DVD Talk
What does everyone do with horribly obsolete hardware? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What does everyone do with horribly obsolete hardware?

Viper187
03-27-08, 02:05 PM
I'm thinking of getting rid of some older stuff I don't use anymore, but would anyone actually buy an old Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD-R/RAM recorder? I was using 1X media on the thing when I first got it. I'm not even sure it can record on 16X blanks. LOL

I'm planning to pawn some other ancient stuff if the shop will even buy it. I hate to get ass-raped, but I really want to dump this stuff for some cash with as little hassle as possible.

AGuyNamedMike
03-27-08, 02:23 PM
I stack it in the spare room like any real geek. Hell, I have a B&O TV set/VCR/motorized stand sitting in my spare room, similar to:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9615/d4fa1ue9.jpg

And an aging Onkyo ProLogic receiver along with some Radio Shack LX5s:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5617/67202thumb418da273ab510un3.jpg

And enough old computer parts to setup a repair shop/museum.

rw2516
03-27-08, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking of getting rid of some older stuff I don't use anymore, but would anyone actually buy an old Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD-R/RAM recorder? I was using 1X media on the thing when I first got it. I'm not even sure it can record on 16X blanks. LOL

I'm planning to pawn some other ancient stuff if the shop will even buy it. I hate to get ass-raped, but I really want to dump this stuff for some cash with as little hassle as possible.

Doubt the E30 could read today's 16x media. Might still work with RAM though. Could be used as a DVR by re-using a RAM disc over and over. The E30 had a bug in it. The black level for recording was set to PAL, no option to switch. All recordings came out significantly brighter than the source.

renaldow
03-27-08, 05:56 PM
I donate it to Goodwill along with all the other stuff I don't use anymore.

Spiky
03-27-08, 10:52 PM
That's your definition of old? I have a reel-to-reel tape recorder I'm trying to decide on whether to keep. And I pulled out my old laptop to play some classics a couple weeks ago, it's circa 1990.

Guess I keep stuff awhile.

Raul3
03-28-08, 12:27 PM
Craigslist is always a good option.

RockyMtnBri
03-28-08, 01:03 PM
To the closet! Really, I may give some stuff away, donate it, or pawn it. Remember, old to you may be new to someone else!

wergo
03-28-08, 03:24 PM
I usually go for the ass-raping; just dump it and just forget about the cash. Old betmax, VHS, laserdisc stuff, etc. just gets sent to the garbage dump. Same with the software.

Viper187
04-02-08, 07:10 AM
WTF? Pawn shop I went to wouldn't even buy my old DVD player. They only want newer models. I thought pawn shops used to buy pretty much anything.

dtcarson
04-02-08, 07:35 AM
I always thought of pawn shops as garage sale type places. However, I have found five year old used crap for twenty bucks more than the brand new model from an actual store. And last time i traded some games in, I got about ten cents each (which they then tried to sell for 20 bucks each.)
I usually keep it. I have an attic full of crap. I may try to sell/trade some of it (old games or movies that I know I'll never play or watch again), or give to family members, but I can't make myself throw the stuff away.

Superman07
04-02-08, 07:38 AM
I thought I had seen a local store here called, "I Saw it on eBay" or something to that affect. I assumed you'd take stuff in for them to sell and they'd get a cut from the winning sale. Be even better I suppose if they took care of the shipping.

I've tried to look it up online, but no joy. I'll have to make a point of driving out that way to see what it really is.

Superman07
04-02-08, 07:40 AM
I know there are also some recycle service offered throught he likes of Costco and Best Buy, but they seem limited on what they'll actually give you money for (doesn't mean they won't take it though).

I know I'd like to get rid of my Genesis, Game Gear and PS1, but Gamestop would probably give me $20 for the lot. :(

Edit: http://bestbuytradein.com

C_Fletch
04-02-08, 06:59 PM
WTF? Pawn shop I went to wouldn't even buy my old DVD player. They only want newer models. I thought pawn shops used to buy pretty much anything.

Yea, used to. Now they have about 1000 dvd players sitting in their back room while all along they price them at $14.99 and up. Heck, i;d take a couple off their hands for $5. Pawn shops are getting very picky. I brought in a pair of KLH speakers and they wouldn't give me anything. Too big they said. Unless it;s a HTIB they dont want it.

Johnny Fever
04-02-08, 07:38 PM
I donate it to Goodwill along with all the other stuff I don't use anymore.

ITA. It's the best way to go. The Salvation Army will take in old electronics. You'd be surprised to see how many people living in poverty don't have many things that we take for granted (TV's, DVD players, CD players, etc.) I recently dropped off some clothes to the SA and brought along an old boombox with a combo cd/casette deck. Before I walked inside the place, an elderly man that apparently frequents the SA came up to me and asked me if he could have the Boombox. So I gave it to him and he couldn't have been happier. To me the old that radio was just a piece of junk sitting in my closet gathering dust, but to that old man it was a valuable item.