Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Ring of Honor: Stars of Honor'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of Ring of Honor: Stars of Honor at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32847 and...

Thanks for giving a great review. got a question though, are the enterences on there, are they cut. If they're cut, i'd assume its due to music rights.
And i know you said that blood and guts matches aren't your thing, but can you review it anyways if you have the dvd?
Also, i believe the first few matches have new commentary.
Old 04-06-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of Ring of Honor: Stars of Honor at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=32847 and...

Thanks for giving a great review. got a question though, are the enterences on there, are they cut. If they're cut, i'd assume its due to music rights.
And i know you said that blood and guts matches aren't your thing, but can you review it anyways if you have the dvd?
Also, i believe the first few matches have new commentary.
Thanks for the kind words, Rypro.

Per your first question, yes, the entrances were cut. I noticed this right away and planned to mention it in the review, but it must've slipped my mind.

As for "Bloodstained Honor", we had a copy or two in the review queue, but I only requested "Stars of Honor". If nobody jumps on it in the next few days, I'll request it and take a look.

As far as the new commentary goes, I don't believe they specifically mentioned if they were new during the matches, but that's interesting. Was there no commentary recorded the first time around?
Old 04-06-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Thanks for the kind words, Rypro.

Per your first question, yes, the entrances were cut. I noticed this right away and planned to mention it in the review, but it must've slipped my mind.

As for "Bloodstained Honor", we had a copy or two in the review queue, but I only requested "Stars of Honor". If nobody jumps on it in the next few days, I'll request it and take a look.

As far as the new commentary goes, I don't believe they specifically mentioned if they were new during the matches, but that's interesting. Was there no commentary recorded the first time around?
the stuff from 04 and a few early 05 matches were origianlly done by Jimmy Bower aka roh booker Gabe Sapolsky's alter ego and another guy who's name escapes me. The audio quality on the older releases wasn't really that good, and i think most fans hated the old commentary anyways, hense redoing it.
Old 04-06-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

the stuff from 04 and a few early 05 matches were origianlly done by Jimmy Bower aka roh booker Gabe Sapolsky's alter ego and another guy who's name escapes me. The audio quality on the older releases wasn't really that good, and i think most fans hated the old commentary anyways, hense redoing it.
Good to know. Just for the record, I requested "Bloodstained Honor" and will review it in the next week or so. There were actually two copies still available, so it doesn't look like many DVD Talk reviewers are ROH fans. Lucky for me.
Old 04-07-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Prob, most have never heard of it. Also, if you don't already have them, i'd highly recommend getting both "World Title Classic" and "Joe vs. Punk II" for the first 2 Samoa Joe vs CM Punk matches. You can really see how they play off of the first 2 matches in the third match on this dvd. The second one got 5 stars by Dave Meltzer which is very rare in the US. The roh site also has a 25% off sale currently going, so you can get both for 15 bucks a piece.
Old 04-07-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Prob, most have never heard of it. Also, if you don't already have them, i'd highly recommend getting both "World Title Classic" and "Joe vs. Punk II" for the first 2 Samoa Joe vs CM Punk matches. You can really see how they play off of the first 2 matches in the third match on this dvd. The second one got 5 stars by Dave Meltzer which is very rare in the US. The roh site also has a 25% off sale currently going, so you can get both for 15 bucks a piece.
Yep, well aware of the sale...I'm on their mailing list. Thanks for the recommendations, by the way. Most of my ROH stuff is from 3-4 years back, so I probably need to catch up a bit.
Old 04-08-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

eh, if i had to make say 5 recomendations
Death Before Dishonor III for Punk's "final" match in roh, where you can see why he's a better heel.
Better Then Our Best contains Bryan Danielson vs Lance Storm and the finale of the Cabanna vs Homicide feud featured on the 'bloodstained' dvd
Glory By Honor V Night 2 consitered the best show in roh history by many
Good Times Great Memories contaians Colt Cabanna's final roh match, and a classic between the Motor City Machine Guns of Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin vs the Briscoe Brothers
and finally
Driven, plus you get to see my goofball mug for 2 seconds during the main event.
Old 04-08-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Cool, thanks.