Creating a new website related to TV shows edits on DVD...feedback wanted

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-10-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I was sitting around my desk the other day and I was thinking about some recent TV shows I bought on DVD. I was thinking about how much a song plays in the role of the show and when it is altered on the DVD release, how the entire mood could change.

Problem is, there isn't really a location to knows this before you buy it. For instance, the list on tvshowsondvd.com is good, but there are two problems with it:

1. It has been updated in a while
2. There is really no way to confirm if something has changed...most of them are by the fans and they can be totally off.

My idea follows the tvshowsondvd model somewhat. Here are some of the ideas I am working with:

Obviously I would not be able to do every single show myself, so I would rely on users to help me out or point me to stuff I may have missed.

Again, this is just an idea I am running with, so if anyone has any feedback, suggestions, or wants to help, by all means post it here. My goal is to have a single location that DVD fans, regular consumers, or anyone new to the medium can look for solid and reliable information to them make an informed decision about their purchase and not get stuck with something they didn't want in the first place.

-Mods, if I posted this in the wrong spot, please place it in the correct one
    Old 04-10-08, 03:49 PM
    Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
    Good idea. I won't be able to directly help, as my mind doesn't remember things like what songs are in shows, and they could edit the crap out of every thing I buy and I would rarely remember. Just the way my memory (doesn't) work.

But off the top of my head, I think your best resource will be fan sites devoted to individual shows. Most shows have at least one obsessed fan with a web site detailing every aspect of you show you could imagine.
    Old 04-10-08, 03:49 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
    Originally Posted by macnorton
    2. There is really no way to confirm if something has changed...most of them are by the fans and they can be totally off.

Obviously I would not be able to do every single show myself, so I would rely on users to help me out or point me to stuff I may have missed.
    So, whats different? Not trying to be rude, just curious. As soon as I saw the title of the thread, I thought of the section on TVshows.com. I think it would be hard to compete with that site. I mean just ask TV Guide

I'm thinking bandwidth would be huge too, if your uploading clips to show the difference. Maybe Youtube links?
    Old 04-10-08, 04:47 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts
    I think a chart format with scenes and song titles for (TV v DVD) would work well.

Also, depending on how it goes over with the admins, I think it would be a nice resource to add to this site. DVDTalk Database or something to that effect.
    Old 04-10-08, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by macnorton
    Comparisons of what is missing...meaning users can upload a clip of how it aired on TV and what it is on the DVD (legally speaking, if this is an educational website, which it would be, there should be no issue. Of course there would be guidelines on what can be posted and so forth)
    I would do a lot of research on this one before implementing it. I'm not so sure that the owners of the programs and/or songs would consider it "educational".
    Old 04-10-08, 09:59 PM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    To be honest, I would say start a thread here on DVDTalk. You can continually update the first thread with a compilation of everyones additions, and believe me, you will not have any problem finding people to help contribute. I know of probably 5-10 just off the top of my head and I know right where some of the detailed lists are of the cuts.

I understand you want to expand it above the bounds of what would be possible with a thread here, but maybe keep a summary thread here that points to your website too? I may be in the minority, but I don't venture out too much for DVD related news beyond this site. To me DVDTalk.com is pretty much a one stop shop.
    Old 04-10-08, 10:01 PM

It's not just song titles. There have been instances of scenes changed in tv show releases due to concerns by the creators. Due South had scenes in its finale episode (when it originally aired on CTV here in Canada) that never made it to DVD. A number of scenes in the first season of "24" that were broadcast on A&E never appeared on the DVD release (but that will probably be rectified by the Special Edition release).
    Old 04-11-08, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
    So, whats different? Not trying to be rude, just curious. As soon as I saw the title of the thread, I thought of the section on TVshows.com. I think it would be hard to compete with that site. I mean just ask TV Guide

I'm thinking bandwidth would be huge too, if your uploading clips to show the difference. Maybe Youtube links?
    Good catch, I worded this wrong. I mean there is no way to confirm everything on a fansite or other website without assistance from others and a visual/audio comparison.

Bandwidth could be an issue, and Youtube could be useful, only problem is, things get taken down quickly...hence the possibility of hosting it myself. But theoretically, we are only talking short clips for comparison, so it would probably be a few megs for each one.
    Old 04-11-08, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Numes
    To be honest, I would say start a thread here on DVDTalk. You can continually update the first thread with a compilation of everyones additions, and believe me, you will not have any problem finding people to help contribute. I know of probably 5-10 just off the top of my head and I know right where some of the detailed lists are of the cuts.

I understand you want to expand it above the bounds of what would be possible with a thread here, but maybe keep a summary thread here that points to your website too? I may be in the minority, but I don't venture out too much for DVD related news beyond this site. To me DVDTalk.com is pretty much a one stop shop.
    That is also something I am considering. I was thinking in the sense that, ok here is the thread for the changes and here is a website to see the comparisons.
    Old 04-11-08, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by David Levine
    I would do a lot of research on this one before implementing it. I'm not so sure that the owners of the programs and/or songs would consider it "educational".
    I have, and I spoke with an attorney. As long as I am not infringing copyrights, I should be fine. It would be much like who fanedit.org runs. Users would not be able to download anything and the only way a video would be allowed up is if it corresonds to something listed on the site.

For instance, if Criminal Minds is something in question, then that would work. If you want to post your favorite Family Guy clip, that won't. There would be an approval process, the video would be scanned and checked before it could go up. Avoids a lot of issues later. If if anyone doesn't follow the rules, the user/IP address gets banned and we all move on.
    Old 04-11-08, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
    I think a chart format with scenes and song titles for (TV v DVD) would work well.

Also, depending on how it goes over with the admins, I think it would be a nice resource to add to this site. DVDTalk Database or something to that effect.
    Another excellent idea. Again a lot of leg works needs to be done first, but that could work as well.
    Old 04-11-08, 09:57 AM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a list somewhere that does this now, with just text info on whats different or even a list of the shows that have been edited? I had never considered that the DVDs were different.