Old 03-30-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
John Adams - Part 4 "Reunion" 3/30/08

Rated TVPG: ADULT CONTENT

Running Time: 65 minutes

Genre: History, Drama
Spoiler:

1781. Convalescing in Holland, Adams joyously learns the British surrendered to Washington at Yorktown. The Dutch, unwilling to part with their money during the war, now generously open their pockets to Adams and America. Returning to France to secure commerce with other nations, Adams sends for Abigail, and the two reunite in his opulent mansion in Paris. Also arriving is Jefferson, who suffered a catastrophic loss with the deaths of his wife and daughter in the same year. Both Jefferson and Abigail fall under Paris' healing spell, attending opera and luxuriating in the city's intoxicating lifestyle. But a missive from America sends Adams to London as the nation's first Ambassador to Britain, while Jefferson replaces Franklin in Paris. In London, Adams has a memorable meeting with King George III, in which the King recognizes the friendship of the United States as an independent nation. With a new federal government about to be elected in America, Adams and Abigail finally return to Boston, where Adams is given a hero's welcome while reconnecting with his children. In Braintree, Adams deals with a few family concerns-including son Charles' debauched behavior at Harvard, John Quincy's courtship of a young woman, and the overtures being made by his aide, Col. William Smith, towards Adams' daughter Nabby. Though he vows to remain providentially unemployed, Adams soon realizes that he and Abigail weren't meant to sit in the shade of life. The election of the first U.S. president and vice-president is at hand-and Adams will again be putting his private life on hold. (TVPG) (AC)
Old 03-30-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another great episode. Loved the scene with the King...awkward!. And I could watch hours, and hours, and hours of these Adams/Franklin/Jefferson conversations.
Old 03-31-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Another great episode. Loved the scene with the King...awkward!. And I could watch hours, and hours, and hours of these Adams/Franklin/Jefferson conversations.

SECONDED! I love every second of these scenes, and if each of these actors isn't nominated for an emmy (along with the cast of the Wire, mind you), then there is no justice, and the good judgement of the American people is truly lost forever.

I love the portrayal of Jefferson. I said this in a previous post, but he has such an analytical sort of detachment from the process he is taking part in that betrays his brilliance.

I'm also loving how they are portraying the friendship/rivalry between he and Adams that has become so famous. Adams' inherent distrust of Man and his greed, and his belief in a firm and established rule of law. Jefferson's inherent faith in Man and his understanding of philosophical evolution and the belief that men must change with the times... as, too, should their society.

"I shall miss your company, Mr. Jefferson." "And I shall miss yours, Mrs. Adams." - Brilliant.

The scene of Adams' audience with the king was quite impressive. You can plainly see why Adams favored the British in his later debates with Jefferson. Hid behavior and tact at the Court of St. James was in stark contrast to his many faux pas at the Palais de l' Elysées.

Random observations:

Ben Franklin, again, contues to be my favorite person ever.

John Quincy continues to be a poncy douche.

Charles, it seems, bridges the gap between the "Colonial New Englander" of the revolution and the "Retahded Boston Ass" of today.

It seems that Washington, like Superman, remains the perfect boyscout (slaves notwithstanding) and his nervousness at reciting the oath (and his endowing it with the solemnity it entails, rather than playing to the crowd with a booming oratory) was quite touching.

Adams back-handed Vice Presidential "thank you" to the assembly before Washingtons arrival had me in stitches, as does any instance where his pride and indignation flare up.

Next week looks awesome.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 03-31-08 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-31-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
It was nice to see Adams' frustration with not being a participant in the Constitution process.

The scene with the King was excellent, as was GW's soft-spokenness in undertaking the oath.
Old 03-31-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
George III's conversation with John Adams seemed like a parent that acceded to a child's wishes against the parent's judgment: "I pray, Mr. Adams, that the United States does not suffer unduly from its want of a monarchy."

Great scene -- only Adams could go to England.
Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain referred to this episode in July 7, 1976 at the White House. She said, "John Adams, America's first Ambassador, said to my ancestor, King George III, that it was his desire to help with the restoration of 'the old good nature and the old good humor between our peoples.' That restoration has long been made, and the links of language, tradition, and personal contact have maintained it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams
Old 03-31-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wishbon3
George III's conversation with John Adams seemed like a parent that acceded to a child's wishes against the parent's judgment: "I pray, Mr. Adams, that the United States does not suffer unduly from its want of a monarchy."

Great scene -- only Adams could go to England.

Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain referred to this episode in July 7, 1976 at the White House. She said, "John Adams, America's first Ambassador, said to my ancestor, King George III, that it was his desire to help with the restoration of 'the old good nature and the old good humor between our peoples.' That restoration has long been made, and the links of language, tradition, and personal contact have maintained it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams

I'd never heard that before, great quote!

-Doc
Old 04-01-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm so happy they made this a series. It truly is interesting material. I'll probably never forget that scene with the King.
Old 04-01-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for "great scene with the King".

So exactly how long was Adams away from his children? John Quincy grows up that much since we last saw him?
Old 04-01-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chew
Another vote for "great scene with the King".

So exactly how long was Adams away from his children? John Quincy grows up that much since we last saw him?

I think it was about 8 years.
Old 04-01-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

I can't wait for the next phase and what I assume will be the introduction of one Alexander Hamilton and the ensuing friction between Adams and him.
Old 04-01-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Loved this episode - I was worried that the guy standing next to the throne was not the king - he looked much shorter than the throne, and I wondered why the king would stand next to the throne. He looked uncomfortable, so I was afraid Adams was giving his speech and bowing to the Kings assistant.

What is up with the FLIES??

Any one else out there with a good audio 5.1 setup - hear all the flies?
Old 04-02-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Loved this episode - I was worried that the guy standing next to the throne was not the king - he looked much shorter than the throne, and I wondered why the king would stand next to the throne. He looked uncomfortable, so I was afraid Adams was giving his speech and bowing to the Kings assistant.
It's well known that he was a bit whacked in the noggin (imbreeding the most likely culprit) and a TERRIBLE king, so his awkwardness was spot on, I thought.

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
What is up with the FLIES??

Any one else out there with a good audio 5.1 setup - hear all the flies?
1 - No deodorant
2 - infrequent baths
3 - shitty (pun intended) to nonexistant sanitation system
4 - Fly swatter not invented until 1905 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_swatter)

-Doc
Old 04-14-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqAb8NmyTxo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RqAb8NmyTxo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
John Adams Meets King George III