DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

how to remove scratches from a dvd

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
how to remove scratches from a dvd

Will this actually work?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vE1gvaM3iAs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vE1gvaM3iAs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I haven't tried it out but it looks like it would do worse damage to the disc. The toothpaste method does work. I had a scratched ps1 cd that wouldn't work. So i put toothpaste all on the shiny side and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then you wash the toothpaste off with warm water and dry it with a soft cloth. Now my game plays fine. I'm guessing it would also work with a dvd since its all a disc format. Has anyone tried it out on a dvd?
Old 04-09-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I recommend this unit. Works well for me.
Old 04-09-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
That's what I have and it works really well. I even nearly restored an Elvis CD I found on the side of the road with all kinds of pits in it from being run over. Pretty amazing!
Old 04-09-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I told an eBay customer of mine to boil the DVD...

It will not literally remove any scratches, but it'll clean it up for you to keep it from skipping or anything like that.

Last edited by Brent L; 04-09-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Do you happen to know if the pads/ cleaning agents in it are any different than the Memorex OptiFix Pro? I just bought it yesterday and tried it out on my worst dvd (thanks to my 2 year old). The alcohol based cleaner predictably worked well, but the aluminum oxide repair gel didn't do much of anything. I was under the impression it would actually buff out the scratches, but it didn't even do anything to the faintest ones. After 4 repair/cleaning passes, it did make it so that the dvd started up, but it still skipped in spots so I wouldn't call that a success. If all of these units use the same pad/compounds, I definitely need something more effective.
Old 04-09-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
^Sorry, I have no idea, but I imagine no amount of buffing will fix a severely damaged disc.
Old 04-09-08, 09:05 PM

Before trying that youtube method, be sure to look at his other videos - looks like another Infinite Solutions

While it probably wont help, I've heard the Simotech repair machine works REAL good, but it is an 'online only' type import item and costs about $130.

I went for the DSR-1 by maxell recently and while it does work good on smaller scratches, larger ones cant be repaired. Even the buffing machines in stores won't take care of those though.
Old 04-10-08, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've found that a dab of car polish, left to dry for a minute then buffed clean does the trick.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 04-10-08 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 06:14 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Old 04-10-08, 07:58 AM
Cool New Member

I use the Skip-Away (http://www.venmill.com/products/skipaway.asp). It's insanely expensive, but I have kids who can't seem to figure out how to put the DVDs and games back in the cases when they're through. So far, I've repaired a few hundred dollars worth of discs. In another year, it may have paid for itself.

Last edited by billolmesdahl; 04-10-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I have one of those wax pencils that I got out of a catalog - you can use them both on CD's and DVDs. You just "write" on the scratches and then wipe it off with a kleenex. The wax stays in the scratches.

I've used it mostly on my Netflix DVDs, since my personal ones I take care of and don't let get scratched.
Old 04-11-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried boiling a CD the other day, it came out worse.

Before, I could access about half of the MP3's on the disc. After boiling, it showed an empty folder, no files, but when I went to "My Computer" it said there were 432 MB used on the disc.

Frustrating.

I'll have to remember the toothpaste and wax pencil tricks.