Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Differences between older Sony PSP and the newer slim version?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a PSP that is older but it works fine. Someone told me the other day that I might want to sell mine while I can get some decent money for it and replace it with one of the newer PSPs. I'm assuming he meant a slim one. Does anybody know if there's any difference in a newer PSP than an older one? Should I sell this one and upgrade to a newer one? If so which one? Or should I just keep the one I have and play it until it no longer works and then get a new one? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-31-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has more RAM to allow some games to load faster and the form factor is a thousand times improved, but ultimately, it's not a upgrade you would NEED to make. I think the battery life was made more efficient as well but it comes with a smaller battery so the life is about the same as the original. The d-pad is also usable on the slim PSP but that was quietly fixed on the original, so it's only a concern if you have a launch/near-launch PSP.
Old 03-31-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The differences are minor. Obviously a bit slimmer and lighter, but it also feels a lot cheaper. I haven't had any issues with my slim so I think the build quality is fine, but it definitely doesn't feel as solid as the original. I think it is more comfortable to hold now that it is lighter. The only downside to the new design is the door for the slim. You just pull it open instead of the latch on the original.

The Slim has longer battery life if you use the original or extended life PSP battery, but you also have to get a new battery door which eliminates a bit of the slimness. With the included smaller battery it has the same life as the original.

Slim has more onboard memory, but the advantages in load time are not that big for most games. It may be noticeable on newer titles like FFVII and God of War. The only other advantage to the memory is support for Skype. The original isn't compatible.

I really don't think there is any reason to upgrade unless you just want a new PSP.

Last edited by darkside; 03-31-08 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-31-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new RAM won't improve load times for games that don't look for it, so it's only going to be for new games and only games that take advantage of it. I do know that Crisis Core is supposed to be one of those games.
Old 03-31-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
The screen image, while not actually brighter, it appears so since the resolution is sharper. Again, not a huge deal, but I do like the slim better. The UMD slot does feel flimsey and feels like it could open at any time, but it actually has worked just fine for me.
Old 04-01-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never spent much time on the original PSP, but the big thing for me was noticing that the new slim is actually slimmer and lighter than the DS lite. A bit of a shock at the time because I'd previously thought the DS lite was perfect, and the perfect weight. However, after spending 30 hours of Jeanne D'Arc and a bunch of other games and finally going back to the DS, I swear the thing felt like a brick in my hands. I imagine the numerical difference isn't huge, but it's very perceptible when you go back and forth between the two.

Anyway, with the awesome D-Pad (which sounds like it's in most of the original version models also), the increased ram, and the new slim build, I'm really glad I waited till the slim release before taking the plunge. Of course, it doesn't help you, but if PSP is something you play a ton of then I would be seriously tempted to upgrade in your position, especially if you mainly play on commute.
Old 04-02-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the extended life battery and actually like the bigger door cover on the back...it gives my right hand something to grip against. I kind of wish the left side had something like that as well.
Old 04-02-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love my PSP 1000, it's still in pristine condition, but can't help with the red God of War PSP slim. Already signed up for it at Amazon and Buy.com, gotta have it...
Old 04-02-08, 10:05 AM

To me the screen is 100% better. My dad got the 1000 as a gift. (Don't ask my why, I don't understand it.)
I played it for a day Star wars battelfield & a super dark racing game & I could not see any detail. After demoing the 2000 in store I bought one that day.
Old 04-02-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It also has audio/video out which is great for being able to play PSP games on my TV.
Old 04-02-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was going to bring that up if you hadn't, flashburn. That's the only thing I'd upgrade from my current one for. Nice when you go on vacation and can put your PSP stuff up on a TV.
Old 04-02-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by flashburn
It also has audio/video out which is great for being able to play PSP games on my TV.
Or videos. I used it for that a lot last Christmas with the extended family.
Old 04-02-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
I have the extended life battery and actually like the bigger door cover on the back...it gives my right hand something to grip against. I kind of wish the left side had something like that as well.
Yeah, I use the extended life as well and also like the grip of the battery cover. I was able to pick up an extra extended life that was new in the packaging but sold as used for $4.50 at GameStop and the charger for $10 on clearance at Toys R Us. I have no issues with battery life now. When I finally do drain the battery I have another extended life charged and ready to go.

I forgot about the TV out. I have used it a few times. UMD movies look decent. More artifacts than standard DVDs but watchable. Games actually look really good though they are not full screen. You can only play games with the component cables on TVs that support 480p.
Old 04-03-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used the video out to play Silent Hill:O through with some friends since we usually play the SH games together. It's not PS2 quality but it's quite respectable, especially on a big TV.