Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Zappa Plays Zappa -----> April 29th

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zappa Plays Zappa -----> April 29th

Not sure how many Frank Zappa fans there are but a DVD release of Zappa Plays Zappa, which is Dweezil Zappa and others covering his fathers music. I've found three different versions/listings and haven't been able to find out too much outside of the track listing.

First is listed as a 2-disc set. Amazon says it's "Amaray". I guess that refers to the case:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...dvdpricesearch

Next, I found a cheaper version of it called the "Brilliant Box". Haven't found any differences on this and the 2-disc set:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...dvdpricesearch

Last but not least is what Amazon is calling the "Fan Pak". The artwork states it has 5 discs but I've only been able to figure out from a Barnes and Noble link that it contains the 2 DVDs, and an extra audio CD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XHXS5SP370W08F

Barnes and Noble has this:

In 2006, two Zappa Plays Zappa shows were pristinely filmed and recorded (in Portland, OR and Seattle, WA, respectively) to capture the experience. The result is a double-DVD set with a 12-track bonus audio CD. Produced by Pierre and Francois Lamoureaux for Strobosonic, the DVDs feature over three hours of performances of Dweezil's rocking teenage combo, including previous 2006 tour special guests: Steve Vai, Napoleon Murphy Brock and Terry Bozzio.

The Zappa Plays Zappa DVD contains the following songs:
1. Andy 2. Call Any Vegetable 3. Tell Me You Love Me 4. Florentine Pogen 5. Cosmik Debris 6. I'm The Slime 7. Pound For A Brown 8. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow 9. St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast 10. Father O'Blivion 11. Inca Roads 12. Eat That Question 13. I'm So Cute 14. Tryin�'To Grow A Chin Punky's Whips

Zappa Plays ZappaDVD DISC TWO:
1.Black Page #1 2. Black Page #2 3. Regyptian Strut 4. Peaches En Regalia 5. Montana 6. Village Of The Sun 7. Echidna's Arf (Of You) 8. Zomby Woof 9. Back Napkins 10.The Torture Never Stops 11. Oh No 12. Son Of Orange County 13. Trouble Every Day 14. Sofa 15. Cheepnis* (*bonus track not listed on package)

Zappa Plays Zappa AUDIO CD 1. Tell Me You Love Me 2. Florentine Pogen 3. Cheepnis 4. Cosmik Debris 5. �m The Same 6.Don't Eat The Yellow Snow 7. St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast 8.Father O'Blivion 9. Black Page #2 10.Peaches En Regalia 11. Zomby Woof 12. The Torture Never Stops From the Studio

So that's that for now, unless anyone else can find out more.

There's a trailer on their official site: http://www.zappa.com/zpz/

It also states it as being "Now Available" but the page says it isn't available when you click on it.
Old 04-17-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Just to let everybody know, this is Dweezil and musicians from Frank Zappas past, not just Dweezil and some random people he put together. I've heard a couple of these shows and they are amazing. Can't Wait.
Old 05-14-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey did you get this set? I'm so confused by the different versions. I'm guessing that there's just a 2 DVD set and then a 2 DVD + 1 CD set.
Old 05-15-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Its going to be on my next Amazon order. I think I will go with the 2 disc + CD