Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Velvet Revolver to Part Ways With Singer

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

There has been a lot of talk about Scott's true feelings towards the band since the announcement of an STP tour (which as we all know, is happening) and it looks like the other members of the band are saying goodbye. Seen some talk about this issue on the boards here and thought I'd post this:

from Business wire:

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Velvet Revolver founding members Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner announced today that they are parting ways with singer Scott Weiland. "This band is all about its fans and its music and Scott Weiland isn't 100% committed to either," said Slash. "Among other things, his increasingly erratic on-stage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on."

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...00&newsLang=en
Old 04-01-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott Weiland acting erratic and having personal problems? Has to be an April-fools day joke, right?
Old 04-01-08, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not like he needed the job with the just recently announced stone temple pilots & their 50 date summer tour! (let's see if they can get thru all of those dates though!)
Old 04-01-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Chris Cornell is available....
Old 04-01-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Any dates/cities announced yet for the STP tour?
Old 04-01-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they might as well reform Guns N Roses and forget the Axl Rose solo crap
Old 04-01-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I don't have a problem with this, unless they get a new singer I don't like.
Old 04-01-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Scott has too much baggage. He needs to get his life together. This is a good move.

Yeah, Chris Cornell would be very interesting!
As would that guy from Buck Cherry.
Old 04-01-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How about just calling it a day. Let's face it VR is just a footnote on the Guns and Roses legacy and left virtually no music that's worth remembering.
Old 04-01-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
How about just calling it a day. Let's face it VR is just a footnote on the Guns and Roses legacy and left virtually no music that's worth remembering.
i don't think so - i think they are a good band and just because they didn't sell millions of records doesn't mean that they don't make good music.

i do hope they continue with another lead singer.
Old 04-01-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
i don't think so - i think they are a good band and just because they didn't sell millions of records doesn't mean that they don't make good music.

i do hope they continue with another lead singer.
I'll second that. I always thought VR was an interesting collaboration and enjoyed both CDs quite a bit. I'm glad to see Scott return to STP and hope he can pull his shit together. He truly has one of most amazing and unique voices I've heard from a rock vocalist. Those will be some tough shoes to fill, but I'm glad that Slash & Co. will try to forge ahead with VR.
Old 04-02-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My interest in this band just hit zero. Bring on the STP reunion!!
Old 04-02-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I always thought that they should have gone with Sebastian Bach in the first place.

He's got a stronger voice and isn't as erratic as (or have the drug problems of) Scott Weiland.

I don't think that Chris Cornell would be interested in the gig. I'm not sure where that leaves VR. Audition and unknown, maybe?
Old 04-02-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really hope they don't look to Cornell. His whiny voice annoys me.
Old 04-02-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jippy
I'll second that. I always thought VR was an interesting collaboration and enjoyed both CDs quite a bit. I'm glad to see Scott return to STP and hope he can pull his shit together. He truly has one of most amazing and unique voices I've heard from a rock vocalist. Those will be some tough shoes to fill, but I'm glad that Slash & Co. will try to forge ahead with VR.
I agree as well. I'd rather the rest of the guys move on and try to find a new singer as opposed to going their seperate ways.
Old 04-02-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I always thought that they should have gone with Sebastian Bach in the first place.

I second that thought...
Old 04-02-08, 01:26 PM

does this possibly mean we could be getting a 3rd season of RockStar ?
Old 04-02-08, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by yojimbo44
does this possibly mean we could be getting a 3rd season of RockStar ?
Is Dave Navarro available??
Old 04-02-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
It's a good thought--I don't think Bach would go for it though, in fear of upsetting poor Axl Rose. They toured together quite a bit in the last couple of years and each participated in the others' album.
Old 04-02-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MWB
It's a good thought--I don't think Bach would go for it though, in fear of upsetting poor Axl Rose. They toured together quite a bit in the last couple of years and each participated in the others' album.
Is singing in a Chinese Democracy session really considered participating on an album? I think it's more like singing into a Black Hole.
Old 04-02-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
Is singing in a Chinese Democracy session really considered participating on an album? I think it's more like singing into a Black Hole.
Touche'
Old 04-02-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
Is Dave Navarro available??
The answer is always 'yes'
Old 04-02-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
The answer is always 'yes'
Everywhere there is hair gel, shirts with no buttons and black nail polish, Dave Navarro will be there.
Old 04-02-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Scott Speaks

A Statement From Scott
MTV posted a statement from Scott:

"After reading the comment by Duff, Matt, Dave and the illustrious 'Guitar Hero,' Saul Hudson, a.k.a. Slash, I find it humorous that the so-called four 'founding members' of Velvet Revolver, better known to themselves as 'the Project' before I officially named the band, would decide to move on without me after I had already claimed the group dead in the water on March 20 in Glasgow," Weiland explained. "In response to Slash's comment regarding my commitment [to the band], I have to say it is a blatant and tired excuse to cover up the truth. The truth of the matter is that the band had not gotten along on multiple levels for some time. On a musical level, there were moments of joy, inspiration, fun ... at times. But let's not forget the multiple trips to rehab every member of the band had taken (with the exception of one member — no need to mention his name).

"Personally speaking, I choose to look forward to the future and performing with a group of friends I have known my entire life, people who have always had my back," Weiland continued. "This also speaks to my commitment to my music and my fellow bandmates in [Stone Temple Pilots] and to the fans who I feel would much rather watch a group of musicians who enjoy being together as opposed to a handful of discontents who at one time used to call themselves a gang."

In conclusion, Weiland warned fans not to be "fooled by veiled trickery," and even wished Velvet Revolver his best. "Good hunting, lads — I think Sebastian Bach would be a fantastic choice."
Old 04-02-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In Slash's autobiography, he talks about the people who auditioned for VR before Weiland was tapped/STP splintered.

He talks about them already trying out Josh Todd (and Keith Nelson) from Buckcherry. He said Josh's voice was "too linear and grating; it distracted from the music, not to mention just a tad off key" and "wasn't musical enough for what we had in mind".

He also says they tried out Sebastian back, but that it just didn't work out because it sounded like "Skid Roses", that it sounded like the sum of their parts, not anything new.

I'd like to see them continue, but I wouldn't necessarily mind hearing a return to a sound from a bygone era, maybe releasing something similar to the next Guns album in line from Illusions. Which leads me to believe maybe Sebastian wouldn't be a bad choice at all, at least to do that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.