Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dancing with the Stars - (3/31/08 & 04/01/08) - And then there were 10...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which couple will have the lowest combined score and be sent home?
Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas
0%
Mario (Barrett) & Karina Smirnoff
0%
Priscilla Presley & Louis van Amstel
0%
Marlee Matlin & Fabian Sanchez
7.14%
Jason Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
0%
Cristián de la Fuente & Cheryl Burke
0%
Shannon Elizabeth & Derek Hough
0%
Steve Guttenberg & Anna Trebunskaya
21.43%
Marissa Jaret Winokur & Tony Dovolani
53.57%
Adam Carolla & Julianne Hough
17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 08:11 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Episode 603a - Mon March 31 8/7c - 1h36m

Penn Jillette and Monica Seles have been sent from the floor. Now the remaining ten stars must give it their all in the jive and tango!

Episode 603b - Tues April 1 9/8c - 1 Hour
The Results Show... and only one couple goes home!

Old threads and results:

Last edited by Goldberg74; 03-31-08 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-31-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I would hate the "stars" this season, but once again, they have all proved to be really likeable and capable. After Corolla leaves, I really hate to see anyone else go. I'm enjoying them and what they bring to the dance floor. I hope Shannon stays awhile. I find her attitude really refreshing.
Old 03-31-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
I don't see the point of voting until the show airs.
Old 03-31-08, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I don't see the point of voting until the show airs.
So true.

We have to remember that this show is only half of a "popularity contest."
Old 03-31-08, 07:11 PM

Marlee Matlin looks amazing!
Old 03-31-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
Marlee Matlin looks amazing!
They need to drop the "I cant believe how good you keep in time with the music" stuff though with her.Im sure she doesnt wanna always be reminded of the fact that she is deaf.
Old 03-31-08, 07:59 PM

at Adam Carrolla... "I love the Mormons!"

How uncomfortable for Julianne.
Old 03-31-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
at Adam Carrolla... "I love the Mormons!"

How uncomfortable for Julianne.
I agreed with his comments regarding her attire.This could be her last week and i could barely recognize her
Old 03-31-08, 08:44 PM

Adam Carrolla
Old 03-31-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was that Jeff Prosbt? What was he doing on a ABC show? Isn't Survivor on CBS?
Old 03-31-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I voted for Marissa.

I thought they should have given Shannon a better score, Kristi wasn't THAT good this week. Judges were a bit hard on Jason.
Old 03-31-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts
Yeah, I thought Shannon deserved a higher score. And Mario should have had a lower total--he didn't deserve that 8 from Bruno.

I voted for Marissa to go home this week. She's just not that interesting.

WTF is up with dancing the tango to "Rio" by Duran Duran? That was surreal. I felt sorry for Kristi because of that, but she soldiered through it.
Old 03-31-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts
The third week is usually a weak one, since they have a lot of time to practice the first two dances, and its the first week they really have to work on a 5-day schedule.

This was an odd week. I thought Priscilla was was graded too generously. To my untrained eyes, Mario didn't seem all that bad, but the judges were pretty much in line with their criticism. It was pretty painful to watch Marissa and Tony, -while the routine wasn't awful, her shortcomings are a little more obvious. Worse, the judging was brutal and the interview with Samantha was really uncomfortable.

Both Marlee and Kristi were good, but not as engaging as the previous weeks. I think Mark decided to go with Kristi's strong suit, -precision and timing, =and didn't allow for a moment or two to show some personality; she just put on an angry face and that was it. Mind you, this was a problem for Helio and Julianne kept him smiling for the rest of the season.
Old 03-31-08, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought Jason's dance was awful. Mark and Kristi's dance was overrated with him portraying a pimp with tourette's. Mario's dance was a mess; Cristian's dance was eh. Except for Priscilla's dance which felt like two people connected in a tango, I was not keen on any of them although Guttenberg's segment was a lot of fun. Can we vote to have Jonathan dance with Steve permanently?

Carrie Ann was a bitch to Marissa. I thought Adam Carolla called her a witch, but bitch is more accurate.
Old 04-01-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I thought Jason's dance was awful. Mark and Kristi's dance was overrated with him portraying a pimp with tourette's. Mario's dance was a mess; Cristian's dance was eh. Except for Priscilla's dance which felt like two people connected in a tango, I was not keen on any of them although Guttenberg's segment was a lot of fun. Can we vote to have Jonathan dance with Steve permanently?

Carrie Ann was a bitch to Marissa. I thought Adam Carolla called her a witch, but bitch is more accurate.
I was going to share my two cents on tonight's show, but this pretty much covered it.
Old 04-01-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Marissa and Tony really were terrible. Tony finds a way to do this every season. He lacks any capacity to accept valid criticism, so he dismisses it as the judges' inability to match his level of awesomeness. They give him the "bad boy" moniker, but every season he just comes across as a prick.

das
Old 04-01-08, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Marissa and Tony really were terrible. Tony finds a way to do this every season. He lacks any capacity to accept valid criticism, so he dismisses it as the judges' inability to match his level of awesomeness. They give him the "bad boy" moniker, but every season he just comes across as a prick.

das
I like Tony, but his choreography this season sucks, and the judges should be calling him out although I wouldn't listen to Carrie Ann about anything. I imagine most of the male dancers don't pay her any attention since she always favors the male "stars."
Old 04-01-08, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The judges are tough and unlike those judges on Idol. No need to name names. But that gets them to think about what they did wrong and improve. Yeah, i'm sure it can be tough with their comments when you gave it all you got but that's what the judges are there for.

Marlee can dance. Being deaf hasn't been a handicap at all.

Only standout for me last night was Priscilla. Great performance leading into the dance and in the dance itself.

Corolla, Marissa, the Gutt, and Christian are in trouble. Yeah, Christian too, even though he got high scores from the judges. It's going to get tougher for a pretty boy like him with the public. But in the end, I think the Gutt will go home tomorrow. I'd rather Corolla.

The Gutt knocked Ana when he said he wanted to dance with her husband instead. Truth be told, he's a better teacher.

I was pretty sure Corolla knew Julianne was a Mormon. Sometimes, I have no idea where he's going with his jokes. He should concentrate on dancing. And no, Julianne looked hot in spite of what he said.

Last edited by big whoppa; 04-01-08 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-01-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Corolla had me

Shannon Elizabeth is a lot better than I expected her to be going into the season.

Kristi's partner is an excellent choreographer. Usually only the female pros seem to have that talent.

Yeah, Christian too, even though he got high scores from the judges. It's going to get tougher for a pretty boy like him with the public.
Given the show's viewer demographics, I think not.
Old 04-01-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course Corolla knew Julianne is a Mormon. That was the joke. His sense of humor is all in good fun, and I think it's a great change of pace for the show.

das
Old 04-01-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Cellar Door
WTF is up with dancing the tango to "Rio" by Duran Duran? That was surreal. I felt sorry for Kristi because of that, but she soldiered through it.

Yeah - the choices of songs to dance a Tango to were way way out there. There were 2 or 3 that made me .
Old 04-01-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I actually like the stars this year, well at least Adam, Priscilla, Marlee, and Shannon.

Gutt makes me feel like I'm watching an infomercial.
Old 04-01-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gutt was okay, but the degree of difficulty was pretty low, though it would have been really funny to see Gutt and Jonathan paired up had Anna been too sick to dance.

Mario was flashy but messy, Karina seems to get the partners who are almost too busy to be on this show at times.

Adam is coming along, though what he lacks in musicality, he makes up for in playing the part in a hammy but fun fashion.

Marlee is an inspiration, combining both the acting and the dance portion into another solid performance.

Shannon could be a dark horse to make it to the top 4 or 5 this season. It's funny how out of breath she is after her dance due to her lack of fitness, though she's got a great figure.

Cristian was a wild man on the dance floor, but way too much smiling and grinning during the dance for me. It looked like Cheryl was having a good time because of the speed of the dance was making it fun for her.

Marissa has bounce and effervescence, but lacks drive and direction. It's like she's performing the dance, but lacks any connection to the dance at hand, so it looks a little lackadaisical and out of focus. Tony seems to just be running out the clock with their dances.

Priscilla was given too high a scores, should have been in the 24-25 range, but she did the best job in selling the tango, although I didn't find the actual dancing as impressive as the judges did. I got a little bored by her dancing.

Xerxes can move, but his kicks lack pop because he's just so big and tall, I think the inertia of the movements make his kicks look soft, but precise. His dance was a little on the doughy side, a bit too smooth and gliding, and couldn't get get that nice snap in his kicks.

Kristi will most likely always be technically good, and the main reason she got 9's was because the judges over-scored Priscilla. She did have some trouble with connecting to the tango in terms of imparting the emotional distance between her and Mark, whose mouth was barking a lot during the dance, that was weird to watch.

Last edited by Patman; 04-01-08 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-01-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Of course Corolla knew Julianne is a Mormon. That was the joke. His sense of humor is all in good fun, and I think it's a great change of pace for the show.

das
I thought it was hilarious. But why was Julianne acting so weird/embarrassed about the whole thing? It's not like he said anything bad, he was just pointing out the irony of him learning a sexy prostitution dance from a Mormon. The only thing that could explain her reaction is if she does not want people to know she is Mormon?
Old 04-01-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Julianne was just a little embarrassed at the style of his joke, with him linking the Tango to prostitution (twice). Joking about prostitutes on national television probably conflicts a little with her upbringing, and I don't think it has anything to do with being a Mormon. A lot of young women would feel uncomfortable in that situation, even if it was harmless and very funny. Poor Samantha just didn't get the joke at all.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.