Eli Stone -- "Soul Free" - 4/17/2008 Season Finale

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eli Stone -- "Soul Free" - 4/17/2008 Season Finale

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Eli goes in for an operation on his aneurysm, but it doesn't go as planned and Nathan is left with a difficult decision... a right-to-die case coincides with Eli undergoing risky surgery to remove his brain aneurysm and meeting God -- as played by George Michael.

George Michael IS a god.
Old 04-17-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait! Here's to hoping it gets renewed.
Old 04-17-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God is gay and cruises in park restrooms??
Old 04-17-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell yes He does.
Old 04-17-08, 08:30 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Kal-El
Can't wait! Here's to hoping it gets renewed.
... me too!
Old 04-17-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wonderful episode.

Spoiler:
The ending conversation with Dr. Chen and the Feeling Good musical number were beautifully done.

I hope there is a second season.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-17-08 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-17-08, 10:03 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
I'm glad it wasn't a cliffhanger. That would have been annoying.
Old 04-18-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episode.. and I'm glad there isn't a cliff hanger.

But, I do have a couple of questions.
How were they going to take him off 'life support' when he wasn't on life support? There wasn't any plug to pull.

And if this series is picked up.. how are they going to have Eli be Eli? They removed the aneurysm... I thought they were going to tell us that because of the complications, they weren't able to remove it.
Old 04-18-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
They removed the aneurysm... I thought they were going to tell us that because of the complications, they weren't able to remove it.
This is the point that reveals the legitimacy of his prophet status to the viewer. As someone pointed out last week, all it will take is one bad prediction to make may of the characters unbelievers. The viewer will always believe. That's just my spin on it.

I am sorry, although I like the premise, Eli Stone has way too heavy handed and corny dialog. For me to believe this show, I have to feel the characters are real people. The speeches are way too preachy and eloquent to be honest. The character development is much more like Grey's Anatomy than Everwood. If they would have applied Everwood's approach to honesty with the concept of a real prophet, I would be there in a heartbeat, but that isn't what Berlanti wants Eli Stone to be.

I still like a number of characters including Eli, Taylor, Nathan & Maggie, but everyone else seems like a cartoon character. Larger than life and spewing over wrought melodrama.

I doubt I will be back next season, so may not have to suffer my criticism of the show. Greys Anatomy suffered a similar fate.

Last edited by Ayre; 04-18-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope it returns, but I found the finale fairly annoying. It was trying so unbelievably hard to be clever, but just fell flat at most every turn. It didn't help that his motivations to get the surgery in the first place never rang true, outside of the need for dramatic tension for a television show. I did think Schiff and Brook were excellent in their guest roles, though.

das
Old 04-18-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
We have always assumed that the aneurysm caused the visions. But that isn't truly known. That's my take.

And this show is why networks need to figure out if they are going to renew a program or not. If this was a series finale, it could have been better. If this was a season finale, it could have been better. But if it is a finale where you don't know if it is just for the season or forever, this is about what you can do with the situation.

And that sucks.
Old 04-18-08, 10:36 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not as good as the preceding two episodes. But a better season/series finale than most shows come up with if they don't know if they're going to be renewed. Overall I found it a much more satisfying season than I would have anticipated.
Old 04-18-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
We have always assumed that the aneurysm caused the visions.
My take was that the acupuncturists role was to remind us weekly that the aneurysm was a smoke screen and it would be revealed that Eli was indeed a prophet. Everyone else (Including Eli) thought the visions were a symptom of the aneurysm. The viewer(me) and the acupuncturist have always believed he was a prophet.
Old 04-18-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by big whoppa
God is gay and cruises in park restrooms??
He moves in mysterious ways.
Old 04-18-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ayre
This is the point that reveals the legitimacy of his prophet status to the viewer. As someone pointed out last week, all it will take is one bad prediction to make may of the characters unbelievers. The viewer will always believe. That's just my spin on it.

I am sorry, although I like the premise, Eli Stone has way too heavy handed and corny dialog. For me to believe this show, I have to feel the characters are real people. The speeches are way too preachy and eloquent to be honest. The character development is much more like Grey's Anatomy than Everwood. If they would have applied Everwood's approach to honesty with the concept of a real prophet, I would be there in a heartbeat, but that isn't what Berlanti wants Eli Stone to be.

I still like a number of characters including Eli, Taylor, Nathan & Maggie, but everyone else seems like a cartoon character. Larger than life and spewing over wrought melodrama.

I doubt I will be back next season, so may not have to suffer my criticism of the show. Greys Anatomy suffered a similar fate.
Have faith. ( ) Everwood also had a little mysticism early on in the series. If you recall, the doctor had hallucinations of his wife and of her telling him things. The series grew quite a bit from the first season.
Old 04-18-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
I liked it, if there were a few holes in Eli's motivation.

But, they stuck Julie Gonzalo in an amazingly hot outfit for the last number, and then didn't give us a good look. Damn them!
Old 04-19-08, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode. I find myself liking this series with every episode.

As for Julie Gonzalo, I noticed the same thing at the end. I was hoping for a better look, especially with those beat me boots on
Old 04-19-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Great episode. I find myself liking this series with every episode.

As for Julie Gonzalo, I noticed the same thing at the end. I was hoping for a better look, especially with those beat me boots on
Hell yeah, even a freeze fame in HD wasn't good enough. I need UHQ pics, dammit. ;D
Old 04-19-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it wasn't a grand finale but it was good. The show was out of sequence which was confusing. Maybe because it was a stream of consciousness as Eli was lying there during and post surgery. Or maybe Eli was seeing the future again because perhaps getting partnership hasn't actually happened. I was lead to believe Weathersby and Taylor had only talked about pro bono work and Eli's partnership.

This episode had to do with life and death. It would be hard not to be a little preachy. I like it that way.

There are more ideas they can explore with Eli for another season. And I also believe the aneurysm is just a smokescreen too.

ABC better renew Eli or I'll have to send them some George Michael CD's.
Old 04-19-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
ABC better renew Eli or I'll have to send them some George Michael CD's.

I think the solution is for one of us to become as rich as Bill Gates. Then we can afford to sponsor series that we just want to see. A sound investment. Now I just need some money.....but there's tv on.