Reload this Page >

Questions about white specks & white dots during DVD playback

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-29-08, 04:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice a lot of DVDs I play have white specks & white dots showing up all over the screen during playback. I have read that this can be due to damage of the original source film prior to being transferred to DVD.

I was wondering if this also ever occurs due to physical damage on the DVDs? These white specks and white dots pretty much drive me nuts. So if it is the case that it might not always be a problem with the source film, I want to be 100% sure that when I'm watching a DVD product, my particular copy is not fubared with these defects. Whereas other copies of the same thing would be free for these defects. Short of having another identical copy of the same disc, is there any simple way to identify this problem as definitely being caused by damage to the source film rather than something physically wrong with the particular DVD disc being played back?

Another thing I noticed is that I've noticed white dots and white specks on some DVD products that have been reviewed here on DVD Talk, yet in those reviews DVD Talk does not mention these defects. Would the DVD Talk reviews not mentioning them mean that it's definitely a disc problem and not a source film problem (...because the reviewers would be sure to mention them if they occured on the reviewers' disc), or am I just more hardcore about this issue than most, and the reviewers may not have mentioned it simply because it doesn't bug the reviewers as much as it bugs me?

Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited by Navaros; 03-29-08 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-29-08, 05:24 AM
crs

It'll probably help if you mention some of the titles you're seeing this on.
Old 03-29-08, 06:07 AM
Cool New Member

Ok well for example I noticed it in the Fox R1 DVD release of The Shield Season 4. During the episode "Bang" on Disc 1, I noticed a whole lot of white dots and specks throughout the episode.

I just skimmed the episode again for this post, and paused it frame by frame after seeing a white dot or speck so I can be very specific. When going through frame by frame on pause, I was able to notice a white dot suddenly appear at 19:34 in the middle of the horizontal wood plank to the right of Glenn Close's head.

Another white dot suddenly appears on the back of Chiklis' shirt on the right side at 20:58.

Another white dot apprears a bit to the left of the top right corner of the screen at 21:00 when Chiklis' hand finished moving up the wall.

Another white dot appears just above Goggins' head at the very top of the screen at 21:02.

Another white dot apprears on the doorway to the left of Chiklis at 21:57.

It's especially noticeable during the next part, probably most noticeable of the whole episode. At 21:59 a large white speck appears on the shirt of man with glasses on near the middle, on the left side. At 22:00, another large white speck appears at the right side of the screen on the arm of that man's shirt. Two frames later at 22:00, a white dot appears on his shirt a few inches over from where the large speck just was. Two frames after that, also at 22:00, a white speck appears at the left side of the screen, just beside the man's right ear.

At 22:11, a white dot appears on the arm of Chiklis's shirt, towards the top of the screen.

I could find more if watched the whole episode again hopefully the above examples will give a good idea of if what I'm talking about is specific to my disc, or a universal defect.

Last edited by Navaros; 03-29-08 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-29-08, 06:34 AM
crs

I don't own The Shield, but I see dots and specks of dirt here and there on most DVDs with older transfers. Usually only visible in one frame. I'd think it's pretty normal for a transfer to have a few consistent dots like that, especially if it's only single dots and not big clusters.

If it was a whole bunch filling the screen or if they varied or changed location during each playback, I'd worry.