Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

OOP Criterions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOP Criterions

Since I was too lazy to search through the forums, I was just wondering if there is a site that lists what Criterion discs are OOP. I checked Criterion.com but couldn't come up with anything.
Old 04-01-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From The Criterion Forum:

Q. What Criterion titles are out of print and why?

A. The currently out of print titles are: The Bank Dick, Blood for Dracula, Dead Ringers, Flesh for Frankenstein, Hard Boiled, The Harder They Come, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, The Killer, Notorious, Rebecca, RoboCop, Salò, Sid & Nancy, The Silence of the Lambs, Spellbound, Straw Dogs, This is Spinal Tap, Tokyo Olympiad, and The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
Old 04-01-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also OOP:

-Le Corbeau
-Port of Shadows
-Variety Lights
Old 04-01-08, 09:23 PM

and Quai des Orfèvres
Old 04-02-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
For anyone interested, there is one copy of the bank dick, hard boiled, and rebecca on wherehouse.com. Rebecca is $98 which is pricey but I haven't seen it go for much less on ebay.
Old 11-25-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Criterion's website now lists Nights of Cabiria as out of print. Hopefully a fully-loaded 2-disc edition w/commentary etc. is on the way for next year - this film certainly deserves one.
Old 11-25-08, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Criterion's website now lists Nights of Cabiria as out of print. Hopefully a fully-loaded 2-disc edition w/commentary etc. is on the way for next year - this film certainly deserves one.
That is awfully sad news. Talk about a movie spilling over with heart and soul... perhaps my favorite Fellini and my favorite Criterion.
Old 11-25-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, the following titles have OOP first editions due to special editions:

The 400 Blows
Seven Samurai
M
Brazil
The Third Man
The Lady Vanishes
Amarcord
Playtime
Beauty and the Beast
High and Low
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
The Wages of Fear
Charade
Grey Gardens

and obviously, Salo recently came back into print as a new SE.

As for the OOP titles that were re-released by others...

The remasters of Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious are all superior in a/v quality. Criterion's Notorious was interlaced, Fox's is progressive. Obviously, extras are a split. Marion Keane's commentary for Notorious is an embarrassment, but Rudy Behlmer's was excellent. Fox included two tracks. Overall, I think Fox's Selznick-Hitchcock re-issues are great and they're only $15 each if you get the individual releases.

Universal's remaster of The Bank Dick in their first W.C. Fields box set is superior in a/v. And a better deal considering you can get five films for $30 and Criterion's disc would be $20 cheapest.

The commentary for The Unbearable Lightness of Being is on the Warner 2-disc SE. The upcoming This is Spinal Tap BluRay will have all the Criterion extras, including both tracks.
Old 11-25-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by patrickmccart
the commentary for the unbearable lightness of being is on the warner 2-disc se. The upcoming this is spinal tap bluray will have all the criterion extras, including both tracks.
sold!
Old 11-25-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Do not forget Armageddon & Rushmore
Old 11-25-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
That is awfully sad news. Talk about a movie spilling over with heart and soul... perhaps my favorite Fellini and my favorite Criterion.
It used to be that I felt comfortable running out and picking up an OOP criterion when I heard news like this - now I don't want to because I don't know if they'll be rereleasing a better package later;/

Michael
Old 11-26-08, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
Since when were those OOP? I don't recall seeing anything about that.

Originally Posted by fiver
It used to be that I felt comfortable running out and picking up an OOP criterion when I heard news like this - now I don't want to because I don't know if they'll be rereleasing a better package later;/

Michael
I think the general rule of thumb is that if it's a relatively bare-bones title that's non-anamorphic (and doesn't already have a better release by another studio, like with Time Bandits or The Long Good Friday), it's more likely to get a new SE than, say, Straw Dogs would.

Also, according to CSM126 on CriterionForum.com, it's very likely that the five titles Criterion licensed from New Line (Hoop Dreams, Short Cuts, My Own Private Idaho, Naked, and An Angel At My Table) will go OOP soon, since they are now Warner properties (due to NL folding), and their no-licensing policy would make it unlikely for them to renew them.

Luckily, I've already got Hoop Dreams, Idaho, and Short Cuts. I'm Netflixing the other two to see how I like them before I dive in with a purchase.
Old 11-26-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Since when were those OOP? I don't recall seeing anything about that.

http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=5190
http://dvdlist.kazart.com/queryDVDList2.php3?id=359
Old 11-26-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222
Neither of these titles is officially out of print, even though most retailers don't seem to carry them for some reason (Amazon also lists both of them as discontinued). Both titles are available from the Criterion official site, and DVDPlanet still carries Rushmore, although it is "temporarily sold out."

In other words, buy them from the Criterion store or your chosen site for used items.
Old 11-26-08, 08:22 PM
Banned

Criterion fixed this and is not going OOP.

http://www.criterion.com/films/243
Old 11-26-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
The upcoming This is Spinal Tap BluRay will have all the Criterion extras, including both tracks.
The Blu-ray will not, as far as I'm aware, have the "Spinal Tap: The Final Tour" demo film on it.

And it also remains to be seen just what deleted scenes make it onto the Blu-ray as well. The Criterion and MGM editions have different sets of deleted scenes; while many of them are the same, both versions have a few that didn't make it onto the other one.
Old 11-28-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23
That's weird. I guess there won't be an upgraded edition any time soon, then. A pity, especially since this is one that really shouldn't have an upper-tier price to begin with.
Old 11-28-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's weird. I guess there won't be an upgraded edition any time soon, then. A pity, especially since this is one that really shouldn't have an upper-tier price to begin with.
Typically, Criterion won't show a title as Out-of-Print before they re-release it. I don't believe Amarcord, Seven Samurai, or The Third Man ever went OOP. I'm crossing my fingers that this is still coming and on Blu-ray.
Old 12-06-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23

http://www.criterion.com/films/243
Though I got this email from John Mulvaney today:
Nights of Cabiria, like all unavailable Criterion DVDs, has gone out of print due solely to rights issues. To the best of my knowledge there are no current plans for a rerelease of this title.