Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-man 4 (2011) - News, Rumors, Cast, Etc

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-22-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Columbia, Koepp talk 'Spider-Man'
Studio in talks with writer over fourth installment
By MICHAEL FLEMING

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Shortly after getting their first look at "Spider-Man 3," Columbia Pictures execs have begun negotiating with David Koepp to pen the script for a fourth installment of the franchise.

Koepp, who most recently wrote the draft of a fourth "Indiana Jones" project that got George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford to reteam for Paramount, scripted the 2002 Spidey film that launched the studio's most lucrative franchise.

Alvin Sargent scripted the second and third installments; all the pics in the Marvel Comics franchise were directed by Sam Raimi.

"Spider-Man 3" bows on May 4, with Thomas Haden Church playing Sandman and Topher Grace as Venom. Laura Ziskin produces with Avi Arad and Grant Curtis.

Col is just beginning the process of development on the fourth Spidey pic -- a pricey exercise since new deals will have to be made with Tobey Maguire, Kirstin Dunst and James Franco, along with Raimi if he decides to return to direct a fourth film.

The studio would release the pic in 2009 or 2010.

The first two movies had a combined worldwide gross north of $1 billion.
Old 01-22-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wishlist? Hmm . . . From the way it's been rumored Venom will need to be in the next movie. I guess they could do Carnage as well.

What's happening with Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy? Could she be in the next movie and become the love interest if Dunst decides not to do another one?

If Raimi didn't make #4 I could really see it going south. I'd also hate to see SONY paying out the nose to get eveyrone to return and then cutting corners in other places.
Old 01-22-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts
Good story
Lots of action
Cool special effects
Old 01-22-07, 05:35 PM
Banned

A V S
Old 01-22-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please show us the Lizard, please! Otherwise, the introduction of Dr. Connors is pointless.

2009 could have Spidey 4 and the new Superman sequel. Awesome.
Old 01-22-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I love the Spider-Man movies... I think it's time for Sam Raimi to move on. He's much too talented to spend yet another 3 years of his life to yet another Spidey sequel. Im looking forward to original material or even an Evil Dead 4.
Old 01-22-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
As much as I love the Spider-Man movies... I think it's time for Sam Raimi to move on. He's much too talented to spend yet another 3 years of his life to yet another Spidey sequel. Im looking forward to original material or even an Evil Dead 4.
I'd love to see him do another acting gig. He cracked me up in Indian Summer.
Old 01-22-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lara Means
So I guess you're not thrilled with Raimi directing The Shadow?
Old 01-22-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
As long as Kirsten Dunst isn't in it (or they have someone else play MJ), they could have three monkeys, an orangutan and a lemur write it and i'd be okay with it...
Old 01-22-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too bad, I was kinda hoping they'd make Spiderman 4 without one, just for variety's sake.
Old 01-22-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Please show us the Lizard, please! Otherwise, the introduction of Dr. Connors is pointless.
One of my favourite Spidey villians, and I wanna see him on the big screen, dammit! Why bother having Doc Connors in the movies if he isn't going to become the Lizard? Just as a knowing nod to fanboys?
Old 01-22-07, 09:52 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Alvin Sargent scripted the second and third installments; all the pics in the Marvel Comics franchise were directed by Sam Raimi.
And we can't use him for Part 4 why...?
Old 01-22-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
And we can't use him for Part 4 why...?
Sargent has always been something of a closer on the Spidey films. He's the producer's husband and even did an uncredited final draft of the first film. For Spidey 2, I believe they brought in Koepp, the Smallville team, and Michael Chabon. I think Koepp's stuff was probably dropped while Sargent kinda brought together the other writers' stuff into a final script. I haven't been following Spidey 3 so I couldn't say about that. But I'm thinking if the creative team (especially producer Laura Ziskin) remains the same for Spidey 4, Sargent will probably get a pass at the script.
Old 04-26-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spidey to live on with or without Raimi
By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer
1 hour, 43 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Don't worry about Spider-Man. The web-slinger will be back on the big screen after "Spider-Man 3," his Hollywood handlers say.

The question is whether director Sam Raimi and stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst will go on another adventure.

Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios, the film branch of the comic-book empire that owns Stan Lee's superhero creation, plan to move ahead with "Spider-Man 4," though the actors and filmmaker are noncommittal about their own participation.

"I know there'll be a `Spider-Man 4, 5 and 6,'" said writer-director Raimi, the filmmaker behind the first three. "I just won't be the guy that'll probably write the story, because I've got to step away from it to clear my head."

"My hope is that Sam and Tobey and Kirsten will want to come back for more," said Amy Pascal, Sony co-chairwoman. "They can make as many `Spider-Man' movies with me as they want to."

If Raimi, Maguire and Dunst decided against it, "then I'll be making `Spider-Man' movies," Pascal said, with other actors and filmmakers. "We will continue to make them at the studio."

Since 2002's blockbuster "Spider-Man," Raimi said he had known precisely what he wanted to do with each succeeding chapter. With "Spider-Man 3" wrapping up key conflicts from the first two films, Raimi said he has no story in mind to continue the saga of young Peter Parker and his superhero alter ego.

That could be left to another writer, with Raimi potentially directing again if someone hit on the right story.

"If there was something within the character, Peter Parker where we last left him, that told us where he next had to go, what he next had to learn as a human being to become a fuller person, and somebody could fashion a story around that idea that was intriguing, engaging, interesting — you couldn't keep me from it," Raimi said.

"I just can't think about that right now. That's really the truth of it."

Raimi's "Spider-Man 4" prospects are further blurred by speculation that he could be in line to direct "The Hobbit," the prequel to J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" fantasy.

Peter Jackson, the filmmaker who turned "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy into one of Hollywood's biggest successes ever, is at odds with New Line Cinema, the studio that made the films and is developing "The Hobbit."

Jackson, who is suing New Line over profits on "The Lord of the Rings," and New Line boss Bob Shaye have traded bitter words indicating they would not be working together again.

New Line executives declined to comment, but Hollywood is notorious for blood feuds that end in hugs, kisses and reconciliation, so the company and Jackson still might patch things up. Yet their quarrel certainly could open a door for Raimi should he not return to "Spider-Man."

Raimi's a proven hand at the mix of action, spectacle and human intimacy Jackson brought to "Lord of the Rings," so he would be an obvious choice to take on "The Hobbit."

"I don't feel it's appropriate for me to say even, because really, that's Peter Jackson's, Bob Shaye's picture. They'd have to come to terms about what direction they're going to go first," Raimi said. "Then it would have to be offered to me. If that were to happen, Peter would have to be OK with it, and I'm not even sure it's the picture for me next. I think it might be premature for me to guess."

Maguire, who plays the steadfast Peter and the daring Spider-Man, and Dunst, who co-stars as the love of his life, Mary Jane, also are uncertain about their future with the franchise.

Both say it would take a new approach — and probably Raimi's return — to get them to come back for more "Spider-Man" films.

"Sam really is the heart of these movies. So I can't imagine it without him. We have a fantastic shorthand and a great relationship. To me, he is these movies," Maguire said. "A lot of people contribute a lot of great things, but to me, Sam is the core of it. The character of the stories lives in his gut."

For Dunst, the future of Spider-Man hinges on "Sam and Tobey and me and a good script and a different kind of direction. Something fresh that's different for all of us," she said. "We resolve a lot of things in this film, and so it's really an end to this trilogy. It feels like an end."

Maguire said he expects it will be as long as two years before a script might be ready, at which point he would think about returning.

"We could all get together and make a fourth one, they could make a fourth one that's a continuing story and just kind of have all new people, they could reconceive the whole thing and approach it from a different angle. I just don't know," Maguire said. "They're going to squeeze everything out of these things that they can."

"Spider-Man" producer Laura Ziskin said the caretakers of the franchise would sit down with Sony executives in mid-May, once the film opens, to discuss what to do next. It would take a minimum of three years to get another film ready, she said.

"We'd love to have Sam, we'd love to have Tobey, we'd love to have Kirsten. We'd like to keep the team. But Spider-Man is bigger than all of us," said Avi Arad, a producer on the "Spider-Man" films who until last year also headed Marvel Studios.

"It's early to say, but you can totally assume that Spider-Man will endure and thrive and will continue," Arad said. "There's so many stories to tell. Over 40 years of stories. We only told three."

Raimi agreed that with or without him, Maguire and Dunst, Spider-Man should live on in future films.

"There are so many stories that Stan Lee wrote that are great stories, and so many new characters to be introduced and so many events that have yet to take place in Peter Parker's life," Raimi said. "Plus the character is rich in that he is a young man learning the lessons of life, so there's so many lovely parables to tell."
Old 04-26-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always knew this "Spidey will end at 3" sh*t would never fly. The idiotic studio is going to milk this franchise dry as a bone. I can guarantee you, as long as the films make money, there will be films. This is headed toward Friday the 13th territory. Sequels out the ass!

"They're going to squeeze everything out of these things that they can."
.....and that is one of the biggest problems with Hollywood. Then again how can we expect any different when they'll throw money at anyone that wants to make a film, talent or talentless.

My thinking is if Maguire is smart, he'll leave when Raimi leaves. Otherwise he might find himself stuck in this universe making shitty films.
Old 04-27-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'd love to see him do another acting gig. He cracked me up in Indian Summer.
I thought that was Sam's brother.
Old 04-27-07, 03:55 AM
Banned

I posted in another thread that they are considering using Morlun as the villain in the next movie. I really wonder what they were smoking when they came up with that idea. They have all these popular classic villains they could use, but they choose a new villain that nobody but the most hardcore comic fans will know.
Old 04-27-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wouldn't mind Dunst being out of the films finally. Interviews like this spoil part 3 though as now we know the return option is open for certain characters like hers.

As for villians, if Raimi is not involved would it really shock anyone to see the Lizard thing dropped? I would think Sony would pick the most popular names left regardless of the story... Venom, Carnage, Kraven ect ....
Old 04-27-07, 12:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wait, that interview was a spoiler because it reveals that MJ doesn't die in SM3? Come on, I could have told you she wasn't going to die.
Old 04-27-07, 01:10 PM
Banned

I think Ben Kingsley would be a nifty Vulture.
I'd also be happy with The Lizard and Kraven. Kraven comes to town to hunt a mythic lizard man and sets his sights on Spidey after they tangle.
Old 04-27-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think these movies can do fine without Raimi, they just need another good director. I'd love to see David Fincher do one.
Old 04-27-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Wait, that interview was a spoiler because it reveals that MJ doesn't die in SM3? Come on, I could have told you she wasn't going to die.
Yep, it's still a spoiler. If people are going to give me shit for the "previews" that come after Lost in the TV section.
Old 04-27-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Yep, it's still a spoiler. If people are going to give me shit for the "previews" that come after Lost in the TV section.
But this isn't a thread about Spidey 3, it's a thread about Spidey 4.
Old 04-28-07, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Michael Chabon
Old 04-28-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd love a Kraven story with a dark tone. I'd think they could save a bunch on cgi with hi instead of other cgi heavy villians...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.