DVD Talk
Friends With Benefits. It's Good? Bad? News story can't tell. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Friends With Benefits. It's Good? Bad? News story can't tell.

lotsofdvds
04-15-08, 08:04 AM
I couldn't help but to be amused by this news story about college kids having the dirty sex with their friends. The story kinda wants to make you think this is shocking, but it can't figure out how to make it shocking. So there are some stats, and some interviews, but ultimately no point whatsoever.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vh4lNs3Bths&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vh4lNs3Bths&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Bus
04-15-08, 08:26 AM
So there are some stats, and some interviews, but ultimately no point whatsoever.

Wow, you can really sell your threads. :)

lotsofdvds
04-15-08, 08:29 AM
Wow, you can really sell your threads. :)
Well... one girl says "booty call" on the news.

Th0r S1mpson
04-15-08, 08:42 AM
They cover both the good and the bad. What is your point again?

John Galt
04-15-08, 08:56 AM
I like how they consider lack of commitment both a good and bad thing.

lotsofdvds
04-15-08, 08:56 AM
They cover both the good and the bad. What is your point again?
Boobies.

Bacon
04-15-08, 09:08 AM
Florida -ohbfrank-

dieinafire
04-15-08, 09:11 AM
This is news? I thought everyone knew, or participated in this. I've always been a fan.

4KRG
04-15-08, 10:39 AM
Imagine that, casual sex is common among young people, who would have ever thought...

Walker Boh
04-15-08, 10:55 AM
"125 students were asked about the advantages of having a friends-with-benefits relationship. The list included no commitment, the ability to have sex, trust between the partners, being able to stay single, no commitment, and becoming closer."

CKMorpheus
04-15-08, 11:20 AM
friends with benefits = :thumbsup:

grrrah
04-15-08, 11:29 AM
from my experience, acquaintences with benefits works much better than friends with benefits.

The less "friend" stuff you do together, the better!

Shannon Nutt
04-15-08, 11:30 AM
This is all I need...another reminder that I totally picked the wrong college to attend. :(

grrrah
04-15-08, 11:30 AM
"125 students were asked about the advantages of having a friends-with-benefits relationship. The list included no commitment, the ability to have sex, trust between the partners, being able to stay single, no commitment, and becoming closer."

The list included no commitment(guy), the ability to have sex(both), trust between the partners(girl), being able to stay single(guy), no commitment(guy), and becoming closer(girl)."

Raul3
04-15-08, 11:37 AM
Don't believe the hype, you can't have sex with your female friends. Women always forget the rules and want more than sex.
Or worst yet, you can fall in love...

Now, acquaintances with benefits, that's a good thing, just don't become friends.

melbatoast
04-15-08, 11:51 AM
What a strange news story.

dieinafire
04-15-08, 12:03 PM
from my experience, acquaintences with benefits works much better than friends with benefits.

Bingo, I like it better that way also. Almost all the chicks that I get, I hardly know them. I got one right now, and it's cool because her place is on my way home from work, and I can just get off the train 2 stops early, stop by, do it, then be on my merry way.

NotThatGuy
04-15-08, 01:44 PM
FWB is generally a great situation!! What's not to like:

1. You have sex
2. You don't need to do 'couples' things
3. You can just say no

Win / Win / Win

I mean, they don't tend to be healthy, long-lasting (most), or end well....but the sex tends to be great!

John Galt
04-15-08, 02:24 PM
4. You don't have to spend money "dating"

NIMH Rat
04-15-08, 02:43 PM
I honestly think people under 21 have no idea how to have relationships and they think they're having FWB when they're actually in a relationship, and vice versa.

And older people are jealous!

I think the point of the story is that nobody has a clue.

dieinafire
04-15-08, 02:48 PM
I honestly think people under 21 have no idea how to have relationships and they think they're having FWB when they're actually in a relationship, and vice versa.

And older people are jealous!

I think the point of the story is that nobody has a clue.

Not necessarily, when I was that age, I knew that any girl I was hooking up with was not serious in anyway, and they knew that too. It was just drunken sex, after a party, or the bars. I've been in plenty of relationships also, so I can tell the difference.

mndtrp
04-15-08, 05:21 PM

I agree.

kvrdave
04-15-08, 05:48 PM
I don't think I could do it, personally. My wife wouldn't understand.

Nick Danger
04-15-08, 06:49 PM
I don't think I could do it, personally. My wife wouldn't understand.

Have you asked? You might be surprised.

jw2299
04-15-08, 06:55 PM
I thought for 5 minutes about how to make a funny snarky comment, but nothing I can say does it justice.

Check out these wrist-rolls!

http://angryj.googlepages.com/chunkyhand.jpg

NotThatGuy
04-15-08, 07:22 PM
http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/imagesuse-20condoms.jpg

DVD Polizei
04-15-08, 07:50 PM

I'd also like to add:

no commitment

NIMH Rat
04-15-08, 09:11 PM
Not necessarily, when I was that age, I knew that any girl I was hooking up with was not serious in anyway, and they knew that too. It was just drunken sex, after a party, or the bars. I've been in plenty of relationships also, so I can tell the difference.

Oh drunken sex is totally different. I don't even think of that as FWB. Is that what they're calling FWB these days? Good lord. I guess at a time when blowjobs aren't even considered sexual activity you can pretty much rewrite anything!