Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC unveils summer slate

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2565

Posted: Mon., Mar. 31, 2008, 12:42pm A

BC unveils summer slate
'Bachelorette,' 'Mole' return to tube

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDERABC will roll out its summer sked in three waves, starting at the end of May with the revival of shelved franchises "The Bachelorette" and "The Mole."

"The Bachelorette" bows Monday, May 19 with a two-hour preem at 9 p.m., before moving down to 8 p.m. the following week to make room for "The Mole" (Daily Variety, March 31).

"The Bachelorette," which features "The Bachelor" finalist DeAnna Pappas, will continue as two-hour series, with "The Mole" at 10 p.m.

Then, at the end of June, ABC will launch its Tuesday night entries. The new "Wipeout" competish will air Tuesdays at 8 p.m. starting June 24; also that night, the reality gamer "I Survived A Japanese Game Show" - in which Americans are flown to Japan to take part in one of the nation's notorious physical competitions - airs at 9 p.m.

Later that week, as expected ABC will pair "Grey's Anatomy" repeats with ABC News' "Hopkins," a docuseries sure to be promoted as the "real-life 'Grey's Anatomy'" (Daily Variety, March 17). Show, a look at young doctors at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, will air on Thursdays at 10 p.m starting June 26.

The night after that, ABC launches its summer dance competish, "Dance Machine." Show will air Fridays at 8 p.m. starting June 27.

A month later, ABC has two more entries left: "High School Musical: Summer Session" - which features teens and young adults auditioning for a summer music program - airs Sundays at 8 p.m. starting July 20.

Net is still not revealing the show's ultimate prize; a host and judges are also still to be named.

The next night, on Monday, July 21, the celeb competition "Wanna Bet" - hosted by Brit presenters Ant and Dec - bows. Show, which will air Mondays at 9 p.m., has already lined up contenstants such as Drew Lachey, Sherri Shepherd, Bill Engvall and Scott Hamilton, all of whom are competing for charity.
Again I ask, why is ABC premiering The Mole on Memorial Day when viewership is pretty low? And now I see that it will be on at 10 pm? They really are trying to kill it before it even starts.

Chris
Old 03-31-08, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll

Again I ask, why is ABC premiering The Mole on Memorial Day when viewership is pretty low? And now I see that it will be on at 10 pm? They really are trying to kill it before it even starts.

Chris
Nothing but more reality shows
Old 03-31-08, 06:05 PM

I prefer to call them "competishes".
Old 03-31-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ABC ran that Hopkins thing a couple of years ago... It was pretty good.
Old 03-31-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TwineTime
I prefer to call them "competishes".
That must be the equivalent of "skein".
Old 03-31-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I can pretty much ignore ABC this summer...
Old 03-31-08, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
You're not dissing The Mole are you? And especially during the summer when all we get is repeats?

Chris
Old 04-01-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
I like the idea of the Bachelorette, nothing beats a good sleazy dating show during the summer. I was kind of hoping that they would bring back "The Ex-Wifes Club", I thought that was a decent enough show last summer.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 04-01-08 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I was hoping for the return of American Inventor, even though the show is amazingly cheesy. I still get sort of caught up in it (until the finale, when the public ultimately chooses the one finalist with a product that won't hit market until after the hydorgen-powered flying cars do).
Old 04-02-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bloopbleep
+1

I don't understand why they wouldn't want to show the entire season of "enchanced" LOST episodes. Seeing as this season was so short, they'd be able to show the whole thing and get people caught up before the new season (I know for a fact that there are a lot of people forced to watch the DVDs because they release each previous season so close to the new season's premiere that they'll never get caught up). I for one will not watch ANY of that programming. A complete reairing of LOST however...
Old 04-02-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would've liked to see them re-air the first set of Pushing Daisies, so I could push the show on to more friends, but oh well. I probably won't be watching any of this.
Old 04-02-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would like to kill a network executive someday.
Old 04-02-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news about the Mole. Is Anderson Cooper still hosting?
Old 04-02-08, 10:06 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I don't understand why they wouldn't want to show the entire season of "enchanced" LOST episodes. Seeing as this season was so short, they'd be able to show the whole thing and get people caught up before the new season (I know for a fact that there are a lot of people forced to watch the DVDs because they release each previous season so close to the new season's premiere that they'll never get caught up). I for one will not watch ANY of that programming. A complete reairing of LOST however...
Originally Posted by dvd182
Would've liked to see them re-air the first set of Pushing Daisies, so I could push the show on to more friends, but oh well. I probably won't be watching any of this.
Why is everyone assuming ABC won't air any reruns this summer? That article merely highlights the new things that will be on the schedule, which amounts to only 8 shows, most being an hour in length. According to this chart: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide.aspx?id=summer_2008 there are still 13 hours of primetime hours waiting to be programmed (10 if you dismiss Saturday).

And on another note... complaining that all the shows are reality is sort of a double-edged sword. Damn near every scripted show that debuts in the summer never makes it out of the summer... so what's the point of getting hooked on a show that you know won't survive past August? Summer is where new scripted shows go to die.

Last edited by DRG; 04-02-08 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by boc4ever
Great news about the Mole. Is Anderson Cooper still hosting?

Posted: Sun., Mar. 30, 2008, 9:00pm PT

ABC digs up 'Mole' host
Jon Kelley set for reality gig
By JOSEF ADALIAN

Kelley

The identity of "The Mole" is still a secret, but the name of the show's new host can be revealed: Jon Kelley.
Kelley, a former weekend anchor for "Extra," replaces original "Mole" man Anderson Cooper. Cooper, an unknown at the time of the show's 2001 debut, is now a key CNN primetime anchor.

It's believed ABC is planning to air the new "Mole" Mondays at 10 p.m., starting May 26. Skein will likely be paired with another Alphabet reality revival, "The Bachelorette," which is being eyed for a possible May 19 debut.

ABC wasn't talking about its summer sked plans Friday, though it's expected the net could announce its intentions as early as today. Like its rivals, Alphabet has been stocking up on nonscripted summer skeins, with as many as eight series expected to roll out during the third quarter.

Among the shows contending for a summer berth: the Ant and Dec quizzer "Wanna Bet?," the stunt-focused "Wipe Out" and the competition skein "Big in Japan."

"The Mole" -- from Stone & Co. -- has been on an extended hiatus ... since 2004. ABC aired four editions of the paranoia-themed competition, including two featuring celeb casts. Latter editions were hosted by Ahmad Rashad.

In addition to his multiyear stint on "Extra," Kelley's credits include a gig as lead anchor for Fox Sports Net's "The National Sports Report" and "Baseball Today."

Chris
Old 04-02-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Well, I can pretty much ignore ABC this summer...
I'm with you on this.
Old 04-02-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Sked. Skein. Competish. I want to kick Variety in the testics.
Old 04-02-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Sked. Skein. Competish. I want to kick Variety in the testics.
Don't you mean testisch?
Old 04-02-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Thanks for the information. I thought Cooper was great as a host, but Rashad was mediocre. Hopefully they found a worthy replacement.