mercury Sable station wagon, which someone using Golay's auto club membership had towed on the night of McDavid's death in Westwood.

Golay, a Texas native who owns real estate in Santa Monica, and Rutterschmidt, a Hungarian immigrant who once owned a coffee shop with her husband, were initially arrested in 2006 for insurance fraud while prosecutors worked toward filing murder charges.

Prosecutors used as a key piece of evidence a surreptitiously recorded conversation between the two women on the day of their arrest, in which the two women discuss money and suing insurance companies, but not murder.

victoria.kim@latimes.com

Chris

wendersfan
07-15-08, 03:09 PM
Homeless men are the most vulnerable victims of our society?!All other things being equal, a homeless person is almost by definition more vulnerable than someone with a permanent place to live. Add to that the incidence of serious mental illness among the homeless, and you have a population that is certainly the most vulnerable population in our society.

Mrs. Danger
07-15-08, 03:53 PM
A life sentence? But, that could only be a few years! Injustice, I tell you!

RunBandoRun
07-15-08, 04:00 PM
I was going to make an "Arsenic and Old Lace" joke, but I see somebody beat me to it.

Mordred
07-15-08, 04:37 PM
All other things being equal, a homeless person is almost by definition more vulnerable than someone with a permanent place to live. Add to that the incidence of serious mental illness among the homeless, and you have a population that is certainly the most vulnerable population in our society.Complete and utter BS. To even compare homeless people to the real most vulnerable members of our society is a joke.

vRXgpR2lzo4

spainlinx0
07-15-08, 04:53 PM
It sucks when you try to read a punchline and it's a blocked youtube video. I'm not going to remember to check it out when I get home. :(

Mordred
07-15-08, 05:27 PM
It sucks when you try to read a punchline and it's a blocked youtube video. I'm not going to remember to check it out when I get home. :(Like most things I post it wasn't very funny. :(

Dr Mabuse
07-15-08, 05:49 PM
for old women?...

to help your roses grow and look great, and get their social security checks for money...