Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Has Anyone Broken the Side Mirror Off Their Car?

The Monkees
04-12-08, 10:18 PM
I have a Ford Focus, and today as I was pulling out of my garage, I smashed into the side and for the most part ripped the side mirror off my car (the passenger side). It mostly ripped it off the car, broke the mirror to pieces and destroyed the back of the whole mirror. It's now hanging off the car by the electric cord or whatever that controls the mirror.

My question is, if this has happened to anyone and they have taken their car in to get fixed approximently how much did it cost and did it take more than one day? I need to know cause I kind of need my car for work and school.

THANKS!

Deadman31
04-12-08, 10:32 PM
I broke my wife's mirror off 4 years ago and just superglued it back on. It is still standing.

The Cow
04-12-08, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I had a side mirror gone on my Chevy Blazer. I picked up a replacement from a website for about $50. It was very easy to replace. It's a plug and play with some screws.

From a dealer, it's probably gonna go in the $300 range. I doubt it will take them more than a day to replace it, but they will most likely have to order the part, so you will have to wait on that.

I'll look for the link I got mine from, but it's not hard, just do a google search on your make/model/year and mirror.

Took me about 15 minutes to replace after I got the part, and I am slow.

Jacoby Ellsbury
04-12-08, 10:38 PM
About $80 in parts and did it myself.

EdTheRipper
04-12-08, 10:48 PM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&maxrecordsreturned=300&frpp=50&satitle=ford+focus+side+mirror+passenger&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=ford+focus+side+mirror+passenger&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=02895&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fgtp=

chino77
04-12-08, 10:50 PM
I need to know cause I kind of need my car for work and school.

THANKS!

i dont think you legally have to have a passenger side mirror i could be wrong though.

The Cow
04-12-08, 10:51 PM
And there you go with the eBay link :up: . Spend the 30 bucks and 15 minutes, or go to the dealer for $300+.

The Cow
04-12-08, 10:53 PM
i dont think you legally have to have a passenger side mirror i could be wrong though.
He's asking for time in the shop because he needs to get around, not legalities.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong on that assumption.

EdTheRipper
04-12-08, 10:55 PM

From what I can see, you're correct. Speaking from experience though, I'd rather drive with a mirror on each side as opposed to just the one. Having to physically turn to check the blind spots really sucks.

The Monkees
04-12-08, 10:56 PM
Well actually if I don't legally need a passenger side mirror it will make me feel better about driving around without one. I'll have to try and find a replacement mirror instead.

Heat
04-12-08, 11:59 PM
I have replaced both side mirrors on my '99 Accord, MSRP for them was about $200 though I was able to pick them up online for about $160 after shipping. It is a power mirror, and bendable, which made it a little more expensive. The first one was snapped off at the base after a mailbox jumped in front of my car (barely missed running it over!), the second one was because the side mirror became wobbly, I think somebody smacked it in a parking lot.

Take a look on the inside of your car, opposite of where the mirror is. Chances are there's a triangular piece of trim with three bolts under it. Undo the bolts and the side mirror will come right off. Just put the new side mirror on, put the nuts back onto the bolts, and it's on. Five minutes, tops. Assuming it's a power mirror, you'll have to plug it in. On my Accord, that meant taking the door panel off since the connection was behind it. If your side mirror is not power, definately do it yourself. If it is power, still do it yourself but buy a Haynes manual first (about $16 at Pepboys, Autozone, etc). The Haynes manual will tell you exactly what you need to do.

The Monkees
04-13-08, 02:40 AM
I'm not going to get around to doing this until sometime later this week. My next question is, since the remainder of the mirror is hanging off the car, will that have any effect on the wiring if it's raining, cause it's raining in Chicago.

RaMMaR
04-13-08, 05:50 AM
i accidentally broke the driver's side mirror of my mom's car - she let me borrow it while i waited for my car to arrive at the dealership. i ordered a replacement online ~$60 and had it color matched at Maaco. The included installation instructions were easy to follow and had it on in no time at all. As for the wiring and weather concerns, i'd cover the whole thing with a plastic bag and duct tape.

GatorDeb
04-13-08, 07:49 AM
Somebody sideswiped me (we both merged at the same time, so we each went our own way) and broke the mirror and dented the door. Mechanically it's fine, it's just cosmetic. Because of this thread I just bought a mirror for $60 shipped, and I found a door for $500. The dealer gave me an estimate of $1200. Where can I find someone to install the door? Tips? I probably won't be able to do it myself. I figure a paint job on just the door will be much less than $600.

dieinafire
04-13-08, 08:53 AM

In MA, you can't pass your inspection without a passenger mirror, and you could be pulled over for a violation. The chances are almost zero, but that could give a cop a reason to pull you over at 3 AM if they chose to.

P.S. I lost mine once when I was driving down a tiny back road, and a huge 18 wheeler was coming the other way, and pretty much forced me off the road, and I tagged some mailbox. The fucked up thing was the mailbox was fine, but my mirror was destroyed. I waited almost 9 months to fix it, and I did only so I could pass inspection.

Dr Mabuse
04-13-08, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I had a side mirror gone on my Chevy Blazer. I picked up a replacement from a website for about $50. It was very easy to replace. It's a plug and play with some screws.

From a dealer, it's probably gonna go in the $300 range. I doubt it will take them more than a day to replace it, but they will most likely have to order the part, so you will have to wait on that.

that's a very accurate estimation...

to have the exact color match Toyota replacement side mirror ordered(you use the VIN to get the exact match with Toyota) and have it installed was $270...

the mirrors are designed to 'pop off' like that to prevent expensive damage to the door metal and frame...

RandyC
04-13-08, 01:35 PM
I have a Ford Focus, and today as I was pulling out of my garage, I smashed into the side and for the most part ripped the side mirror off my car (the passenger side). It mostly ripped it off the car, broke the mirror to pieces and destroyed the back of the whole mirror. It's now hanging off the car by the electric cord or whatever that controls the mirror.

My question is, if this has happened to anyone and they have taken their car in to get fixed approximently how much did it cost and did it take more than one day? I need to know cause I kind of need my car for work and school.

THANKS!

Backing out of the garage is collision coverage on your insurance and you will probably not meet the deductible. If someone had driven by your car and hit the mirror with a bat, knocking it off, that is vandalism and typically covered (at least by your comprehensive). Just for future FYI.

I have replaced 5 mirrors. Toyota MR2 $110. Sebring $60 off EBAY. Mercedes $500. It should be pretty easy to do. The rain should not matter to the wiring but you can tape it up if you want. If it was me, I would unplug the wires from the broken mirror and remove the mirror from the car.

If you did pay someone to do this, it is a 30 minute job if they take their time.

story
04-13-08, 02:20 PM
Happened to me. Duct taped it back on. Took it to dad's shop. It came back out good as new. What happened in that shop? Coulda been magic, I have no clue.

Mankal
04-14-08, 09:28 AM
Happenned to me, took it to a car shop and they put this thick black glue (looks like asphalt, all around it and fixed it for 25 bucks

speedy1961
04-14-08, 11:33 AM

THANKS!

My car was parked out on the street when another sidewiped the mirror off.

Called a local junk yard and found one for $15. I didn't know how to install it so I asked them to do it for $40 and 30 minutes later it was done.

drmoze
04-14-08, 11:43 AM
Highly disappointed that no illustrative video has been posted yet. :sad:

mndtrp
04-14-08, 06:50 PM

THANKS!
When I met my girlfriend, her Focus was missing a mirror. She picked a new one up from Checker (I think), and I replaced it in about 30 min. I know very little about cars, and I was able to figure it out.

Pop off the plastic cover inside of your car, unscrew the bolts, reverse process with the new mirror.

ben12
04-14-08, 07:01 PM
From what I can see, you're correct. Speaking from experience though, I'd rather drive with a mirror on each side as opposed to just the one. Having to physically turn to check the blind spots really sucks.
I think the point of the term "blind spot" is that it's a spot you can't see in your mirrors. So you should still turn around no matter what.