My Name is Earl -- "No Heads and a Duffel Bag" --4/17/2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Name is Earl -- "No Heads and a Duffel Bag" --4/17/2008

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
As Earl remains in a coma, his father (guest star Beau Bridges) confronts a duffel bag full of marijuana and Randy and Joy continue crossing items off the karma list.

Not minding Earl being in the coma so much. Actually a very clever way to keep Alyssa Milano on the show.
Old 04-17-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My new favorite show: The Hickeys

Not.
Old 04-17-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Not minding Earl being in the coma so much. Actually a very clever way to keep Alyssa Milano on the show.
Not this week

Average episode. I really like this show, but I wish it wasn't slipping consistently. Jail, and coma. Too many things affecting the premise of the show.
Old 04-17-08, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I enjoyed it.

Does anyone know who played the drug courier? He seems familiar.
Old 04-18-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
There was a nice moment after the drug dealer refers to Earl's dad as "dude."

Earl's Dad (Beau Bridges, brother of Jeff): Don't call me dude.

Drug Dealer: OK, take it easy Lebowski...
Old 04-18-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
There was a nice moment after the drug dealer refers to Earl's dad as "dude."

Earl's Dad (Beau Bridges, brother of Jeff): Don't call me dude.

Drug Dealer: OK, take it easy Lebowski...
Girlfriend didn't know why I was laughing had to explain it. I actually didn't like Lebowski but still a funny joke
Old 04-18-08, 05:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I enjoyed it.

Does anyone know who played the drug courier? He seems familiar.
Michael Peņa (Crash, World Trade Center)
Old 04-18-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought the main drug guy, Circus (not the courier) was pretty funny.
Old 04-18-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I loved the part when Randy told his parents that Earl was in a coma, after a month. And then they didn't even know he had been in jail.
Old 04-18-08, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I thought the main drug guy, Circus (not the courier) was pretty funny.
I screwed up. That's who Michael Peņa played. Not sure who the other guy is. He's one of those dudes whose in a lot of commericials.
Old 04-18-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Think I might have to argue with you there. The show seems to have decided that gimmicks and stunt casting is what's needed to keep them alive. I strongly disagree. It succeeded early on because it had good writing. Why the need to put Wonky McValtrex and the OCC dorks on the show? They don't add anything, and really distract from the storylines.

-jason
Old 04-18-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by fuzzbox
Think I might have to argue with you there. The show seems to have decided that gimmicks and stunt casting is what's needed to keep them alive. I strongly disagree. It succeeded early on because it had good writing. Why the need to put Wonky McValtrex and the OCC dorks on the show? They don't add anything, and really distract from the storylines.

-jason
I somewhat agree. The problem with the show is, just crossing things off the list would get boring and it would run out pretty quick. But, the coma and jail was a little much, but it did work. If they (writers) do it right, he gets out of the coma and it goes back to how season one was.
Old 04-18-08, 09:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
He played Circus -- I want to know who played the dude who dropped the duffel bag in the back of Earl's car.

Edit: Oops -- should have kept reading, since you figured that out. So does anyone know who played the drug courrier?
Old 04-18-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Man, I'm trying to understand where all the hate is coming from this season but I just don't get it. Every week, the dialogue is some of the most hillarious I've ever heard on TV. Maybe everyone needs to start recommending the other shows they're seeing that are so much funnier, so I can relate.
Old 04-18-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see putting Alyssa Milano on the show as "stunt casting." They gave a television actress a gig on a television show. She's not exactly A-list (less of a star than Jason Lee), and she may be a permanent, or long term cast addition.

I mean, it's not like Bruce Willis showing up on "Friends," where he's supposed to be some guy, but he's really just there to be Bruce Willis and plug a movie or something.

Paris Hilton was distracting, and I know those guys with the motorcycles are from another show, though.

I don't like the coma device. It's overused, and people don't usually go into lengthy comas and then recover like they do on television. And "Sopranos" was pretty much the last word in coma-dreams.
Old 04-18-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
I don't see putting Alyssa Milano on the show as "stunt casting." They gave a television actress a gig on a television show. She's not exactly A-list (less of a star than Jason Lee), and she may be a permanent, or long term cast addition.
and I don't consider her stunt casting either. She's like Tim Stack, a person that occasionally shows up and is part of the oddness of Camden County.

having Paris Hilton on the show to say "Thats Hot" 3 times, or the Teuteuls to have Dad yell is nothing BUT stunt casting. Because I never watch TV live and always skip commercials, I'd assume that those episodes were promoted as "Guest Starring **" weren't they?

It used to be that if someone guest starred on a TV show, they actually did something, but nowadays, apparently having a throwaway line or 2 of dialogue is enough to get a "Guest Starring" credit and commercial time.

-jason
Old 04-18-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Edit: Oops -- should have kept reading, since you figured that out. So does anyone know who played the drug courrier?
I thought it was Kevin Sussman (who I know from Wet Hot American Summer and some printer ink commercial that's running now), but "My Name Is Earl" is not listed on his IMDB page. Even the official synopsis doesn't list who played the role (although it does credit Michael Pena for his role). Weird.
Old 04-18-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For a while I thought maybe he was on a previous episode of Earl, but then my wife remembered him as one of Will Smith's clients in "Hitch."
Old 04-18-08, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I thought it was Kevin Sussman
Winner!

http://www.kevinsussman.com/
Old 04-18-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Sweet! What do I win?
Old 04-18-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Next Friday - played a gangsta
Old 04-18-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I actually think Earl should just wake up and go back to the list. The whole point of the show was the list, and since he "gave it up" the show hasn't been as good. And the list can give you any story line you really want anyways...
Old 04-18-08, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Thanks DJ Linus. Now if I could just figure out why he seemed so familiar to me.
Old 04-18-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I actually think Earl should just wake up and go back to the list. The whole point of the show was the list, and since he "gave it up" the show hasn't been as good. And the list can give you any story line you really want anyways...
This episode did feature the list. And so did last week's and the week before that as well. It also featured Earl awake in the best sort of way. I've always felt the best episodes feature Bad Earl, because the Bad Earl stuff tends to be funnier than Good Earl.
Old 04-19-08, 06:47 AM

Maybe it's the Hickeys or something, but this was our "last chance" episode. We were finally going to get rid of this show if this episode was anywhere near as bad as it's been. But, we actually got enough laughs this time to grant it a pardon for now...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.